Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Titanic II  (Read 7418 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Titanic II
« on: October 04, 2012, 04:30:37 pm »

Titanic II, the multi-million pound replica of Southampton's ill-fated liner, will set sail from the city on her maiden voyage in 2016.

The date was announced by the Australian billionaire, Clive Palmer, who is funding the construction of the ship, when he revealed that detailed plans and designs for the vessel will be made public in New York in a few weeks time.

Mining magnate, Palmer, said: “The first voyage remains set for 2016, with the ship due to sail from China, where she will be built, to Southampton ahead of her maiden passenger crossing to New York.''

The businessman intends to hold a gala dinner on the retired aircraft carrier USS Intrepid in New York harbour on Tuesday, December 4, where guests will be treated to a dinner from the same menu as Titanic passengers on the day she sank in April, 1912.

At the event further features of the new ship will be disclosed although it is already known the vessel will mirror her predecessor's dimensions, measuring 885 feet long, and more than 173 feet high, and weighing 40,000 tonnes.

Titanic II will have 840 cabins and nine decks and retain the first, second and third-class divisions of the original White Star liner, which sank, 100 years ago, with the loss of 1,500 lives after striking an iceberg on her maiden voyage.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9966395.Titanic_II_to_set_sail_from_Southampton_in_2016/
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: TITANIC II MAIDEN VOYAGE
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 04:36:20 pm »

Where is the iceberg being fabricated?
Is the band being auditioned on the X factor?

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 04:41:02 pm »

I can't decide if this could be branded as dis-tasteful or not.

Wait and see what happens I guess.

Dan

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 04:55:44 pm »

What a fantastic idea, I cannot wait to see this sailing down the Solent...hang on, whats wrong with this bloke, tasteless or what...but I want to see it...aaaaargh!!! %%
My head has just exploded..........
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 05:47:58 pm »

will be intresting to see his plans as SOLARS regs have changed a hell of a lot since the first ship was built ,Life boats and were they are placed will not be the same. Once the novitaly has worn off it will be intresting to see how this ship will perform on a financial bases

john

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 05:49:19 pm »

Well here is hoping for a few things.  1 - she is luckier than the first one.  2.  Her skipper takes heeds of warnings of icebergs.  3. She is better designed so that she can withstand more than four compartments flooding.  

Putting aside all the nostalgia and mystique about her, the simple basic fact seems to be lost over the years that from start to finish she was an utter disaster of design and build and when sailed.  
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 06:00:49 pm »

Whilst reading the news report and thinking this is wrong for so many reasons, an image of that infamous and cultured Australian, Sir Les Patterson popped into my head, and then it all made sense...

How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 06:28:07 pm »

perhaps they should build it as a submersible, then they could recreate the iceberg incident on each crossing?
Grendel

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 10:04:58 pm »

And yet...and yet....
There have been so many (countless) moans and groans about the physical horridness and cloning of modern cruise ships and liners that I thought you may all have cheered the appearance of an old fashioned liner that is built to modern standards.
You can't have it both ways!
Just thinkk. Open Promenade decks. Room to move around without being in a shopping mall. Sounds good to me.
Personally I'd prefer to see one of the classical P&O or Orient liners being re-created. But whatever, think before you carp and I for one wish for its success. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 10:58:46 pm »

Call me cynical, but given Clive Palmer's record I will believe it when I see it. He's obviously a very smart man, and has made piles of money, but he is given to making rash and controversial statements, so I will wait and see.

Peter.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 11:17:26 pm »

If it is eventually built it won't be a real replica due to current safety standards and the level of comfort that modern passengers require. I believe the real Titanic had shared bathrooms for even some first class passengers. Essentially it would just be a pastiche.

The old 'classic' P&O and Orient liners looked nice on the outside but a lot of their internal accommodation fell far short of standards expected today. What gave them their elegance was their beautiful sheerlines and that meant that every cabin had to be individually constructed to fit the curvature of the hull, just not possible these days when cabins are prefabricated and just dropped into place. Having travelled on Queen Mary 2, I still have reservations about her external appearance and proportions but once aboard she is a fabulous vessel in every respect and the Britannia restaurant must be just about the most impressive room you will see at sea these days.

Colin

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 05:08:56 pm »

Wasn't this announced months ago??
Mark.

Tonka Toys - Big boys toys :)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 10:37:50 pm »

Yes, earlier this year.

Peter.

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 11:05:37 am »

sounds like a load of hot air to me,,, let me know when keel laying ceremony starts  {:-{

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 01:18:08 pm »

He has a reputation here in Queensland for not following through. O0 O0
His previous announcement was to run for Parliament, didn't happen. :-)) :-))
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 10:43:53 pm »

let me know when keel laying ceremony starts

I wouldn't hold your breath.

Peter.

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 09:50:39 pm »

Like April .....1st?  :D
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: MORE NEWS ON TITANIC II MAIDEN VOYAGE
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 06:18:38 am »

Australian billionaire to reveal Titanic II blueprint in Southampton

5:10pm Wednesday 24th October 2012 in News

Titanic II plans to be unveiled in Southampton by billionaire

BILLIONAIRE, Clive Palmer, the Australian industrial magnate building a replica of Southampton’s ill-fated liner, Titanic, is to visit the city next month.

While in Southampton he will unveil blueprints for this project and also reveal further details about the vessel, due to arrive in Southampton for her maiden voyage in 2016.

“My time in the city will be very important to me as I am only too aware of the highly significant place Titanic holds in the history of the local community,’’ said Mr Palmer.

At a reception at the city’s Grand Cafe, which is part of the former South Western Hotel where many of Titanic’s passenger stayed before embarking, further features of the new ship will be disclosed.

It is already known the vessel will mirror her predecessor’s dimensions, measuring 885 feet long and more than 173 feet high, although she will be slightly wider to improve stability.

The businessman’s visit is part of a global tour to publicise his scheme to construct the 40,000 ton copy of the White Star ship which sank, with the loss of 1,500 lives, on her first trans- Atlantic crossing from Southampton to New York after striking an iceberg a century ago.

According to Mr Palmer, who has formed the Blue Star Line to build Titanic II, the ship will be constructed in conjunction with Finnish design company, Deltamarin, and Chinese shipbuilders, CSC Jinling Shipyard.

“Titanic II will have 840 cabins and nine decks and retain the first, second and third-class divisions of the original White Star liner,’’ said Mr Palmer, who hopes to visit the berth in Southampton’s Eastern Docks, from where the original ship departed in 1912.

“The first voyage remains set for 2016, with the ship due to sail from China to Southampton ahead of her maiden passenger crossing to New York. She will be every bit as luxurious as the original, but will have state-of the- art technology together with the latest navigation and safety systems.’’

Titanic II, which will be powered by diesel engines, have a larger rudder and be equipped with a series of bow thrusters, cannot be an exact replica of the original vessel as she will have to meet stringent, 21st century, maritime rules and regulations.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10004867.Titanic_II_plans_to_be_unveiled_in_Southampton_by_billionaire/
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 06:30:43 am »

Richard.....& all other Mayhem members.....the Australian identity Mr Clive Palmer is well known in OZ for reportedly making grandiose plans & then changing his mind at the last moment when a newer vision  %) appeals  O0

If the Titanic II eventuates and is a faithful reproduction of her internal design......in this day & age who would want shared bathroom & toilet facilities with hundreds of others? >>:-(

I will be surprised if she is ever built...........but will eat my words if it happens. :embarrassed:......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 08:00:49 am »

I am a true septic.sceptic and a cynic.............but I would like to believe that this project would reach fruition

neil

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 11:09:09 am »

Derek,

you are aware that Clive is one of Queensland's favoured sons who can do no wrong %) %) %)

%% %% %% %%

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 11:13:50 am »

.the Australian identity Mr Clive Palmer is well known in OZ for reportedly making grandiose plans & then changing his mind at the last moment when a newer vision  %) appeals  O0

He suffers from Shiny ball syndrome then
http://www.therisetothetop.com/davids-blog/do-you-have-shiny-red-ball-syndrome-turn-it-from-red-to-green/
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 12:14:45 pm »

Goodness  {-) ...I might get moderated here

raaartygunner......it was only a few weeks ago he threw a few $M into the pot & wanted to knock Julia off  <*<..............sorry.............I mean to enter politics & get the top job as PM of OZ

essex2visuvesi ....I really have no interest in the shiny colour of this...... or any other mans balls......  :}  {-)

Derek  :-))
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 09:43:46 pm »

I wonder if he would have a slight change of mind and actually build it in Southampton. There are some metal bashers there with a big shed looking for work, and I'm sure they'd be happy to build something else beginning with a T.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.