Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Silly Question Maybe  (Read 2275 times)

UkJonathan

• Shipmate
Silly Question Maybe
« on: October 05, 2012, 12:01:30 pm »

Hi all,
        I have started to build a hull I have had for a few years into a kind of tramp steamer with a large central hold. I am at the stage were I need to ballast the boat in order to get the waterline marked. Silly question here, should the waterline be straight from bow to stern? Also should the prop just be bellow the waterline? Last question should the boat run through the water level the keel that is?

Jonathan

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Silly Question Maybe
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 12:26:18 pm »

Love silly questions.

Yes water line is straight from bow to stern.

Couple of photos might help you.

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

UkJonathan

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 01:43:55 pm »

Hi thanks for answering my silly question and the pics of you stunning boat. It has a similar shape hull as yours too which helps. I just tried it in the bath and it will need some serious ballast. The front end especially is really high. Should it be more or less level as it goes through the water or can it be slightly high at the front?
Jonathan

sailorboy61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 02:22:47 pm »

Hi thanks for answering my silly question and the pics of you stunning boat. It has a similar shape hull as yours too which helps. I just tried it in the bath and it will need some serious ballast. The front end especially is really high. Should it be more or less level as it goes through the water or can it be slightly high at the front?
Jonathan

If the ship is in ballast, it could possibly be higher at the bow than the stern, even in real life ships. You could try shifting your batteries forward to even up the trim.

UkJonathan

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 04:19:55 pm »

The deed has been done I masked the hull , and put the red oxide on and so far so good no bleed through and it looks about right from the marks I put on. I will know better when it's the right way up. Fingers crossed
Jonathan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.