Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Car insurance is a JOKE!!!!!!!  (Read 4356 times)

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
Car insurance is a JOKE!!!!!!!
« on: October 05, 2012, 12:56:16 am »

I was talking to my mate on the phone last night where he said he's just been let down again by someone buying his car, it's been for sale since April, and 'sold' about 4 times but let down each time. The price has gone down each time, and he ended up saying if I take it off his hands, I can have it for £300! I couldn't buy it but mentioned it to my dad, thinking maybe he could lend me the money, but to my surprise, he said he'll get it for me for birthday and christmas presents, so I don't have to ride through the winter (1st time ever, but last winter, -15 was pure hell).

Anyway, I set about getting insurance quotes... So car details: 2000 reg, Rover 25, 1.8 GTi VVC, valued around £600...  I'm 23, and had my license for 4 years

1st stupid thing, fully comp is actually consistently £80 or more CHEAPER than TPF&T,

My cheapest quote for just me on the car, £2450 fully comp, car valued at £600, but the excesses totalled £750?!

Put my GF on there aswell and the price comes down to £800 fully comp, car valued at £600, and excess still totalling £750, and not even any legal cover

But Admiral multicar (to their credit) will insure both of us on the rover for £603, with an excess of £500, still high but at least I'd get something, and will insure us both on my GF's car (1L corsa) for £400....

Hmmm I wonder which quote I'll be going with.... And now I'll be able to take myself to the lake, even if the car is a little bit, errrr, chavvy...

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Car insurance is a JOKE!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 01:13:13 am »

Insurance would of course be so much cheaper if all of us were not subjected to at least two 'foreign accent' phone calls a day trying to encourage us to defraud insurance companies with fraudulant whiplash claims.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 07:54:26 am »

Compare the market gave me (20, no ncd, just no convictions etc and saying I've only just passed my test) a quote on a 1 litre 3 door W reg Corsa for £1895 through Flux Direct.

Flux Direct gave me a quote for £645.

I find it hard to believe the meerkat toy in worth £1250 %)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 07:58:37 am »

It's interesting how some things go full circle. When I first strated driving I insured through a broker, that was the only way to get insurance. Then banks started offering insurance direct, and for a long time they were very competitive. Then came the internet, and latterly these compare sites. Now I'm back to using a broker again to get the best deals.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 09:00:36 am »

I got business insurance for my car because it
was £120 CHEAPER yes Cheaper than going fully Comp %% %%

the whole system is a rip off and I wonder what findings the commission was set up recently will find
my money would be....
the car insurance organisations are running at a loss and we need to increase the premiums.........

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 09:10:43 am »

ok i had a w reg 2.2dt renault espace !for 2 years it cost me £400-£500 then the third year after no claims i had 8yrs no claims  no extra point already had 3 it jumped too £900 and that was the cheapest some wanted 2k+ needless to say i got rid and kept my vw t4 £400 a year no problems !
BMPRS  Health and Safety Co-Ordinator

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 09:12:46 am »

A few years back, when I had my street rod, I paid something like £150 ish fully comprehensive. (3.1 litre supercharged/nitreous injected V6)

A few less years back, I was paying just under £200 for my Scorpio. (3.0 litre fuel injected V6)

My last premium was £265....for my Citroen Saxo. (1.1 litre 4cyl)
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 09:13:51 am »

its madness, insurance is obviously some kind of wierd science some of us lesser mortals cant understand.....

my father in law  is at the age where he can use the  firm like SAGA for his insurance...... he  has a mercedes van for his business and his car is his beloved jaguar, both insured via SAGA - the jag was up for renewal recently - its a big V8 beast and it cost him a fair bit of cash....its his pride and joy...

several years ago he put me as a named driver on his Jaguar  policy as i needed to drive it to and from the airport for him- he didnt want to leave it  for weeks in a car park.....,  - each year he renewed his policy and kept me as a named driver....

this year his renewal came in and he decided as ' times are getting harder' and  as i have not ever had to drive his jag for over two years he would take me off his policy as a named driver......he thought he would save a few quid........

his premium went up when he took me off his policy- its  actually £18 cheaper to have me on his policy- how mad is that !!!!- needless to say i can still drive his jag if i have to.....

all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 09:38:34 am »

They charge whatever they can get away with. But also, don't believe that all policies give the same cover. One sneaky trick is that your cover reverts from comprehensive to third party, fire and theft if you take the car abroad. And of course a protected no claims bonus is a nonsense now because they just up the underlying premium because you are a bigger risk if you've had an accident - even if it wasn't your fault.

Colin

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 10:00:08 am »

this year adrian flux tried to put my van insurance up 70quid i rand round for quotes got it to what i thought was ok rang flux back and they beat it ! i asked why i wasnt quoted that in the first place the reply " we try and get you the best policy " ok but the policy is the same ! u just knocked 80quid off it, " our company need to make money to cover over heads !" just goes to show how much they try and make !
BMPRS  Health and Safety Co-Ordinator

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 10:20:11 am »

You should try car insurance here, there's only about 3 or 4 companies that do car insurance and they are heavily regulated so the prices are all pretty much equal.

Big difference here tho is the car is insured not the person therefore once the car is insured any person with a license can drive it.

this does mean x car costs y euros to insure... no matter how old you are.  The cost of the insurance for the car depends on cost of repair, number of claims for that model over previous years etc.  This means that those cars that are popular among the "backwards baseball cap" brigade are loaded higher than more sensible cars.
this means BMW 3 and 5 series are expensive to insure here (popular with the youngsters), yet my V8 supercharged Jag and Range Rover are quite reasonable
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 10:32:14 am »

Hi all, if you look at the compare sites for insurance notice how many want to offer you a replacement car if yours is off the road.  This is a cosy set up with the car hire companies.  Most of us have access to a second car or don't want it.
The Hire companies want you to have the hire car for as long as possible.
I was surprised last year that TPF & T was dearer than full Comp, Crazy!
It all adds up!
My insurance is due next month and I shall have an afternoon on the Internet, will post what happens.
regards Roy

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 10:41:08 am »

And don't discount your local insurance broker

My dad uses a local insurance broker and they have so far beaten every internet quote he has showed them.  Giving an equal if not better policy for the same on less money.
Also watch the smallprint... a lot now do not cover the use of a trailer or driving other vehicles
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 12:53:45 pm »

A few years ago, Daughter had a three door "Taken". When recovered, three of the four locks had been wrecked, drivers door, boot and ignition. Radio had also been taken (well, it was a few years ago.)

Insurance Co. refused to replace fourth lock and also radio. When queried, they said the fourth lock wasn't damaged (so one lock had to be removed from a replacement lock set package and dumped) and "If you inspect the small print, we don't replace radios cos some try to charge for high end ICE systems." - We were trying to get the OEM basic radio supplied by Vauxhall.

Whereas ALL the younger members of this forum exemplary drivers and never speed or commit road traffic offences, the many suffer from the actions of the few (Quite a few) in the case of those not holding insurance. Forget the "But insurance cost so much your honour" brigade, as many have no intention of buying it whatever the cost and also the "Kiddy crime" of TWOC  O0. No, it's THEFT and while there is no retribution on the little tinkers who carry it out, those that pay their way are always going to suffer.   >>:-(

Regards  Ian.

You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 03:23:57 pm »

Same with me,

Ive always had high powered cars and always been with admiral, i find them the cheapest for what i want...

However each year when the renewal comes, it seems to go up a few hundred quid. Each year i make a new quote online and surprise surprise it comes out cheaper by around £400. They seem to be trying their luck and Ive noticed over the last two years, the amount its gone up each year is ridiculous. I'm 27, paying over £1000 on a group 16 car, been driving since march 2003, have 3 points and am no claims protected and have about 6 years ncb.

My opinion is that its an industry wide conspiracy, where each company can get away with jacking up their prices as they know others will follow and use the same excuse.

What doesn't help I will admit is the criminal side of these fake claims which are made, however you have to look at the bigger picture - if the government wasn't making everyone's lives a misery with silly prices for fuel, VAT and whatever else, because they are too busy wasting it on things which don't matter and giving money away to other countries when we ourselves are on the bones of our backsides, then people may feel they don't need to get money any way they can, thus pushing premiums up.

Im glad theres been an inquiry launched into insurance prices, however i feel it will come back in a few years time and say that there's no issues with it - after the huge cost that will be dealt to the tax payer to actually pay for the inquiry.

I don't honestly know how the youth of recent years manage with insurance/fuel prices.

sailorboy61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 03:33:05 pm »

It's not just the insurance companies, its all that American sue everyone for anything bullsh*t. The insurers have to cover their costs.

Yes I agree prices and particularly renewals are numbers pulled out of a hat. I was with Admiral last year for both my cars, this year it went up £200, because it was renewal time. On the phone they managed to drop £100 or so, but still nowhere near my now new insurers. It pays to move, everyone wants your custom so first year the premium is generally acceptable. They count on the majority who don't look and change each year to make a killing, in my case they would have had a 30% increase for nothing!

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 03:39:42 pm »

I've just renewed mine with LV, I've been with thm for years, I usually challenge them most years on any increase, but didn't bother this year my fully comp premium with 78% ncd was £229, protected ncd and CSMA discount I have a few enhancement such as extra cover for death, my father died in a road accident so I know it can happen, so I could make it cheaper if I wanted to. It pays to haggle even with your existing company - they still want your business!

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 03:59:23 pm »

It always scares me about these companies you find on compare the market etc etc where they are hundreds cheaper than your quote and are in another world so to speak..

I just feel with daft names for these companies and their low low prices, that the policy isnt a proper one, and should anything happen, your not going to be fully covered.

My brother has just done the same thing, saved loads and went with a small company.

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 03:59:51 pm »

i never just renew with my current insurer- i always  use a price comparison site or put a call into our local insurance broker....

but as has been stated ensure cover is comparible beofre looking at the differing prices,

some of them with ' odd/ silly names' are worth a look, - eg elephant insurance.... its part of admiral......

i need business cover, i also tow from time to time- did you know having a tow bar fitted makes your car mdified ? this puts premiums up - so make sure they know all the details  as if they can wriggle out of settling a claim they will !!!

luckily being over 40 , having 20 yrs NCB  and a plain simple  VW diesel estate my premium is very low, -

i dont know how the youth  manage to insure their 'boy racer'  corsa's and saxo's at thousands of pounds a year - i guess that why some dont -and we pick up the bill in increased premiums !
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 04:33:02 pm »

Please take two steps back :o and consider who actually pays..... >:-o

Your motor vehicle insurance costs will increase next year....as will all of your insurances

The costs of the Costa Cordia debacle is insured......and so we as consumers pay in increased premiums..... <*<.

Look at it...the CEO's of insurance companies on their multi $M annual salary's are not complaining.......

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 05:44:44 pm »

The last couple of years I have got an online quote from my current insurer which was around £150 less than they were trying to charge me. I 'saved' the quote and noted the reference number then rang them up to ask why their website was offering me a lower quote for exactly the same cover. They had to match it!

I know some people go for the lowest possible price but buried in all the malpractice is a element of 'you get what you pay for'. I do want to be assured that if I do have a claim that it will be dealt with properly and expeditiously and on balance you may need to pay a bit more for that to avoid unnecessary hassle. When getting online quotes, also Google review of performance. Auto Express did a reacent insurance satisfaction survey:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/59817/best-insurance-companies

When I had my 1:1 scale boat I had the same issues. It was best to go for a well known name based in the UK as if you have an accident with your boat, getting quick assistance can be critical. One company in the market was offering very low prices but buried away in the small print was a clause saying that you had to present yourself in person at their office in Holland to make a claim...

Colin

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 06:05:36 pm »

It is also not a coincidence that when having used some of the comparison sites for insurance quotes, it isn't too long before you get what are apparently cold calls, from agents wishing to assist you with a compensation claim that 'according to their records' you had in the last few years.

Despite ticking (or unticking) the appropriate privacy boxes, I don't trust online systems and always enter an number from a live but old, unused mobile phone. Miraculously, it has suddenly come to life with an abundance of 0161 numbers which investigation of the 'Who Calls Me' websites leads me to believe is linked (in this instance) to my details being provided via Confused.com   >:-o
How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

nipper2803

• Shipmate
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 06:38:14 pm »

My car insurance is with the co-op. A lot of the compare sites say they are cheap. i was quoted £700 by co-op though compare the market. when i rang co-op they said its better to go direct. i saved myself £200. Its still expensive even though i have 9 years ncd.

If it wasn't for the idiots who stage accidents just to get some money, car insurance would have been reasonable
I know nothing about nothing.

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 09:25:10 pm »

It is also not a coincidence that when having used some of the comparison sites for insurance quotes, it isn't too long before you get what are apparently cold calls, from agents wishing to assist you with a compensation claim that 'according to their records' you had in the last few years.

Despite ticking (or unticking) the appropriate privacy boxes, I don't trust online systems and always enter an number from a live but old, unused mobile phone. Miraculously, it has suddenly come to life with an abundance of 0161 numbers which investigation of the 'Who Calls Me' websites leads me to believe is linked (in this instance) to my details being provided via Confused.com   >:-o

When using comparison sites I always put my old mobile number down, they can ring it as much as they want, I lost the phone 3 years ago! Doesn't matter about them having the wrong number as i just use the comparison sites to get an idea, then go direct to the cheapest 5 companies from the comparison site and save more.

Got my bike insurance last month cheapest quote from comparison site was £370 with hastings, went direct to the hastings website, and got a quote of £200...

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

• Full Mayhemer
    • StarLoc FiveStar quality adhesives and glues at FMK
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 10:27:36 pm »

2 years ago my insurance was £700 insured in Runcorn , now insured in Liverpool last year was £3800 , for third party......fully comp would have been £27000

Last year i got a refusal to insure due to re-classification of area and had to change companies as my area was too high risk they would no longer insure me, i live in a black listed postcode the prices are higher again because of the high level of insurance fraud , mainly pet insurance claims ( according to the guy from one company on the phone ) , 99% of companies refuse to quote at all for any car at my post code, even AdrianFlux refused to quote

Ive just insured an identical ( apart from colour ) UK car in Bulgaria for about £90 , cost me about 300 euros to change it over to Bulgarian plates and mot etc i could have left it UK and insured over there but not strictly legal so i changed it to Bulgarian plates

I have no points on licence, no crashes, 10 years no claims bonus, full licence since 1994

The cars a modified N reg Calibra Turbo 4x4 , but its not the car giving the quote i could save about £100 by going to an unmodified 1.8L Vectra or similar

All my cars are turning Bulgarian in the near future!
Formulators and manufacturers of quality adhesives and surface coatings for industrial , DIY & modelling sectors since 1988
See us online   www.shop-4-glue.com
on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/gianthairyhedgehog/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.