Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Home Hub by Virgin Internet  (Read 12164 times)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Home Hub by Virgin Internet
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2012, 08:35:36 am »

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2232444577.png

Tested again today.
Not too bad for a bit of copper wire when I signed up for 8Mps

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2012, 08:54:53 am »

I have just checked using 3 diffenet checkers and get diff ranges of 29mb to 56, the first one I tried twice this came in at 29 and then 48 so Can these be trusted ?.
At the time that the individual snapshots were taken, yes.  Just using one checker will give varying results as the test has to use the same common bandwidth as everybody else, not just your line, and traffic will vary second by second..  Using a selection of checkers will do the same.  The highest figure tells what your line is capable of (with the network traffic at the time), the lowest figure is what you should be budgeting for in usage.  Whatever, the ISP should only be charging for what they supply, if they can't significantly beat their own lower priced, lower expectation rate, they should only be charging the lower rate.  If they were honest.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2012, 10:56:22 am »

Here's this mornings test run.

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2012, 12:18:51 pm »

Has anyone else noticed the clock on the SpeedTest Net thingy is an hour slow? I think it's also a little more generous than Broadband Speedchecker.
How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2012, 01:08:42 pm »

Has anyone else noticed the clock on the SpeedTest Net thingy is an hour slow? I think it's also a little more generous than Broadband Speedchecker.

160 !! who are you with ?

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2012, 01:13:28 pm »

lol the broadband speed checker gave me a speed of just 16Mb  >:-o
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2012, 01:18:38 pm »

My download speed's somewhere near where it should be (ha) but the upload is, and always has been, pathetic.

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2012, 01:20:16 pm »

160 !! who are you with ?

Photoshop!!!  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)
How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2012, 01:31:33 pm »

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2012, 01:34:44 pm »

I had a feeling it was
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

thegrimreaper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2012, 01:35:17 pm »

@ Tug Kenny dont forget to change the ssid code and password mate otherwise everyone in the street will try to piggy back of your wireless connection

Regards Mark.
Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

thegrimreaper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2012, 01:39:41 pm »

thegrimreaper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2012, 01:41:47 pm »

that didnt work the way I wanted it to

picture got cropped some how should read 62.something
Regards Mark.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2012, 01:51:17 pm »

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2012, 02:16:26 pm »

@ Tug Kenny dont forget to change the ssid code and password mate otherwise everyone in the street will try to piggy back of your wireless connection

Regards Mark.

Hi Mark.

Funny you should mention this.    :}

I cannot get get my laptop to connect on the airwaves. I've spent hours on the phone to the expert at Virgin and he advised pressing this and that. All the standard codes are changed and other magical things to improve signal, and it looks like a fault in the laptop. My poor 'top of the range' Sony Vio A3617M bought years ago at great expense now has a broken Disk unit as well as being sick in the wiFi section.    :((

The primary use for all this was to sit in the Tv room with the family and casually surf the web.   What's the I-Pad like please gentlemen.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2012, 02:37:01 pm »

ahem, have you turned the wireless on at the laptop end, usually a dedicated switch or one of the f buttons.
Grendel

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2012, 03:09:10 pm »

Hi Grendel,

Yes, there is a switch on the front.  The funny thing is,  when I search for the wi fi, it finds four within range.  One of these is unsecured and it starts connecting to it.  My anti virus checker then says I have an intrusion and do I want to allow it.  I didn't accept as I took this to mean I could have connected to a neighbours line but might have been observed by some activity ??

It's just that my site password won't work and be accepted. I'm presently looking to clear the laptop's memory of site's accumulated over the years.  As a last resort I might wipe the laptop completely clean and re-boot windows and all the aggro that involves.

OOh!  I do like a challenge,   not

ken

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2012, 04:53:11 pm »

I think generally this country is an embarrassment, especially when the likes of china has 1gb/s lines and has done for years.

There will come a point where the routers we all have are useless because of the speed. The usual LAN speed is 100mb/s and is enough for anyone to be honest, will soon be useless and again a complete refit of virgins infrastructure is needed with pure fiber lines going into homes, right to the pc/laptop. Ok this is a small change as all the green boxes we see at the ends of streets are linked to virgin exchanges by fibre etc etc...

Equally, the change in service speed over my adsl line (due to new modulation techniques), will reach a point where physically no more data can be crammed down that little piece of copper - which is always affected by amount of users.

Any download is restricted to the speed of the uploader, uploads speed are horrendous in this country.

Dan

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2012, 05:13:28 pm »

The best advice I can give to anyone who has made several calls and complaints to the call centres, is email the CEO of the company.

A couple of years ago we were with virgin using a BT phone line, and got about 7Mbps, we then moved to the outskirts of the city, and stayed with Virgin, but initially only got a speed of 1.25Mbps.
 This quickly dropped to an average of 0.18Mbps. I made several phone calls to the helpline, went through all their checks with them, and several times got to the stage where I needed to put the phone down try a few things and call back to let them know the results, but everytime I phoned back they insisted I went all through the process again and when it go to the put down the phone and try the test, they wouldn't take the results from the previous time, and refused to continue unless I did the test they said and phoned back. This ended with me having several arguments, talking to several 'supervisors',promises of notes being made on my account, promised call backs, engineers not turning up. It ended up with the internet completely dropping out for several hours, and then coming back for 30-40 mins, then down again.

I gave them fair chance, and finally decided enough was enough, I called the helpline again, gave them a final chance, took the name of the person I was talking to, and told them if they didn't stick to their promises this time, and didn't sort it or at least make some sort of noticeable improvement, I'd be contacting their CEO. This still didn't seem to bother them so I sent an email to the CEO as promised. Email sent to him at 8:30AM, containing account and contact details, by 8:45 I had an email from him, (actually him, not his staff) saying he was very sorry and his personal secretary would be in contact with me. By 9:15 I was talking to his secretary who put me through to a senior technician, I had a direct number to the CEO's office. Next day an engineer was out, replaced all the wiring and equipment in the flat, checked everything in the box outside, and the internet was ok for a few days. it deteriorated again. As they'd been out and couldn't find the problem, they said that I could cancel the contract and they'd waive the outstanding cost, AND refund all the bills back to the date they started. Never did find out what the problem was as we moved out not long after.

But the point being, if call centres are doing nothing, just go higher... I've got a list of CEO email addresses somewhere if anyones interested, includes car companies, supermarkets etc

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2012, 05:42:53 pm »

Ken,

Can your laptop 'see' your router - you imply that it can't. This suggests that the router is set to remain 'hidden' and the initial problem is there. Once your laptop can see the router then it needs the router password to make an initial connection. Sometimes the default wireless password for the router is printed on the bottom or back of the case. Then, the remaining issue is to ensure thet both are set to the appropriate level of encryption which will probably be WPA-PSK.

Once you have established the connection then you might want to consider setting up a home network so that you can access files on your PC from your laptop but that is a whole new ballgame!

I assume you have tried Googling the name of your router+ virgin. Frequently that can bring up all sorts of advice which can be more useful that the ISP provider - they're all virgins after all......

Colin

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2012, 07:47:43 pm »

Hi Colin,

Yes. it can see the new Wi Fi and tries to connect but fails.  I'm inclined to agree with you about the other codes so I shall go through the system and analyse it further. There is a mismatch somewhere as I used to connect when I had the earlier computer. I'm thinking it's set for that one. When I find it I'll let you know the answer.

ken

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2012, 08:48:22 pm »

Do you mean earlier computer or earlier router? If yu have a new router then it will certainly have a different code.

Colin

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2012, 09:09:12 pm »

At the risk of teaching egg sucking, are you trying to log in to the wireless connection using the same user/password as when you log in to the router itself (to set it up) via the wired connection? Cos that probably won't work.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2012, 03:00:03 pm »

Correct, that man.     :}

I've changed the password and now Have it working.  Can't tell you how pleased I am.  Mind you, I had to go on the web to access the Admin's rights and all that, but we got there in the end

It seems the fault was in recognising the Hub and proves it is quite difficult to break into another system.

One happy bunny.

ken

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2012, 05:08:53 pm »

That's good Ken, enjoy the armchair surfing....

Colin
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.