Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginners basics  (Read 2512 times)

AdmiralB

• Shipmate
Beginners basics
« on: October 18, 2012, 09:24:13 am »

Hi, I am new on here and also new to model boats. I have been an aero modeller for some time now and have a very friendly boat club near to where I live so I thought I would have a go as well.
What I was wondering, is there any guides on the forum or any general guidelines when setting a boat up as I know it definitely needs to float but is there any tips and hints you can give me please, or is it a case of if it works well just sail it. I am starting with an electric powered launch at the mo so sails and righing will come a little later, but was wondering about balancing, angles of attack, etc. Also with regards to the electrics, we do have to be careful with battery discharge on the aeroplane set ups when using lipo brushless set ups on high current drain installs, is it better to keep it brushed and more simple as I am not looking for a racing boat.
Any help will be gratefully received as I like to know that I have things set up right.

Many thanks, Gary.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Beginners basics
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 10:38:18 pm »

Welcome to the forum, Gary.

In my opinion, the simplest way to balance a boat is to ensure that it sits in the water down to its waterline. This can be achieved by adding ballast, if necessary, as well as moving such things as the battery, if possible, to get the boat sitting "right". Usually a little bow high attitude is OK, but not too much. Boats are nowhere near as critical to set up as an aircraft, and can be very forgiving of incorrect set up. A boat that is too bow or stern high, or leans to one side, will still sail OK, but does not look right, as opposed to an incorrectly balanced aircraft, which can be very difficult to fly (as I'm sure you will know).

I have no experience of LiPo batteries, as I exclusively use sealed lead acid (SLA) batteries in all my boats, and brushed motors. A range of sizes and capacities is available, depending on the space in the boat, and they have the added benefit of acting as ballast. Rather than adding lead as ballast, I usually add another battery where practicable, or use a bigger battery, which also extends the running time of the model.

Peter.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 10:52:20 pm »

I agree with all Peter F. said.  And do a float test in the bath tub as soon as possible after the hull is waterproof.  Set your battery and other potential ballast in until the hull is near the waterline (a bit high to allow for the top works to be added).  That will let you make the gross adjustments early on.

Have fun down here in the always wet, slower moving side of R/C.   :-)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 08:23:41 pm »

Hey Gary,
Welcome aboard. Just to add a little bit of advice - keep your ballast as low as possible - a battery placed too high in the hull is likely to turn her over, especially if it also happens to be a windy day. - I speak from experience, there's very little fun in having to wade into cold water to try and retrieve a sunken model <:(

Have fun  :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 08:40:31 pm »

welcome aboard  , agree keep ballast as low as possible in the hull  :-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 10:16:30 pm »

keep your ballast as low as possible
Absolutely - I should have mentioned that in my post :embarrassed:

Peter.

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 07:22:31 am »

Gary, if you're working to a particular kit or plan it may well be that someone on here has already been down the same route so let us know what you're building as it may be easier to tailor the advice. Even if you're scratch-building something new, there's enough knowledge on this forum for you to receive any advice you need as you go along, so pop some photos on so we can see how you're going....  :-)

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

AdmiralB

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 12:39:12 am »

Hi all,

Thank you very much for all your input. Yes, I will do a test in the bath when the wife goes out.  {-) Will get some pics up soon.

Cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.