Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: CAD are you interested....  (Read 43080 times)

Kim

• Full Mayhemer
CAD are you interested....
« on: October 05, 2012, 01:30:34 am »

Hi All,

I have started this thread as recently there has been a bit of interest in CAD (Computer Aided Design.
Me personally I have an interest commercially in both CAD & CAM (Computer Aided Manufacturing)
But as a modeller I have an interest in building & helping others.

Perhaps a new section on this forum could help us all get a better understanding of what can be done in each discipline without getting any ‘backs up’

Have a look at Ian's X bow & tutorial on Delftship as an excellent example of how we could help each other ..

If your viewing this then you have a computer and maybe soon the chance to get on the 'wave'

Perhaps if enough interest then Martin a new title could be created for us?

I will leave it at that for just now..

Regards,
Kim

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: CAD are you interested....
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 06:37:34 am »

With the print quality and price of Home 3d printers improving all the time this is certainly a good time to start lookiing into CAD.

Im using Google sketchup at the moment for drawing up some prototype parts for printing on our 3d Printer, but will be moving on to something a bit more powerful at some point.
I am also dabbling in Home 3d scanning which again is something thats coming to the fore

Would you consider that these are other suitable subjects that could be bundled under a new CAD/CAM section?
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 07:42:39 am »

What are the potential benefits for us boat modellers for 3d scanning?

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 08:05:08 am »

3d laser scanning means you can scan a 3d object (For example a full size boat part) rescale it down to you chosen scale using a cad package and then either have it 3d printed or cut on a CNC

Im currently tinkering with the free laser scanning software and a laser... results have been promising so far
With a webcam and a line laser as the only real hardware required its quite cheap to get a taster for it
http://www.david-laserscanner.com/

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 08:15:43 am »

3D scanning has some application for very complex shapes that woud be extremely difficult to model e.g. a human head, perhaps your own (god complex, anyone?)

I'd say for 99% of what you're likely to want to print for a model boat, 3d modellling is swifter and simpler.

What will really make things interesting for the modeller is if modellers start to pool their resources and talent. Create a library of 3d models that modellers can either print themselves or have sent to a bureau.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 09:09:08 am »

Hmm, this is all very interesting, and I like the idea of a pool of scans, files etc.

What I think would be really useful is a beginners guide to what types of files needed, and software to use in preparation for laser/water cutting and 3d printing.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 09:35:15 am »

Im working on notes for my father in law to get google sketchup files into the makerbot so I will post me results here if anyone is interested

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 09:38:59 am »

A section on CAD would be good in my opinion, I was a drawing office manager and have extensive knowledge (including a lot of setting up and configuring) of both AutoCAD and Microstation, and am always willing to lend a hand or give advice on CAD.
reviews on different CAD packages would also be useful, I also have inkscape on my machine.
As I have mentioned I am using CAD to draw up a set of plans of a Friends boat so that a model can be made of it,
Grendel

Fifie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 09:57:48 am »

Hi All
I read this subject with great interest.
I am a retired Design Engineer with experience (40+ yrs) and have prepared files for all of all the modern manufacturing processes
I can assist this subject by running the database of files etc.
I can also assist members with their drawing problems and conversion to the various file types.
I can model using 3D solid & surfacing techniques.
I have considerable experience in problem solving in the design and drafting area
I can turn your sketches into 3D models and the relevant files for manufacture ( no matter which method you choose )
My current software library includes
Autocad R14
Pro Engineer Wildfire 2
Catia V5  R15
Scan2cad ver 8.3
Rhino Rel 3
Delftship
Is this of any interest to the membership
Rgds
Fifie

sailorboy61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 10:18:15 am »

Sounds interesting to me, have several drawings that I would eventually like to turn into something solid!

Lash151

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 10:22:52 am »

Yes... i am very interested in CAD. Because I'm a graphic designer, I use Illustrator and Indesign, so I think I would pick it up quickly. I just cant afford a copy of the program.
Lee

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 10:32:50 am »

I just cant afford a copy of the program.
Lee

Google sketchup is free as are several other CAD programs

Google sketchup
http://sketchup.google.com/

progeCAD Smart!
http://www.progesoft.us/index.pl?id=3985

A good way to dip your toe in the water as it were

Lash151

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 10:36:50 am »

Google sketchup is free as are several other CAD programs

Google sketchup
http://sketchup.google.com/

progeCAD Smart!
http://www.progesoft.us/index.pl?id=3985

A good way to dip your toe in the water as it were

Thanks for that, I use an Apple Mac but I think those programs are available in Mac format. I will check it out.

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 11:18:00 am »

could be interesting too - i used auto cad lite and rhino and various plugs ins on rhino....

we also use 3 d modelling packes that are  unique to  our craft.....

i have to get help from  colleagues overseas on some of the tasks because theyre beyond my skills !

funnily enough in the new year we will be building another huge ship, the hull will be designed and modelled in rhino first then imported into our unique software... but i know the results will be good... my colleagues did this  different vessel the same way..

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/715/picture1tw.jpg/

one year to build,  - 376 kg,   5.46 m in length, 210 working lights, and  about 131,000 bits to make it
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 11:20:40 am »

to get the free educational version of autocad you need to go here - http://students.autodesk.com/?nd=home
the  requirements you need to qualify to get a copy are -
Eligibility Requirements

To participate in the Autodesk Education Community, you must agree to and comply with the applicable Terms of Use and also satisfy the following eligibility requirements. You must be one of the following: (a) a faculty member; or (b) a student; or (c) an Autodesk Assistance Program participant.

A faculty member is an employee at a primary or secondary educational institution or any degree-granting or certificate-granting educational institution or any learning, teaching or training facilities and who upon request by Autodesk is able to provide proof of such status.

A student is an individual enrolled at a recognized degree-granting or certificate-granting educational institution for three (3) or more credit hours in a degree-granting or certificate granting education program or in a nine (9) month or longer certificate program, and upon request by Autodesk is able to provide proof of such enrollment.

An Autodesk Assistance Program participant is either a veteran or unemployed individual who has (a) previously worked in the architecture, engineering, design or manufacturing industries, has completed the online registration for the Autodesk Assistance Program, and upon request by Autodesk is able to provide proof of eligibility for that program.
so if you havent got a university / educational email address you may still be able to get a copy under the autodesk assistance program (retired draughters take note as this may be the route you need to get a copy)
Grendel

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 11:28:07 am »

inkscape is quite a simple Cad style program from here http://inkscape.org/ open source so free.
bentley microstation has an educational (academic) version - http://www.bentley.com/en-US/Engineering+Architecture+Construction+Software+Resources/Academic+Educators+Students/PowerDraft+Download.htm I'm not too sure what you need to qualify, but it will work in trial mode even without a licence
(at one time I did find a university in australia that had their lisence file on an open webpage for their students - not that I am encouraging this of course)
Grendel

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 11:29:21 am »

Guy.  Please suggest to them that Black Park would be the ideal location for testing this super model  O0
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 11:39:53 am »

for those interested I run the following -
microstation v8 XM
microstation V8i
Microstation powerdraft v8i
autocad 2009
scan2cad v7
inkscape

plus I am a drawing office manager of 34 years experience, on both drawing board and CAD in the electrical industry (240v up to 32,000V).
Grendel

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 12:44:58 pm »

Sign me up for this one!

I'm trying to get into this CAD lark and have been trying to design a Yorkshire Coble as a 3D model and then onto the bits being water jetted and then assembled. I did try previously with a more complicated design, which got to the water jetting stage, however these frames are now in the heavens as I got sick and burnt the lot...

I then started a new design and seem to have it perfected. I then (probably the slow way) I created frames and imagined how they would lock together in my head. I then designed the 2D frames and then read up on how to simply assemble 3D parts in Turbocad. Below are a few screenshots of the assembled jig, proving that all my measurements worked:

This is something ive never been able to do and I have been trying for ages to do this and it finally worked!

The next stage is to attempt to 'wrap' the 2D planks I have round this frame. However I don't think turbocad can do this, not even autocad, and is more a rhino thing.

The programs I use are Freeship and Turbocad v18.1 platinum and have access to Sketchup Pro aswell.

I am a modeler who would rather draw something on CAD and have it CNC'd or 3D printed and then integrate that part into the model I am building.

I look forward to seeing where this thread goes.

Dan

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 01:06:28 pm »

AutoCad, Hmm, the Myford of drawing program(me)s. Not all that draws is (or even neccessary to be) AutoCad. There are many freebies out there for you not to have to think about lining the pockets of the industry "Standard" supplier of yesteryears.

I wonder how many reading this thread will think that using whatever 2, 3 or even 50D programme will make them into a "Designer".

Regards  Ian.

( Errr, retired Chief Drafty and Engineering manager)
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 01:25:33 pm »

Before jumping in at the deep end, what are the minimum requirements regarding equipment, namely the PC, processor, monitor, operating system et all.

In a nutshell can I do all this CAD, CAM, CNC (CNC not spelled out) on my home PC running XP. {:-{ {:-{

Will the tutorial be styled similar to 'CAD for Dummies' for instance.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 01:25:51 pm »

Im far from a designer, I probably create things in the most inefficient and long winded way possible, however i manage in the end.

We all have to start somewhere and would love eventually to be able to use autocad and inventor to the max and design allsorts of stuff.

I appreciate it takes years to get to that stage and probably 20 degrees or something, but most here will have played with some form of CAD and are interested to use it in the hobby.

Looking forward to seeing where this thread goes.

Dan

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 01:34:57 pm »

I can run CAD on my 3 year old laptop running XP, its slower. for work now I run cad via remote desktopping on a machine in the office, good enough for the few hours a week I work.
Its only now  I have the time that I am able to really explore 3D in CAD in my microstation package I can lay down planking one at a time with the twists, but have encountered the odd occasion where a plank will twist 180 degrees between frames, which sort of spoils the look.
Grendel

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 03:49:10 pm »

I've used FreeCAD to produce some designs. As the name implied the program is a free download from -

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/free-cad/index.php?title=Main_Page

Fifie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 04:09:11 pm »

F4TCT

It doesn't take a degree to use CAD.
Just a serious wish to learn
Fifie
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.