Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Britannia  (Read 7377 times)

ted

Britannia
« on: May 08, 2007, 05:33:54 pm »

Hi, I am very new to sail, but have taken on the scratch build of the Royal Yacht Britannia using the MMI plans MAR2530 by Sandy Cousin (jan 1997). I have a couple of Books, Scale Sailing Models by Phillip Williams and Racing Sailboats by Chris Jackson, both from Traplet. I decided that scale would be more interesting, but I am struggling with all the nautical terms. I have a hull now and am in the process of installing the RC electrics. Based on the instructions with the plans I have modified a Futaba 3003 servo to act as a sail winch, and my query concerns it's operation. It works in that I have a motor that moves in either direction depending on the transmitter control, but from the two books it appears usual to install limit switches and I don't think I can do this with my sail winch. I am naturally not using a centre tapped battery. Is it likely to cause a problem? Has anyone tried this approach. Certainly a 3003 at £5.75 is a lot cheaper than a Futaba S5801 sail winch at £105.00, but will it work?

The Britannia has some complex rigging which I am trying to get my head round. Is there anyone out there who has built a Britannia who might be prepared to answer some of my questions concerning rigging?

Eddie Price

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Britannia
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 05:44:13 pm »

Is it me ? The Royal Yacht Britannia that I know doesn't have any sails. Does it ?  ???

Doesn't she have Two geared steam turbines, developing a total of 12,000 shaft horse power. Two main boilers, and an auxiliary boiler for harbour requirements by Foster Wheeler.

Richard ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 05:54:02 pm »

:D
Hi Eddie

Are you planning to visit Harrogate this week end  we may  have a model of Britannia on show.

Stan  :D

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 06:15:10 pm »

Richard, I think they mean this one: http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/explore/object.cfm?ID=SLR0200
There were some proposals recently to salvage it but I don't think they came to anything.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 07:21:10 pm »

I do beg everyones pardon, but that is actually HMY Britannia owned by the Royal family.

Not completely wrong then Colin.

Richard ;)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 07:56:20 pm »

Not completely wrong then Colin.

No, but I expect King George V would have won more races with two geared turbines installed.  ;D

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 08:30:42 pm »

HI TED, DAD AND I BUILT BRITTANIA 15 YRS AGO ANDI STILL SAIL HER, IVE GOT ON BOARD PICS AND A PAPERBACK BOOK ON THE SHIP WITH MANY PICS IN IT,    YRS IF YOU WANT THEM, OR IF YR AT HARROGATE THEY WILL BE AT THE CLUB STAND FOR YOU, F.O.C    REGARDS BRIAN_C  ;)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 10:15:51 pm »

Not just me then Colin ;D

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 05:28:20 am »

The classic Royal racing yacht, built in 1893 and scrapped in 1937

Hi Ted
I would love to see a build log, or anything you are doing as I am thinking of this as project in the near future.
I already have the plans

good luck
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 05:35:50 am »

Does anybody have a copy of the magazine article on the build then can part with.  ???

I would love to see this, Ted might like it too.  :D

It is listed by Traplet plans as being Jan Feb 1997, I assume this is MM.

Anbybody help?
Please :)

ted

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 09:21:54 am »

Okay, the Britannia that I am building is the Royal Racing Yacht Britannia 1893 - 1937. The plans and article can be obtained from Marine Model International, plan No. MAR 2530 and article MM Jan/Feb 1997. I found the method suggested for building the hull - card and 0.4 mm ply quite tricky, but I got there in the end. I now have a hull. What nobody picked up on was the sail winch made from a modified servo. Has anyone tried this?

I have an image of the hull, but am having difficulty inserting it into this reply. How do you insert an image?

Ted

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 09:38:47 am »

Hi Ted

About the servo queery
Try posting on electics thread, you may get a better response.

To post pics
First you need to re-size it. to max 640 x 480.

When you writing the reply to the forum
In the Post Reply form
click on the 'Additional Options...'
This opens additional parts of the form and you can attach stuff.

Hope this helps.

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 09:48:54 am »

What nobody picked up on was the sail winch made from a modified servo. Has anyone tried this?

Ted

Yes - and it isn't very satisfactory. Why not use a Hitec HS785HB  drum winch - at  £21, or the more powerful HS805BB at £25 ( Howes Models), and you will have far less problems using something designed and built for the purpose.

Don B.

ted

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 03:01:53 pm »

Thanks Don. I think you are right. I had not seen the Hitec winch, just the Futaba at £105!!!!. Yes I think my mod is likely to stall.

Ted

ted

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 03:10:07 pm »

Hi Tiger, Sorry I forgot to add a pic. It appears in the attach so I hope it comes through. I have just installed Windows Vista, and all the files seem to be displayed differently, so I hope I have the right file.

There is a metre rule in the picture and the hull is just over a metre long. I do have smaller saws than the one appearing in the picture!

John C

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 05:50:23 pm »

Ted

Nice looking hull mate, look forward to seeing the finished article. Glad you managed to see through the attempted humour and carry on posting  ;D

Regards

John C

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 06:56:03 pm »

Hi, I agree a Hitec winch will do the job without problem.  Choose between an arm winch and rotary drum.  With the drum winch it is good if you have ATV adjustment on the transmitter for the winch channel so that you can decide how many turns the winch does from full in to out.  I think the Hitec unit does 5 1/2 turns altogether and the winch drum is 1 1/2 inches (3.7cm.) diameter.  This gives a total wind of 26 inches / 66 cms.

If you use an arm winch (Hitec) it does move very quickly, apart from moving the transmitter stick slowly, you can get a little unit from ACTion kits that will slow the arm winch or any other servo down to a more controlled speed.  I use this unit on one of my yachts and it works well.
The yacht looks good, best of luck,
Roy

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2007, 02:28:18 am »

Looking good.

I thought you said you had just started, you are over 1/3 built now.  :D

Do you have any pictures of the hull build?

ted

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2007, 09:47:06 am »

No, sorry I don't have any more pics, but will try to keep you posted of further developments.

Thanks all for your help regarding sail winches and on another thread, rigging. I hope I can now get on with the build.

Ted

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 06:35:35 am »

Hi Ted

2 questions about the hull construction.

How much 0.4mm ply did you need to buy?
How was it applied, as planks?

Hope you are not too busy building to reply.

Mark

ted

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 09:05:21 am »

Hi Mark, I ended up with two sheets - expensive at about £12 a sheet, 4ft x 1ft - but that was probably because I wasted some. It was applied as large pieces as per the article, but it was not easy and required a lot of cuts and subsequent use of fillers. I ended up with 5 pieces per side. I think planks may be better. After applying the card - I used evostick impact to apply it - you will probably need fillers to smooth out the hollows and cover the joints and cuts, but you do end up with a nice smooth hull. There is a slight problem with the card in that it delaminates. The exposed edge starts to separate were it is under tension because of the curvature of the hull, say at the stern where the hull is sharply curved. It is not a major problem, and I squeezed epoxy into the exposed edge. I used 1.4 mm mounting card for the frames (I couldn't find pasteboard as was suggested in the article). The mounting card seems okay and gives you a nice light structure, it is also very easy to cut with a scalpel.

I have ordered deck planking from Westbourne Models and am waiting for it to be delivered. I am not sure whether to apply them straight or taper and curve them at bow and stern. Straight is obviously easier but not true to prototype.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 09:17:06 am »

be careful if you decide to bend them.

I did some on a deck. I soaked, then bent and glued (whilst wet). When the planks dried they shrank and a as the width shrank the deck formed a concave bowing, the opposite of what I needed.
As straight was to scale and I was getting fed up I went straight.

Curving and Joggling sounds a bit demanding and I will need to practice a lot first on waste wood first.

I think if you put in the extra effort you will be really pleased that you did not compromise.

good luck and keep posting

pond boat

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 04:52:16 am »

love this boat, didn't want to purchase the planes though.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.