Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JSC's card Jahre Viking  (Read 9482 times)

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
JSC's card Jahre Viking
« on: September 22, 2012, 04:06:41 am »

Greetings to all.

In one of the recent MB mags there was an advert, as there usually is, for Marcle Models, who are suppliers of card models. What caught my eye is that they were advertising the new JSC Jahre Viking http://store.jsc.pl/?d=produkt&id=286. JSC (jsc.pl) make a number of card models in various scales and various subject matter. Given my interest in this vessel (reference my ULCC thread somewhere here) I thought I really needed to get hold of this card version so as to aid my larger RC build.

Having decided to source it directly from JSC - a process that was not without a little confusion around the ordering and dispatch - I duly received notification of the package care of NZ Post on the 2nd and final (there was a first?!?!) attempt of notification of it's awaiting my pickup as it was too big to deliver and if I didn't pick it up in 7 days it would be returned to sender. Needless to say I hastened to get it!

On arrival I opened the package and found not only the JV but two sheets making up a second model that had been included. I'm not honestly sure what it is at this point other than a warship of some sort as I haven't paid it much attention - and my 8 year old son is angling for it anyway :)

I have never attempted a card model before - other than one shared and forgettable attempt with my son (maybe 6 years at the time) to assemble a card model that came in the MMI a few years ago. What I found was a rather nice stapled together book in A4 size (more or less):

This contained some info about the ship in Polish (gulp) along with some Polish instructions (again gulp):

Fortunately at the back of the booklet this was all repeated in English!

There are also schematics of some, but not all, of the construction stages.

This representation of the JV is a waterline model at 1:400 making it a bit over 1.1 metres in length. So a suitable board was purchased for the model to sit on. Additionally the piping is not included in the model and requires separate purchase of suitable lengths and diameters of brass to complete. Additionally there are some laser cut parts that can be purchased - I decided not to get these.

End this post.
Alister

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
Re: JSC's card Jahre Viking
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 04:39:46 am »

You might note on the bottom left corner of the two previous pic's of the booklet that there was a little damage to the edge. This appears to be not making much difference as I progress.

Anyway, having never (well...) attempted a card model before I was somewhat surprised at the amount of cutting required! This is a lengthy process that seems much more involved than working with a wooden kitset. I suspect it is actually quicker, but I have to say that it feels like it takes longer and on several occasion I had to sit back and take a break or stop altogether as I just couldn't focus my eyes on the lines for cutting.

The way that this works is that you create some base structure on which the outer layers of the hull and deck sit. This, as I noted previously, involves a lot of cutting and there are at least 6 parts to each section and each section must be cut, scored and folded, before the frames are added (more of the cut, score and fold) and then other bits are added. What one ends up with is something that looks like this:

and

In this next image I have very amateurishly indicated the various parts. Note that parts 7 and 8 aren't visible in this view. These parts are glued into cutouts and allow for the transition from a rounded edge on the join from the side of the hull to the deck. If that's not clear, don't worry as it will eventually become apparent what I mean...

The instruction suggest to use PVA or similar glue. I'm actually using CA to stick the parts down then I'm reinforcing the joint with PVA.
You can also see in the last two images the tabs that need to be cut around and scored and folded top make the join. The Triangular tabs that go up the side of the folds are a little tricky because the card starts to bend itself where the tab narrows and not follow the score line - this can prevent the folds from getting all the way down into the "v".
Alister

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 04:58:58 am »

Eventually, after much squinting, cutting, scoring, folding and glueing one ends up with several of these sections.

And these need to be joined together and put on the base board. Now I don't recall that the instructions say to do this, but I have tacked these down to the base board with a dab of CA. I then glue the sections together making sure that they are lining up nicely.

The bow is another part made of numerous card sections and not only has the base part seen in the previous image but has the curved side as well - made up thus:

The end result is this - although there is still the stern section to go on here:

In this image you can see the cutouts and inserts that aid that transition from rounded edge to square:

And that's where I'm up to.
Alister

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 01:34:55 am »

Once the stern is completed, the whole base looks like this:

But there were some issues doing the base - I thought it was going quite well until I got to the last side and ended up having to cut the piece. Fortunately it gets covered, but I can see myself having to tickle it up with a bit of sandpaper. Also the transom isn't square - looking carefully a pencil line can be seen on the board and you can see how the transom cuts across it a bit.

Additionally I had to do a bit of tweaking of the tabs that can bee seen on the stern section. There are numerous of these that have to go under the folder base and be glued in place to locate everything. Because the frames that I put in were not quite in the right place, some of the tabs had to be trimmed or cut away entirely to allow everything to fit. However, I rather suspect that this might have been needed anyway.
Alister

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 09:18:27 am »

The next step is to put the deck on - a relatively simple matter of cutting out the sheet, lining it up and gluing it down. I used my rather large book to hold the sections down while the glue was drying.

This goes together fairly well and there are a number of marks on the sections to allow them to be lined up accurately. Suffice it to say that mine did not... Despite my best efforts, something somewhere was out of alignment in the middle section of the hull and, well, things were a little bit out. Only a few mil's you understand, but enough to get me worried. The last few sections of deck heading aft had a little shaving process take place as they were fitted, but interestingly the final aft section needed very little assistance to get it to line up. As each section is laid down the card wraps over the edge, turning into the hull and eventually folds underneath where it is also glued.

A side effect of the book being used to press the deck sections down is that they are not entirely flat and one can now see the ridges created by the folded sections underneath.

As you can see above that has left at least one small gap that I need to fix.

Alister

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 05:48:17 pm »

Hi Alister

Nice to see what you are up to. There is a site that might interest you http://www.papermodelers.com/

Dave

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 09:45:38 am »

Hi Dave,

Good to hear from you too. This is not all that I'm up to either, just haven't started another thread yet... One model keeps distracting me from the other.

I had spotted papermodellers before and had a bit of a look - I may have even signed up. Car modelling is harder than it looks, IMHO - you have to be accurate at the outset, whereas with wood there's a certain latitude for error!
Alister

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 04:06:43 am »

More progress:

Not as nicely done as I would like...

Adding detail to the deck:

Oops! Forgot to rotate that one...

Off to the West Island for a week with the family...
Alister

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 11:24:27 pm »

Not huge amounts of progress with this since the last post unfortunately - I have to say I'm not finding it to be enthralling to do and the mistakes, whether you can see them or not, I'm finding unencouraging... Anyway, we press on slowly.

I've just realised I haven't taken a photo of the pipe supports as completed (but not painted). These are made of 1/16" plastic rod, as trying to make these out of card was proving beyond my ability. At 1/16 they're a little large, but I wont tell if you don't :)

The next step is on to the superstructure. Yay!
Alister

skippbh

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 03:02:20 am »

Good day Alister

I am following your progress closely having purchased the JSC model with all the etched 'bits'. GREAT job so far!

My own experience in scratch build ship modelling has been wood and styrene so your experience using pure card is very interesting for me.

The models paper hull structure offers 'valleys' that card, when unsupported, tends to follow so the result is an unrealistic ridged look. I don't think the book paper weight you used had anything to do with this. The main deck should be curved but at least without undulations so all the deck pipes and other stuff on this ships main deck is easier to model. I might consider taping the hull structures valleys or using sheet styrene to give some support before the deck goes on. These things that upset the perfectionist in us (as modelers) tend to disappear once the deck detail gets built and I see this problem beginning to go away looking at your photos.

What you have done so far is really excellent and please continue to share your build experiences.
SKIPPBH

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 09:44:37 pm »

Hi SKIPPBH,

thanks for your comments.

Frankly I'm finding this card stuff way too challenging for my liking - the tolerances seem very close and consequently there is no "wiggle room", stuff either fits or it doesn't. Not that I'm about to give up, but procrastination is rife...

WRT to the deck and the "valleys" as you call them - I suspect the problem is more the card getting wet from the generous quantities of PVA that I used. So the card gets wet, expands and then we get the dips in the surface. I think it looks
worse in the photos to be honest, but as you say, might make it interesting when it comes to the piping and deck fittings etc.

Regards,

Alister.
Alister

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 10:06:42 am »

procrastination is rife...
I am a fellow sufferer ... alas a chronic case. Keep up the good work Alister.... someone has to  :embarrassed:

Dave

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 07:51:05 pm »

Thanks Dave,

you almost make me feel guilty about the lack of progress.

Almost... :)
Alister

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 07:43:39 pm »

Alisterl
Have you ever thought of trying  Delux Materials card glue its very good much better then pva.
                           Regards Howard.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 10:00:32 pm »

Sorry Howard - this topic is 2 years old now..........I think he may have given up, but I hope not!

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 11:11:29 pm »

Yes am thinking the same Carl. shame would look nice in 1:70 scale next to our SD14,s if we could find a big enough lake.
                                                                                          Regards Howard.

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 11:10:37 pm »

Hi Carl & Howard,

I've almost given up - having said that I've done very little building in the last 18 months for various reasons anyway and this is one of the items that has suffered. The biggest problem I've been having is with getting sufficient light on the subject - particularly as tend to have time for these things during evenings.

Howard - thanks for the info on the glue - I'll have to see if that's available here in NZ. I went with PVA 'cos that's what I had.

Regards to all.
Alister

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 11:36:56 pm »

Hi Alister,
Glad to see your still with us  hope you can get the card glue where you are as its very good stuff, At the moment am building a sd14 card model cant understand how something thats doing my head in can also be such fun and enjoyable to I,ve looked a few times at the JAHRE VIKING as I once sailed as a seaman on BP tankers on 250,000 tonners which at the time was about the biggest in the world so was watching your build with great interest would like your views on it, even doing one at 1:200 scale I hope you can find the time to carry on with your build.
                                 Regards Howard.

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
The worm turns...
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 06:59:31 am »

... slowly...

so it works out that, kind of as I was hoping this card model is really useful for getting the large working model right. It was very useful when it came to laying out the major deck components. SO on that basis I decided to assemble some more of it.

This is the main superstructure looking aft:

and from the sides:

Unfortunately I seem to have lost the main bridge parts - although I have yet to have an exhaustive look in the room where the model has been sitting.
At the moment the top of the aft SS is not fixed on - it needs a little fettling to fit nicely to the forward SS.

No doubt there will be more progress...
Alister
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.