Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Building a Wooden Toolbox for my Steam Launch Accessories  (Read 15746 times)

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
Building a Wooden Toolbox for my Steam Launch Accessories
« on: September 26, 2012, 12:23:07 pm »

Give me a set of plans and I can make most things but I'm not very good when it comes to art or design. I have built a beautiful steam launch and I have found that I really enjoy sailing her. With an electric boat I only need to carry the transmitter but the steam launch requires much more such as :-
gas canisters (4), fire extinguisher, igniter, syringes (for grease, oil and water), pliers, screwdrivers, spanners, box spanners, spare Rx battery, matches, silicone sealant, knife, wire brushes, tubing and tweezers plus assorted nuts, bolts and washers. I carry all this in B & Q compartment boxes in a fold down, plastic storage box.
      I want to make a nice wooden tool case with carrying brass handle, hinges and fasteners. I want to construct it in the style of an apprentice piece, such that peeps admiring the launch will also look favourably on the tool case. Ideally, when open, every item should be visible and accessible , ie in compartments not drawers. I'm thinking spring clips and magnetic holders, a folding down work area, slide out and fold up boat stand/steady. It doesn't need legs as where I sail her has picnic tables, one of which appears to have become "ours" on Sundays.

This is the situation at present.

I would be grateful for any ideas, photos or tips to get me started. Thanks in anticipation.
Jerry.

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
Re: Building a Wooden Toolbox for my Steam Launch Accessories
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 01:27:29 pm »

Hi Jerry, is it something like this you are after?   http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/NEW-_TRADITIONAL_TOOLMAKERS_TOOL_CHEST.html
Heres a downloadable plan    http://blog.lostartpress.com/2011/11/07/download-plans-for-the-traveling-tool-chest/
 Although the plan isnt free, you may get some ideas....   http://store.finewoodworking.com/dovetail-toolbox-065109.html

Regards,
Nick.
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 01:50:13 pm »

Jerry, there are a good variety of tool chests on here, some with plans.....  http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/resources/index.php?search=WOOD%20TOOLBOX&page=4  There are five pages in total so there may be something useful or one that you could easily adapt to be what you're after.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 02:37:55 pm »

Thanks guys, I knew you wouldn't let me down. I'm very taken with the Chronos chest. That would be quite simple to make. I think I can beat the price but not by much. But hey, the wife says I need a project or she won't be answerable for the consequences!

This is what I've got to get sorted.

Support kit.

So keep the ideas coming folks. Maybe somebody made one and won't mind me cribbing.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 12:01:37 pm »

I decided, under duress, to go with the Chronos type. Yesterday spent working up a 1:1 scale drawing. So off to the shops. 50p for 30 minutes parking, 85p in the art shop for a big piece of paper and the rest of the time looking for a T square. Not found so back home to make one out of my old meter rule and a piece of scrap sapele. Began by using approx dimensions from the advert and decided to make whole chest from 12mm oak faced ply cos I have a fair quantity of left over oak from a previous furniture project. All joints will be either dado or tongue and groove and PVA adhesive. The top two small drawers will be sub divided as will the uppermost large drawer. The box formed by the lid will accommodate 5 gas canisters and the fire extinguisher. Will require to source from tinterweb the following:-

3 brass hinges, 8 brass corners, 2 suitcase type brass lid clips, 10 ickle brass drawer knobs, 1 brass 2 lever drawer lock, 2 brass lid steadies, 1 brass escutcheon and military brass inset flush folding handle to cart it all round with.

Did I mention brass? ARE THEY MAD?!! That little lot would cost nearly as much as the chest for crying out loud. I'm not going to buy the chest cos it's oriental and I can do better. But  I had to do a rethink and go initially for nickel plate and will just have to keep my eyes open at car booties for brassbound boxes and fit brass later, as it becomes available. The knobs have been downgraded to beech and I will probably ebonise them. And it all still cost 40 quids!

So that's where I stand, waiting for postie. When I can measure the knobs I can finalise the drawer size and finish the drawings and get making. Overnight I remembered that I had a pair of oak doors which were doubling as shelves so will make all out of solid oak.

Time to wake Kity.      Martin, I'll do a build log of the chest so would you move it to where it'll do most good and rename it "Building A Tool Chest". Ta.
Jerry.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 05:05:45 pm »

Hi Jerry, I see you are well on your way to making your tool/storage box. However I had a similar problem & I solved it by buying fishing tackle boxes made by a company called Plano. They are readily available here in sporting goods stores (Canada)but I think they are also sold in the U/K. I use them for just about everything to do with my model boats,including assigning one to each build. An added bonus is they are reasonably priced, well made & come in all shapes & sizes. I would recommend them to anyone in the model boat building hobby.I use 7 in my workshop. Mick B.
Mick B.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 01:26:39 pm »

Topic name changed on request.  :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 01:54:51 pm »

The Scandinavian sales shop, with the four letter word for c*ap used to sell a line of multi drawered wooden boxes.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 01:58:27 pm »

Save yourself a few quid on the project - find your local pool / snooker table suppliers and tap them up for some second hand wool* cloth from a table recover....looks nice and helps protect your tools.

* a lot of operators use the new fangled nylon'napless' cloth - not as good for drawer lining, too thin. If you have a problem 'pm' me.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 05:46:51 pm »

Thanks for the input guys. While waiting for the hardware to arrive I've been getting a newer caravan from down south and fettled it up to my spec and got the old one ready for sale. We are going up to Coniston next week to do a recce for the Coniston Regatta next May/June.
Got started on the box today. Took down the three oak shelves,

and ripped them down to manageable widths for the planer.

Then I used the surface planer to plane the face sides and edges before putting them all through the thicknesser and planing down to 12mm thick.

Using 12mm stock simplifies construction as all dados are 12mm with the exception of drawer slides which are 10mm. After planing, some beautiful modullary rays are showing. Tomorrow will do a lot of arranging to make best use the rays.
Jerry.

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 10:11:07 pm »

Hi Jerry, I have a "field" cabinet which I take both sailing as well as flying.  In the photo, the top table is removed both for transporting as well as for a flying outing.  On a flying outing, the planes fit snuggly into frames at either end which double as holders for the carrying handle.  The legs come off by loosening one wing nut at each end, so it is easy to set up.  The drawers are used for various parts, which will include steam parts when I get that going.  Thought I would put this up for general interest. Brian

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 05:08:03 pm »

Wow Brian, does it play tunes as well?! See you are in Capetown, give my love to Panama Jacks. I often go there when I stop for bunkers, water and stores.
today spent, between interuptions, making up a panel with biscuits to make the end panels and front.

Gone are the days of wide boards and anyway my Kity can only handle 5" wide stock.

Tomorrow will make up boards out of the plain timber for base, drawer dividers and topbox bottom. Still got to find decent oak for top, back and drawer fronts. Am in the process of making up each part, slightly oversize. When all gathered together will start milling tongues, grooves and dadoes.
Jerry.

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 07:03:36 pm »

Wow Brian, does it play tunes as well?! See you are in Capetown, give my love to Panama Jacks. I often go there when I stop for bunkers, water and stores.
today spent, between interuptions, making up a panel with biscuits to make the end panels and front.

Might I be so bold as to suggest using Ginger nuts for the joints rather than its much less robust cousin the Digestive?

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 05:51:14 pm »

Haven't been moving along as quickly as I had hoped but what's new. The last few days I have cut all the parts to slightly oversize then planed to exact size. Next I did all the tongue and grooves on the table saw-----

--and lastly today I did all the dados.

If any one isn't familiar with a dado cutter here are a couple of pics. Basically it consists of two 8" blades, 4 thick chippers and a set of shims. Mine is unfortunately imperial but I get by. It's so much more convenient than routing. As a matter of interest, nearly all my woodwork is a la "New Yankee Workshop" as taught by Uncle Norm.

So tomorrow a quick sanding for the inside bits, glue in the drawer sliders and a dry assembly to make sure the drawers are going to work ok. If all ok will glue up.

I can'y manage without a spell chicker!!!! OK?

Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 08:23:40 pm »

started fitting lock, striker plate and handles. also did beading on lid, door and drawer fronts. jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 07:20:42 pm »

Yesterday I glued up the carcass.
Obviously a bit of fettling needed here.

Stavros

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 11:28:00 pm »

That really looks the bees knees of boxes Jerry nice coat of varnish to finish it off and it will look fantastic

Dave

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 09:38:45 am »

Thats some nice carpentry..... do you do commisions? lol
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 10:05:43 am »

Thats some nice carpentry..... do you do commisions? lol

That's not 'carpentry' that's darn fine Cabinet Making  :-)) :-)) :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 05:40:36 pm »

Nice box, you'll be knocking out dodgy Chippendale sideboards next :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 06:05:36 pm »

There are "Cabinet Makers" who do a long apprenticeship and make a piece far better than this to get released. Then there is a bloke making a cabinet. That's me. It's full of stupid mistakes and I know where they are but it will look ok in the end. Never the less thankyou all for your kind words. It's solid oak and maybe my scantlings were a little over generous so next project could well be a trolley to cart it round on!
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 05:11:36 pm »

The last few days spent fitting hinges,clasps and drawer knobs plus some final fettling to make everything fit and line up as it should. Took a bit of time getting drawers to run smoothly and lie flush with equal gaps all round. The carcass wracked a little during glue up but a few minutes with the block plane disappeared that problem. I bought a box of assorted crosshead slotted brass screws from screwfix. I looked closely at a fair few but couldn't see any hallmarka on any of them. What's happened to the price of brass?!! So a little final sanding session then it's off to the finishing room.
Jerry.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 05:29:48 pm »

you fancy making another?
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 05:31:31 pm »

And another??

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 05:37:52 pm »

Jerry, as a retired time served joiner who used to make things like this for a living, I take my hat off to you.

An absolutely excellent "box". 
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.