Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Southampton Tug - Drydocked!!  (Read 4482 times)

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: The other side of the world, near the Antipodes. Dunedin, New Zealand
Southampton Tug - Drydocked!!
« on: October 08, 2012, 10:18:00 pm »

I hope some one might be able to steer us in the right direction. Our Southampton tug is laid up in dry dock - and I think I caused the problem, just don't know how to fix it.

When we got the boat I changed the receiver to a Turnigy 9X8C-V2 with a Turnigy 9X transmitter. I also added another battery to the boat to allow a quick change of power if necessary - it also added to the weight.

The boat has been going well and was on it's third outing when things went wrong...   %) {:-{

First battery was dead so brought it in for a change. Unplugged old battery and plugged in new battery - without turning it off:((

Situation now is when when I turn the boat on motors goes flat out in reverse. A quick move of the throttle and motors stop. Have steering control but no motor control. Okay I'm new at this so forgive newbie mistake!!

Someone at the pond suggested that the ESC might have gone in to some 'failsafe' mode. That's good - how do I get it out??

I've found on the forums some instructions on how to reset the ESC (centre throttle, press switch, etc) but they haven't made any difference.

The receiver gets power from the ESC (via the channel connector not a separate battery connector) so not sure if that's an issue or not. Or even if there is now a problem with the receiver and not the ESC.

Any help would be welcomed.

Kind wish,

Bruce
"Water is best tasted chilled and flavoured with hops"
KiwiCachers

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Southampton Tug - Drydocked!!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 10:29:46 pm »

is it a 2.4ghz system ?
if it is have you tried rebinding the rx to the tx ?
some esc's only have a window for resetting for a few seconds and if button not pushed by then it starts normally , maybe your to late pressing button , anyway try the rebind 1st

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 10:40:20 pm »

Yes, it maybe a failsafe.
Try circling the sticks straight after turning on the Transmitter.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: The other side of the world, near the Antipodes. Dunedin, New Zealand
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 12:52:32 am »

is it a 2.4ghz system ?
if it is have you tried rebinding the rx to the tx ?
some esc's only have a window for resetting for a few seconds and if button not pushed by then it starts normally , maybe your to late pressing button , anyway try the rebind 1st

Yes it is a 2.4GHz
Not sure about how to do the binding. Yes I know that sounds a bit weird having got it going in the first place but the instruction on binding in the manual show using a seprate battery plugged into the binding connector and the binding loop in the battery connector. As I said earlier this receiver is getting its power from the channel connector from the ESC so not sure how to bind this again.

Cheers
Bruce
KiwiCachers

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 08:06:14 am »

as the tx is still functioning it shouldnt need rebinding ! , it may help us to know what make / model the esc is ? . what happens if you remove the esc from the rx but use a seperate rx battery , and plug a spare servo into the socket normally taken by the esc ? jon

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 11:50:10 pm »

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Just to keep everyone up to date. Have pretty much pulled everything apart and reconnected. Still no go. Have tried completely different receiver and still the same. Looked at settings on 9X transmitter but not much help. In answer to the questions on what brand of ESC it is unknown. There are no markings on it. It is the one that came with the boat. I have a feeling the deck may come off sooner than planned and the ESC replaced.
KiwiCachers

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 01:35:35 am »

seeing as you have a 9chanel tx if you need to replace the esc then do independant motor control with 2 esc's

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 08:06:16 am »

You can test if the radio is playing up by plugging a servo into each channel socket in turn and testing how it responds to the joystick and switches.   If the servo acts correctly in each socket then the radio is O.K. and you need to look at the ESC

If the servo is erratic, or not functioning on any of the channels,  then the transmitter is to blame.   The full reverse on start up suggests it is in Heli mode rather than aeroplane mode.

A pretty good manual is "Turnigy 9ch radio  Manual.pdf" which is available from the HobbyKing website -  http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8992  - click the "Files" tab and it is listed at the bottom.

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
Refit over - out of dry dock!!
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 05:14:35 am »

This morning I replaced the original controller wit two Mtronics Viper15s.

While the deck wwas off I also adjusted the rudder throw.

Took it to the pond this afternoon.  :-))

http://youtu.be/dBWOns0y5dk
KiwiCachers

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 12:13:12 pm »

nice 1 mate glad you got her back on the water , the 2 esc's really help  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.