Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 40" displacement hull scale speed motor reccomendation please  (Read 1804 times)

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
40" displacement hull scale speed motor reccomendation please
« on: September 30, 2012, 01:49:13 pm »

as a fairly newby (well 30+ years since I last built a working RC car) I am likely to be building a 1/12 scale model of a 40 foot Norfolk broads wooden cruiser. now I know that I have a limited space under the centre cockpit for the motor (measurements make the clearance around the 40mm depth, but I may be able to gain a small amount there). due to the keel running under the prop and supporting the rudder behind there is probably only space for a 30-35mm prop, to match the original it would be a 4 blade prop (though the boat has also had a 3 blade prop in the past).
the boat hull is just a displacement hull, and maximum speed is around 12 knots (its only a 40 hp plant in the original) so the power requirements only need to be able to cope with scale speed - forward and reverse - though I guess the reverse speed would need to be proportional as well as forward.
So given all this from my model car days I would think that I needed a 380 motor to fit this space and give scale speeds, maybe even geared down.
now the question, what would you recomend to do the job, as I guess motors etc have changed a bit since I raced RC cars - I mean ESC's have come in - I remember building speed controls from copper coated boards and winding the resistance coils from nichrome wire (and watching them glow under full load).
so recommendations please  :-)
Grendel

bj

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 40" displacement hull scale speed motor reccomendation please
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 01:02:09 pm »

Think you might get some help from this link http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=37609.msg377048#msg377048 for hull/motor/prop

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 40" displacement hull scale speed motor reccomendation please
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 01:51:41 pm »

thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.