Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Edward Pinniger - Thanks!  (Read 1527 times)

Lifeboat1

• Shipmate
Edward Pinniger - Thanks!
« on: September 17, 2012, 10:52:08 pm »

Just like to pass a thank you to Edward Pinniger for his input re Smasher/Sovremenny destroyer. I bought one of these when I realised it was quite a decent representation of a Sovremenny class destroyer. My intention had been to hit it with some grey spray and sail as was. I then saw EP's topic on the subject and was hooked. My finished articles (the second one was too cheap to miss) were never quite as nicely finished as as Edward's but they gave me a lot of fun and have turned out better than I would have imagined. I went the full way with them TX, ESC, twin rudders. I kept the original props and motors. Anyway Edward thanks for your input. Regarding any input I would make to the forum, I would be way out of my depth (no pun intended). The only thing I would add is that I did a very cheap conversion on a Severn rtr. The main problem with the boat was lack of speed control. I kept original pods but soaked them in a very pleasant smelling substance called Corrosion X which is supposed to waterproof electric/electronic components. Because the boat had "tank" steering I used the control unit RX18 and receiver board from a well known make of 1/16 scale model tank. Again I soaked these items as the pod motors and then used a small food container to replace the original plastic box in the hull which I cut away. Very cheap speed control and steering and also changeable crystals. Might be of info to someone, if already posted then my apologies.
Regards to all,
Lifeboat.     

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Edward Pinniger - Thanks!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 10:59:25 pm »

welcome aboard , i also have done the smasher/Sovremenny conversion  :-))
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=38588.0

Lifeboat1

• Shipmate
Re: Edward Pinniger - Thanks!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 11:45:02 pm »

Thanks Stormbringer.
Liked your Sovremenny. I ended up with two. I bought the first one and did it up per EP's posts, but not as good as his. I used White Ensign paint and some brass ladders. Made a  mast and added some railings. Fitted a proper radio and ESC, servo and twin rudders. Resealed the deck and it worked ok. Goes nice and slow but still has the speed boat effect when needed. I painted that one northern fleet grey with the red decks.  I saw the second one brand new for £22 inc p&p. Couldn't resist a bargin. Same again but with slightly more attention to detail and painted Baltic fleet grey. Kept original props and motors on both ships.
Both boats are a little lower in the water than I would like but I can live with it. I noticed that the deck of the second one was not glued and screwed but only glued which was helpful.
If I was doing anything like that again I would seriously consider using Heng long tank electronics as a cheap alternative. The range might be limited but with this type/size boat you wouldn't send them too far out anyway or you can hardly see them. As well as being cheaper the HL  electronics are smaller and lighter plus no need for rudder servo as you steer through the pops and have variable speed.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.