Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Desperado OBL problems / upgrade option / advice please  (Read 1769 times)

Andy-L

• Shipmate
  • Where there's a Will.....i wanna be in it !!!!
Desperado OBL problems / upgrade option / advice please
« on: October 01, 2012, 10:58:40 pm »

Hi All,

Being pretty new to the forums and the RC boat world some of what i am about to post may well seem pretty newbie so apologies in advance and please feel free to advise on any missing information for help which will help in any future posts.

I have bought the above subjected boat and seem to be suffering from a few teething problems. Firstly when i start off with a new battery on first full throttle power it goes like a bullet then after the first turn or any kind of slow down with the throttle it slows down to what i would say 50-60% of speed. This is only after a 10-20 second blast from start not like 5 minutes or something then continues to run at that speed for the duration of the remaining battery life. Secondly the water cooling system only seems to be a very slight dribble even at full throttle and from lack of experience i was wondering if this was right or if something is not running correctly or to be fair the rudder seems to be slightly bent / offset due to a collision with a branch i didn't see in the water so could this be the problem im wondering ? Also would it be feasible to put a separate water cooling system in all together to completely bypass the rudder cooling system ?

I am also looking to upgrade the motor and no doubt the speed controller in the near future so any advice would be much appreciated as to how high i can spec this model without having the boat spin instead of the prop  {-) %% O0

Desperado OBL the following specs are...

Length       : 48"
Beam         : 13"
Height       : 9.5"
Weight      : 9.3 lb ( 4200g )

Motor        : OBL 43/15-46M ( outrunner )

Voltage Range 9.6V-18.5V
KV Rating  ( RPM/volt )  1500 RPM/V
Current Range 4-55 A
Max Surge Current 60A/60S
Internal Residence 9.5m

Controller   : BLC-60M

SPECS:Continuous Current: 60A
          Burst Current (10s): 120A
          BEC Mode: Switch
          BEC Output: 6V/3A
          Battery Compatibility: 2-6S LiPo cells, 6-18 NiMH cells

Batteries....

At the moment i have been using it with a single 4S LIPO 25C 14.8 V 3350 mAH and today have tried a 5S LIPO 20C 18.5V 4000 mAH.
Tomorrow i will be trying first in single mode Gens Ace 5500mah 25C 5S Lipo Battery and then 2 of them in parallel.

Any Help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest Regards

Andy L

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
Re: Desperado OBL problems / upgrade option / advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 12:18:13 am »

At a guess id say the cell count setting for your speed controller is wrong, kicking in low voltage cut off too early.  Now judging by the fact your jumping between 4 cell and 5 cell lipos you know to change the speed controller to suit right?

Andy-L

• Shipmate
  • Where there's a Will.....i wanna be in it !!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 08:36:47 pm »

Hi Mike and sorry for the delay in answering i have been busy with work,

I had the speed controller set to automatic and it seemed to be detecting the power difference in any voltage drop at all as the cut off point so i reckon you were right with that line of thinking. It has now been set to 5S permanently and that seems to have done the trick ( im guessing the automatic bit must have been engineered by microsoft lol )

Currently running it on 5S 5000m/a 18.5 volt Lipo's and seems to be running like a dream ( well for about 4 minutes ) Will keep you posted about any upgrades i can find for that extra kick and seek advice before moving forward.

Once again many Thanx.

Andy

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 09:24:00 am »

the auto detect is an ok way of setting the voltage but its better to actually select the voltage manually. If you set it to 5s permanently remember to only use that on 5s lipos, still change the esc to 4s if your using 4s lipos. Of course  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 23 queries.