Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sheerline submarine seals  (Read 1346 times)

terry1956

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Sheerline submarine seals
« on: February 19, 2024, 04:04:14 pm »

Hi, can anyone please let me know we're I can get some sheerline submarine WTC seals from. Or if they know what material I can use to make some new ones. Thanks

philk

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sheerline submarine seals
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 10:23:17 pm »

Try becks model marine he's on face book he took over sheerline

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 01:03:57 pm »

You can try Matt, as mentioned by Phil, or perhaps Chris Cloke can give some pointers as to how he made them when he was running Sheerline.

I think they’re moulded from some form of RTV rubber, perhaps silicone or urethane rubber, most likely into machined plastic mould, or perhaps they moulded them in-situ on the endcap.

Another method would be to cut some out of stock rubber sheet, but that could be quite expensive, as most of the rubber will be cut away to form the ring.

I’m not sure if there was any advantage over using o-rings, perhaps they wanted a flat seal with plenty of compliance. The snag is that unlike an o-ring, they’re not a stock component.

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 02:42:27 pm »

You can try Matt, as mentioned by Phil, or perhaps Chris Cloke can give some pointers as to how he made them when he was running Sheerline.

I think they’re moulded from some form of RTV rubber, perhaps silicone or urethane rubber, most likely into machined plastic mould, or perhaps they moulded them in-situ on the endcap.

Another method would be to cut some out of stock rubber sheet, but that could be quite expensive, as most of the rubber will be cut away to form the ring.

I’m not sure if there was any advantage over using o-rings, perhaps they wanted a flat seal with plenty of compliance. The snag is that unlike an o-ring, they’re not a stock component.
Correct.
Denis's auto connection means grey rtv gasket was likely used.
If any chips in the tube are ground out then paint is resilient enough for a "one time" pressure seal.
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

terry1956

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 04:01:21 pm »

Thanks chaps. After looking at the price being asked, I made my own. All working fine now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 23 queries.