Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fishing Catamaran - I need your help please  (Read 3197 times)

iseenoships

• Shipmate
Fishing Catamaran - I need your help please
« on: September 28, 2012, 10:58:50 am »

Hi - further to my earlier post (Greetings) here are some pictures of the hull in question, it measures 28 inches long by 16 inches wide and 7 inches deep and is made of fibre glass.

The intention is to power it with 2 x Graupner 600 eco motors controlled with mtroniks speed controllers, fitted with 35 mm props and the volts provided by either a 4000 or similar nicad pack or a 6 volt gel cell - radio will be 27mhz as i have access to that.
My original plan was to use to separate set ups - ie two receivers - one in either half of the hull - is that a viable plan or is it better to go with one receiver and Y leads ?
Not sre about which batteriest to use - any thoughts - ideally id like to be able to charge them in situ - good idea or not ?
Not sure the best way to do the rudders and what servos to use - ive got a good selection of servos - futaba 3003s are good or slightly smaller hitec 101's.
Given the footprint of the hull Im guessing that weight wont be a major problem at this stage.
the intention is to put together something that a 10 yr old can drive around with confidence - so doesnt need to be too fast.
The intention is to molunt the motor/battery/receiver/esc on a ply wood plate attached to hardwood bearers bonded to the bottom of the hull - again is this a good idea.
lot more questions to come - not sure how to connect motor to prop shaft - one of the universal joint couplers looks good - how critical is it to gett the run dead straight. also what are the best types of rudder to use.
Sorry if this is a bit long but im a real new comer when it comes to boats - thanks in advance 

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Fishing Catamaran - I need your help please
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 11:28:45 am »

Do you know how many channels you will need?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

iseenoships

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 11:49:13 am »

The plan is to use two channels - one to operate the rudders and the other to make it go forwards and backwards - I believe the mtroniks speed controllers allow you to do that - although not sure what current rating ill need - 15 amps ??. There is no intention to have an frills, bells or whistles - the kiss principle is definately in operation.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 11:58:34 am »

Hi iseenoships,
have a look at the springer-cat build photo,s in the springer tug,s section they may help.

john

iseenoships

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 01:00:51 pm »

Hi John44 - thanks for that - how big is that - would appear to be a bit smaller than the hull ive got - appears that you are using nimh packs for the volts - im looking at using around 4000 mha ones - will that give a reasonable duration. Unfortunatelu i cant mount the batteries in the middle like you have so there will have to be a separate pack in each hull.

mikgo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 01:23:29 pm »

Hi
I have a Cat fishing boat from this web site www.modelsbydesign.co.uk It runs on 2x25 mtroniks esc and is powered by 2x 4.5 amp 12v batterys. this set up will give about 2hrs running time at a realistic speed. I will take some photo's over the weekend and post them on here ASAP. What is your location because if I am near we could arrange to meet some where.

Mick
if we didnt have boats, we'ved  have webbed feet

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 01:52:43 pm »

Hi - further to my earlier post (Greetings) here are some pictures of the hull in question, it measures 28 inches long by 16 inches wide and 7 inches deep and is made of fibre glass.

The intention is to power it with 2 x Graupner 600 eco motors controlled with mtroniks speed controllers, fitted with 35 mm props and the volts provided by either a 4000 or similar nicad pack or a 6 volt gel cell - radio will be 27mhz as i have access to that.
My original plan was to use to separate set ups - ie two receivers - one in either half of the hull - is that a viable plan or is it better to go with one receiver and Y leads ?

I would probably avoid 27Mhz, given that you can buy 2.4Ghz radios for £26 nowadays. You get to avoid frequency clash and interference issues - it's well worth it. See http://www.giantshark.co.uk/giantcod-24ghz-4channel-mode2-transmitter-p-403779.html for instance...

There's absolutely no reason to have two receivers, which will needlessly complicate cost and electronics.

Set each hull sponson up as one boat - put a wooden motor bearer in each sponson and run a prop-shaft to it. Having separate ones makes it easier to adjust the angles. The prop-shaft - coupler - motor shaft line needs to be as straight as possible.

Put a separate wood/plastic bearer in the middle of the boat for battery/radio mounting. Use one receiver, feeding a dual esc/mixer unit like Action Electronics http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/P94.pdf

That's all you need...

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 09:01:36 pm »

Hi John44 - thanks for that - how big is that - would appear to be a bit smaller than the hull ive got - appears that you are using nimh packs for the volts - im looking at using around 4000 mha ones - will that give a reasonable duration. Unfortunatelu i cant mount the batteries in the middle like you have so there will have to be a separate pack in each hull.

The hull measures 18"x 91/2" the nimh pack is a 8.4v 5000mahr ( mounted in a side pocket in the hull)
and both 540 motors are run from a Planet T5 radio system one 50 amp Tornado speed controller.
only the esc is mounted in the middle.

I have also built a trawl;er-cat, mbdesign, in that I fitted 2 Graupner 900 motors 2, 70mm props, 2 Tornado esc 2, 6volt 10amhr lead acid cells, one in each hull linked over to supply 12v to the esc.
The 2 speed controls are so I can have port and starboard motors on their own stick e.g L&r stick up and down.
Pictures in working boat section. Models by Design Trawler cat build.
Hope this helps.

john

iseenoships

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 06:27:02 pm »

Thanks for that -need to have a good study of your phots but that trawler is a pretty good image of what im trying to do - one of the reasons for using two speed controllers was the thought of being able tio use independant engines at some state.
First question is t he rudder - that looks a good way of doing it - presumably its an off the shelf item - appearsto just go through a single block in the bottom of the hull with a steering arm at the top - where did it come from - and what size wouldI be looking at.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 07:51:02 pm »

The Trawler-cat rudders were part of the Models by Design kit. but they do sell them separate.
They also supply various kort nose ls if you like that idea, check their website.
The ones for the Springer-cat were off the shelf brass rudders/posts. then modified to the size
and shape I wanted.( from any good model shop )
I can,t really make out the shape of the hull bottom from your photo, so I cant advise to the size
and type of rudder you require.
You will always need a block where your rudder post comes through the hull, I tend to use 3/4"
to 1" ply epoxy d  to the hull, it keeps the rudder post firm,some just fiberglass around the post.
Look at some of the builds on the forum, pictures are often better than words.
Especially if I am saying them {-) {-)

john

iseenoships

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 08:42:06 pm »

Ill take some pictures of the bottom but essentially its flat with a small V at the bottom - looking at your installation its different from what i was planning but may be more practical - i was thinking of mounting everything on one plate supported by cross members with just the rudder separate whereas most seem to prefer individual installations - what are your views on putting chargin sockets in the superstructure so that the batteries can be charged in situ ?? With your help it looks like im formulating a workable plan - which could be dangerous.

iseenoships

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 10:51:41 am »

Wheres the best place to buy stuff from - not a great lover of e bay would/ rather support a model shop - partially because if you get a problem you can use the phone. Also, is there a length that prop shaft shouldnt go beyond - not sure of the length yet but reckon that its going to be 8 - 9 inches - presumably it will need support inside the hull and possibly outside - but assume that would depend on the overhang outside.
will be publishing the proposed list of bits im going to need for perusal and comment - thanks

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 11:24:05 am »

Re:-  on board charging sockets, there is a post on the site explaining this but I can,t remember where
probably in the battery section. That is usually used where access to the batteries is difficult or the batteries
are heavy or linked.
For that reason they are probably a good idea, but you must make sure the charging circuit is isolated from the
running circuit.
8" to 9" props are not a problem, depending on the size of propeller you intend using you might have to use M5
and not M4 shafts.
Blackpool Model boat show is this month, you would get all the parts and loads of info from the traders and
exhibiting club stands.

john

manx venture

• Shipmate
  • trawler models
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 04:14:24 pm »

were did u get the numbers and suttonworkboats sticker from? im building an 8mtr sutton catamaran now, coming along nice, built from scratch for static display

iseenoships

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 04:19:38 pm »

they were on the hull when i was given it ill ask some questions for you from the owner and see if he can tell me - unfortunately im not sure of its origin. Ill what i can find out for you

manx venture

• Shipmate
  • trawler models
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 04:21:10 pm »

i built mine from plans i drew myself, its coming along slowly, very hard shape of hull to get right as the 1 im building has bulbous bows

iseenoships

• Shipmate
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 04:36:45 pm »

im not sure what that hull is actually based on - whatever i turn out is going to be based on a 10 metre one - as the father of the boy its intended for is the skipper/owner of a 10
 metre one.

manx venture

• Shipmate
  • trawler models
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 04:43:13 pm »

mines an 8mtr one, model of the manx cat PL.2 for the skipper

my progress so far

what im aiming for

iseenoships

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 06:29:39 pm »

Do you actually work/own the boat - appare3ntly they are a local company to where I live - my youngest lads a fisherman and knows dave sutton that owns the company - he is going to ask him about the transfers - or failing that - it may be worth getting in contact with the company themselves who are based in Newhaven where I live. It appears that Dave made that hull ive got.

iseenoships

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 06:35:05 pm »

What sort of size is that compared to the one im building/fitting out - would be interested to know what you power train etc is going to be and what sort of length you prop shaft is and what size rudders you are using.

manx venture

• Shipmate
  • trawler models
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 09:45:58 am »

i skipper a 10mtr steel trawler, building this for a mate who skippers/owns the sutton cat, pic above. this model is only for display so no electrics in her, its 18inch long and 11 wide, been to newhaven couple times, picked aboat up from there 2006. theres 3 sutton cats here on the isle of man, 2 8mtrs and 1 10mtr
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.