Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Missouri in for refit  (Read 9461 times)

kiwi96

• Full Mayhemer
Missouri in for refit
« on: September 22, 2012, 04:40:26 am »

Well I have finally gotten my workshop up and running again. Only 18months since moving house.
First up is a refit on my USS Missouri. As you can see she has sustained some battle damage during this time.
Going to replace her after deck, stern 40mm tubs, add more deatil to superstructure and then set her during a air attck and will be adding around 200 figures and repositioning all guns to simulate battle stations.
Heres how she looks at present.

As you can see she is well ready for repairs.
Will keep you all posted on progress.
Adrian.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
Re: Missouri in for refit
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 09:03:46 am »

It looks as if she needs some TLC.   Please keep us informed of progress.
The Lake Illawong Missouri has had a retro fit from the Gulf war to 1946.
Something you wont see full size:- U.S.S. Missouri leading K.G. Bismark and H.M.S. Cornwall

kiwi96

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 08:34:11 pm »

Well with the year ending I thought it was time to tackle this project. So to date all fittings have been removed and the deck is now already to be removed.

kiwi96

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 09:27:52 pm »

Well I have removed all the old styrene deck and have fitted some new braces. These have pulled in the sides of the hull slightly to give a more accurate profile from what it was before. Need to seal the new timbers then sort out where to place new deck fixings.

The new plywood deck has been cut and fits snug. Not looking forward to replacing all the fittings but it has to be done.

She will look good once completed with my new positionable 20mm mounts and action figures.
Till next installment.
Adrian.

Donald M

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 09:27:55 pm »

Hello

Cracking model, love the detail. What is the scale???.

I have scratch built a 1:192 scale Iowa as per post 80's re-fit with the Tomahawk and Harpoon missiles, easier than making all the 6", anti-aircraft armament and aircraft, etc. I cheated a little by using 1 UK one pence pieces for the 6" barbettes and some USN and R N (wash lockers etc) "deck furniture" from the Haynes catalogue. The Phalanx and chaff dispensers were the most fustrating to make because of their small size and/or multiple parts.

Regards

Donald Morrison

kiwi96

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 03:51:18 am »

Donals.
She is 1:96 built on a Scaleshipyard hull. Fittings by John Haynes. After the re decking I am intending to install all new 20mm  positionable cannons and place around 200+ figures which I have hand crafted to simulate action satations. Keep a lookout for updates on this post. Have since removed forwrd deck to have it replaced as well.
Cheers,
Adrian.

kiwi96

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 05:20:17 am »

New forward and aft deck ready to be fitted.

Keep this progress up and she may be ready for the Cambridge Armistice day regatta.

kiwi96

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 03:17:47 am »

Well the Barbettes have been installed and both decks trimmed and all additional supports installed. Prime coat applied and raedy for sanding and final coat. While deck was off I have re grease shaftes and strengthen around where batteries and ballest are placed. Now need to find a supplier of WW11 US Deck Blue in a spray or larger can than the Humbrull tins.

kiwi96

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 01:59:58 am »

Just a quick update.
Deck fitted and all gun tubs completed. Painting of deck complete as is that for gun tubs. Slow task if replacing all fittings soon to begin.

kiwi96

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 11:17:40 am »

Finally making some progress on refit. Forward area now complete. Only require railings and armament. All this to be fitted last. Also adding more details to rest of ship at same time as had left a bit off when originally built.

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 03:00:54 pm »

That is going to be a right looker when it's completed. What is the length of it ? I may consider one for my next project.
Cheers
Phil

kiwi96

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 11:32:54 pm »

Scale is 1/96. Hull is from Scale Ship Yard. Overall length is 2794mm. Also fitting by John Haynes.
Just about to start on the aft area after adding some missing detail to super structure. Will post progress photos as I go.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 11:46:08 pm »

I once walked [on the real BB63] from the quarter deck where the bronze plaque is located to the bow.......the walk took over an hour...so many distractions...so much history.... O0....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 12:57:53 am »

Likewise my daughter and other family members visited Pearl harbour last month but not me  >>:-( >>:-(

At least they brought me home some pics and a tiny model, 9 inches, made in USA, of the Missouri.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 01:19:03 am »

ok2 ....my walk on BB63 was back in 1986 when she was here for our 75th Naval Centenary

As she was approaching her berth under the 250 tonne hammer head crane @ Garden Island [just 50m from my office %)] ...........a group of anti nuke protesters in rubber duckies attempted to cross her bow

Brilliantly...a helo pilot from the HMS Illustrious Class carrier moored just down @ the Loo........flew north 300m.......hovered over the protesters ... >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( ....the sky pilot changed the helo rotor angle & blasted the rubber duckies away & toward the harbour bridge  {-) .....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 04:34:59 pm »

I just been looking into the cost of it as future project, that will cost more than our car is worth!!! I can dream though, that cost's me nothing. Looking forward to some more pic's. Thanks.
Cheers.
Phil

kiwi96

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 07:23:11 pm »

I know what you mean. By using John Haynes fittings and the exchange rate at the time when I purchased her she owes me in excess of NZD$14000.00. With it being spent over 7 years of building not that bad.

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 09:02:52 am »

Hamilton on Feb 9th would be a good time and place for recommisioning Adrian  :} O0 %) :-))

kiwi96

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 10:27:37 am »

Yes, just got Raynor's email too. Sorry but will not be ready by then as away on holiday soon so no work done. As per my agreement with Barry., I will have her ready for this years Cambridge Armistice event. Need to clear slipway for the Richelieu build  as this has been hanging around far to long too. 

kiwi96

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 07:28:03 am »

Just a quick update.
Aft deck area. Progress has been quick and now only need to add catapults and crane. Have also been busy adding more details to superstructure which I had left off during original build. Overall pleased with turn out.

I will not be adding the 20mm mounts at present as have nearly finished my hand crafted positionable versions so will be placing them along with their crew. Have also designed 15+ crew member positions to place all over her and thus bring her to life.
These are just about ready to be spun cast. Will keep you all upto date on progress.
Adrian.

kiwi96

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 04:45:37 am »

Progress has been steady. All but aircraft catupaults to fit and all the railings. Just drilled over 230 holes for the railings. Thats not so bad, Me thinks threading the 5amp fuse wire will be the hardest and most fustrating part. Least the end is in sight. Then the Richelieu build will continue.

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 09:26:10 am »

Hi Adrian, not a huge turn out but a great day at Hamilton Lake yesterday never the less. Larger boats were definitely needed, near swamping of my River Queen and so I did not try the Windermere launch. Steam Picket Boat coped OK though. Interested in your earlier comment about making crew members. Are they spun cast in a flexible mould and if so is it something you can do yourself? I have always struggled to find suitable crew and fittings for my boats, especially the larger scale ones such as the Picket Boat which is 12:1. Any suggestions gratefully received. Cheers, Ian.

kiwi96

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 10:39:53 am »

Ian. Yes they are to be spun cast in light metal. I have had a guy in Auckland  hand craft about 20 different figure poses. Also a new position able 20mm mount.

I hope to start spinning these around end March. Will be putting around 200 figures on her as well as 20+ of the new 20mm mounts. Have set up a WEBB shop as there is the  possibility others out there may want some.
Also started placing the 200+ stanchons today. Not looing at threading the 16m of 5 amp fuse wire railing cable though.
Adrian.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 06:43:29 pm »

Hi Adrian, Lovely work sofar, it should be stunning on the water - real presence at that size :-))

Just in case you hadn't seen the stuff, plastic coated jewellery wire is very thin, doesn't kink as much as fuse wire, and slips through stanchion holes a treat ;)

Good luck

Tony

kiwi96

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2014, 05:08:30 am »

Well the forward section now complete.

As mentioned earlier the 20mm mounts will be replaced and figures added to man battle stations.
Aft section to be completed in next few weeks.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.