Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet another bait boat mod! Help with motor needed please!  (Read 6835 times)

Pointy

• Shipmate
Yet another bait boat mod! Help with motor needed please!
« on: September 25, 2012, 11:55:41 am »

Hi Gang,

I bought a bait boat from eBay with a view to making some mods, but I am struggling with the motor. I have successfully done all the electrics including a 2.4ghz conversion using my old hitech focus 6, built a pic based rc switch for the headlight. built a pic based battery monitor circuit with rgb led. I have also added an Action P80 speed controller with a  P95 fuse board. Finally I replaced all the navigation leds and added a reed switch to the bait paddle, so I know when there has been a successful bait drop. All the electrics are working great.

The part I am struggling with is the part I thought would be easy.( ;) funny how that always happens). The plan was to replace the horrible split ring joining the motor/shaft with a nice quiet coupling. So after some research I got a heavy duty one from MMB. The problem being the boat was designed for the split ring, and had plastic brackets that the motor sat on, held in place by a clamp.  I had to move the motor back a couple of cms to accommodate the new coupling which meant the motor sat up at a nasty angle. So i cut the front bracket off back to the hull (see pics below). The plan was to simply bed the motor in some silicone, but this didn't work as even with no silicone at the back of the motor, it sits up throwing the alignment out. The original motor according to the manual is a 755, but I can find no info other than a replacment one here.. It has a 5mm shaft, is about 42mm dia and about 60-70mm long. It spins the 50mm prop on dry dock at about 6800 rpm and draws 2.2A.

Mount points with front one cut away.

Original motor in place with new coupling.

Anyway I have ordered a 550 motor which is a bit smaller diameter and should allow some packing/padding or silicone underneath. I am just looking for the best suggestions for mounting it, making the motor/boat as quiet as possible I tried wrapping the old motor in grease proof paper but the silicone still stuck to it. What do you guys use? Any suggestions welcome.

On top of that I noticed the prop shaft is bent at the prop end, but I think Mark is going to sort me out a new one as I seem to have a rather non standard 3mm threaded prop.

Thanks in advance,

Les

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Yet another bait boat mod! Help with motor needed please!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 04:24:01 pm »

Hi Les and welcome to Mayhem.  I've moved your question over to the Bait boat section as this is where the enthusiast congregate.

If you would like to put your location in your Profile then perhaps local members might be able to assist you.

Cheers

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Pointy

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 09:57:29 am »

Thanks for the welcome, and sorry for posting in the wrong place, I didn't even notice the Bait Boat section.

I think i may have solved the problem, I did an experiment wrapping the motor in grease proof paper and then smearing it with vasoline, and it worked a treat and the silicone didn't stick to it. I am just waiting on the new propshaft from MMB and a new prop. The new motor is sufficiently smaller in diameter to allow some silicone underneath without throwing out the alignment. My only concern is that the motor is about a 1000 rpm slower, but maybe with the new brass 50mm prop it won't make much difference to the speed, it has however halved the current drain down to about 1 amp. ( Battery life is probably more important than speed in a bait boat anyway)

Regards,

Les

Doca

• Shipmate
    • Borina Amaterska Svastara
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 03:42:51 pm »

Battery life is of a paramount importance in bait boats realm. Speed is not completely insignificant but requirements are very relaxed... if you make it traveling 1 to 1,5m per second that is more than enough speed for bait boat.
If you are arguing with an idiot, first make sure that he is not doing the same thing.

Pointy

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 09:35:45 am »

Well I finally got to test the boat this weekend and it was semi successful.

The boat is now very quiet, in fact in the water I couldn't hear it at all. The new electronics worked perfectly as did the bait dropper modification. The only problem is the speed, it's painfully slow.

I will weigh and measure it tonight and perhaps someone could give some suggestions for alternative motors.

Regards,

Les

Pointy

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 07:43:04 am »

The boat is about 6kg with the 12ah 6V battery and a separate receiver battery. It is using a 50mm 3 blade brass prop. Some pics and info on the original boat can be found at http://www.heg-solutions.nl/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

Regards,

Les

Pointy

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 07:08:25 pm »

I added an article about the boat to my website, if anyone is interested click here.

Regards,

Les
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.