Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! - Identify model yacht  (Read 4332 times)

Gopher

• Full Mayhemer
Help! - Identify model yacht
« on: October 17, 2012, 04:15:54 pm »

Hello everyone, can anyone tell what make and model of yacht I have I inherited this boat along with a couple of tugs but know nothing about what make or even if it is complete so I am after any information I can get

ChiBoats

• Shipmate
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 04:48:03 pm »

IT is a:

A-R-S "Cup Yacht" 508 Sailboat, 20" long Cup Yacht is a model of a 12-meter class racing yacht. Like the Australia II, Cup Yacht has a hydrodynamic winged keel for stability and speed. Assembly is fast because all the parts are prebuilt; you just assemble the boat like a plastic car kit. You may want to display it in your living room. The rigging and deck hardware are beautiful. But, It's a fast sailer with both main and jib sail controls. The glossy hull and keel is one piece molded of strong ABS resin. The aluminum mast is strong, and is removable for transporting. Cup Yacht requires a 2 channel radio. Use a regular airplane servo for sail control of both sails. Scale: 1:38, Length: 20", Beam: 4.6", Height: 31.4", weight: 2lbs., Sail area: 163 square in.
 It is not now in production but was popular as a yacht that would fit in the back of the car and sailed very well for it's size but preferred light winds.

Happy sailing.

Gopher

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 07:11:56 pm »

Thanks, I took it to the local pond today and your last comment about light winds is verified, I found it hard to control as the wind was a bit on the strong side, if I put a close-up of the deck/mast area could you tell me if there is anything missing as there is a small hole through the boom about half way down and I haven't got a clue what it's for.

ChiBoats

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 08:00:18 pm »

Sorry, I cannot see the photo. The two photos on your first post do not show the point you are referring to. It looks as though there are some surface marks on the hull - try washing up liquid to remove them and then dry. Follow this with a polish using car wax. This will then help stop the usual pond crud sticking to the hull. It will also slip through the water better. They are nice yachts and as I said ideal for the car. A friend of mine use to keep his in his car when he travelled for his company, so that every time he saw a pond he would stop and spend half hour or so on the water !!

Gopher

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 08:31:36 pm »

Does your friend still have the rigging plans for it?  As I am not convinced that it is rigged correct, put another photo on to show hole

ChiBoats

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 09:24:08 pm »

Sorry, he bought his second hand but i can tell you that the brown coloured cord that is looped around the mast should have gone through the hole in the boom. However the current arrangement will give you a greater adjustment for the travel of the main sail boom so leave it as it is. This boom should be fully in when the servo is at the end of the travel and fully out when the servo is totally in the opposite direction. In practice the main sail boom will probably be stopped going fully out when it hits the rigging holding the mast in position.

When the main sail boom is fully in slacken off the jib so that is is slightly out, say 10-15 degrees. This should improve the sailing characteristics of your yacht.

Happy sailing

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Help! - Identify model yacht
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 10:46:02 pm »

***topic name modified***
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

ChiBoats

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 07:43:38 pm »

Hi Again, This photo will show you how it should look.

Cheers

Gopher

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 08:51:55 pm »

Thanks for the picture, I have modified the main sail, any chance of a photo of the jib setup, the reason being there is a black something on the photo which is missing from mine and it looks like some string from the jib goes around the mast which again on mine it doesn't, so I have a feeling that it's not rigged properly

ChiBoats

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 09:02:32 pm »

I only took 2 photos here is the other. I hope it helps as it would be a 30 mile round trip to go back for more.

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 09:13:55 pm »

very nice sailing model , we have the larger 40 " version from mrp ( thunder tiger )  which is a joy to operate even in some fairly strong winds ! ours is using a mast / sail which is slightly larger than original from a kyosho seawind .

Gopher

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 09:41:09 pm »

Thank you Chiboats, your help is very much appreciated, I think the bow rigging is wrong, I have also noticed that the tensioners on your photos have 3 holes mine only have 2, not a problem though, the jib boom isn't fastened to the jib sail at the bow I don't think it looks right, need a bit more research I think
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.