Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Robbe Antje II - the Spook way  (Read 26448 times)

Spook

• Full Mayhemer
Robbe Antje II - the Spook way
« on: October 19, 2012, 02:35:06 pm »

OK, so I did it. I managed to persuade the love of my life to allow me to purchase another boat kit - though goodness knows where it's going to go when it's finished (although I have spotted some space on the bathroom window sill.) She's a wonderful woman, my Mrs.  O0

This is going to be a very different build for me, as the hull is ABS, not GRP and there are quite a few wooden parts, so it should prove interesting.

This is what she's supposed to look like, but we'll see what develops as we progress shall we?  %)

Spook

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Robbe Antje II - the Spook way
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 02:49:09 pm »

The story so far...

My first impression was 'there's not much in the box', which is probably correct, since I've been building kits with hundrerds of parts and this has far fewer parts. That said, there are plenty of small bits and bobs to keep me busy and it's of a scale where even Captain Clumsy should be able to fabricate some nice deck clutter from scrap.

Although the plastic die-cut sheets are rather uneven I should be able to straighten them out with a bit of gentle heat and patient coaxing. (Where's that iron?) Everything else looks hunky-dory though.

So far I have trimmed the excess from the hull and drilled the holes for the rudder and prop shaft. The instructions say to drill a 6mm hole for the prop shaft but the shaft that came with my kit is 6.5mm, so a bigger hole was needed. I've built and fitted the keel heel and started to cut the rudder support to size. All the 2mm holes have been drilled in the plastic sheet parts (and there are quite a few holes). I've just finished staining some (well, most) of the wooden parts a medium oak colour and am now feeling a bit light-headed - WHEEEEEEE!  :o ;D {-)

Spook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 02:08:10 pm »

A little progress. The rudder support beam and rudder shaft are in place. I have aligned the rudder (and cut it to size) but have removed it ready for the drive gear to be fitted. Also the deck supports and rubbing strakes have been fitted, but the rubbing strakes will need a little tidying-up to make them look nice.

Spook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 04:47:55 pm »

Steering and drive gear installed and some of the r/c gear fitted. I still need to solder the wires to the motor and sort out the battery connectors. I'll do that when the battery retainers are in place (next job). The receiver will fit on the underside of the deck with velcro when the deck is in place. I'm not using the recommended motor, so I had to make my own motor mount and am using No More Nails to hold it in place, as it works so well on my Assurance tug.

Notice the ruddy great hole in the r/c mounting plate. This has been designed so that the ESC (of a different design to the Viper I am using) can fit snugly in place. The problem is that it still has to be cut out, as the 'scrap' portion contains two parts needed later in the build. I suppose I could have used a scrap piece to make them but I have man-flu and wasn't concentrating when I cut it out.

I just noticed I need to tidy up the bottom of that rudder as well.

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 04:52:23 pm »

nice tidy installation...
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 07:52:52 pm »

Are you going to fit the two capacitors to the motor case from each power lead connector ?  I believe it will help keep interference down.   ;)

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Spook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 11:30:47 pm »

Are you going to fit the two capacitors to the motor case from each power lead connector ?  I believe it will help keep interference down.   ;)

Ken

No Ken. It has a capacitor installed across the motor contacts already. As far as I'm aware that is sufficient.

Spook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 11:20:10 am »

Latest update...

Deck is in place and filled, mast supports, bulwark supports, bollards and handrails also done. Scuppers have been cut out (aft ones slightly high but, so what?)

The instructions said to paint the inside of the hull above deck once the deck is fitted and before doing all the other bits but I decided to paint at the stage I have now reached. I won't paint the visible surfaces of the handrails until I have completed painting the hull.

I was hoping to finish the bulwark supports and bollards as stained varnished wood, however nasty superglue seeped into the wood and coloured it in places, so all between the deck and handrails will be painted satin white. The string and rubber bands visible in the last few pics will be used to hold the aft companionway in place.

Spook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 02:38:46 am »

Judging by the lack of response either everybody has died or nobody is remotely interested in this thread, so I won't bother posting any more on this subject. :((

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 03:01:42 am »

Hi Spook

Just because there have been no replies to your post, this does not mean that there has been no interest.
You have had over 250 views of this thread at the time of me writing.

You can see the number of views next to your thread title on the working vessels board.

TT
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 04:37:39 am »

263 views is hardly a lack of interest.

Great job and nice workmanship by the way. 
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 12:31:28 pm »

It's a build log, a record of what you did, so people will generally read it like a book rather than an interactive thread.

So the lack of comments suggests you are doing OK - your pictures are all pretty self-explanatory.

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 12:35:47 pm »

Looks like a very manouverable boat going on the size of the rudder, build pics look good keep them coming.

Don't be disshearted by the lack of replies keep the pictures coming and the comments will flow.

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 12:37:39 pm »

Great build Spook - following every posting - please keep it going!   Regards, Tony. :-))

Spook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 04:25:34 pm »

Thank you. Sorry about the gripe, I was feeling a bit lonely here in this thread all on my own (well, almost) - and, as you can see by the time of my post, I was probably not in my clearest state of mind.  :embarrassed:

I have done a little more work but want to paint the hull and deck before I go any further and weather is stopping play. I might start work on some of the smaller bits.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 05:15:30 pm »

I have a real interest in your build Spook, it's a kit I've often been drawn to having not yet done a fishing boat. Many of us may not comment but lurk in the background and admire from afar, please keep posting plenty of details and as many pics as you can! I may want to build this boat one day  O0 {-)  it's a nice build to follow is this, Cheers, me.

UkJonathan

• Shipmate
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 06:05:29 pm »

Hi
      it's a nice build so far and really neat workmanship, enjoying seeing the build come to life.
Regards jonathan

Stavros

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 06:23:39 pm »

Spook hardly NO ONE posts on th weHappy Hunter Build but the views say it all just post along and dont think no one is watching you,I for one have been watching but not commenting.

BUT

I will comment and offer a piece of advise GET RID of those silly Tamyia connectors and do yourself a favour and buy either the Yellow connectors or the red connectors off component shop,reason I say this is simple I have had far to many of those Tamyhia connectors burn out over the years so have changed over to hte ones mentioned,Even my stick packs have been changed

Keep up the good work

Dave

Spook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 01:12:46 am »

Stavros, I don't like Tamiya connectors either. I have other boats where the Tamiya connectors have worked themselves loose and realigning them to connect them is a nightmare. I may extend the battery wires and fit spade connectors, as that's what's on the battery anyway. :-))

Spook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 12:01:58 pm »

AAAAAARGH! (again) Once again Captain Clumsy has exercised his super powers.

I have primed, sprayed and varnished the hull and removed the masking. I was just about to start painting the deck and rails when I thought I'd check that the rudder movement was OK after spraying. It was, for about 5 seconds, then the tiller arm snapped. I wasn't using much force to test it, so I'm not sure if it was me or a fault in the plastic moulding. Anyway, I've ordered another one - but fitting it is going to be interesting, as there ain't much room to work under that aft hatch. stand by for further breakages.

But here's a pic as she looks now.

Spook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 11:13:11 pm »

WOW! I am so impressed!

As you may remember from my earlier ramblings, yesterday morning Captain Clumsy snapped Antje's tiller arm. So Captain Sensible (who also lives in my head - sometimes) ordered a new one from Cornwall Model Boats yesterday. It arrived on my dorrmat at 11:30 this morning and was fitted and tested by 12:30, allowing me to crack on with today's building.

That's a great service and that's why I recommend them. Thank you CMB.  :-)) :-)) :-))

Spook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 01:47:27 pm »

The story so far...

Wheelhouse, companionways, homemade net, bits and bobs.

Wheelhouse top rail and the start of homemade deck clutter.

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, 07:16:04 pm »

Well done, they look good  :-))  How did you paint the hull?

you put me to shame with all your swift progress  :embarrassed:

"Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws" - Douglas Adams

Spook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2012, 10:33:01 pm »

Thanks  :-)  but I have plenty of time on my hands - I work odd shifts and spend a lot of time on my own.

I masked the handrail and added newspaper to mask the deck etc.
Put the model upside down and sprayed the whole hull with two coats of Halford's White primer.

Then I added masking from the waterline down and added newspaper to mask the stand and lower hull. Turned the model the right way up.
Sprayed with three coats of Halford's  Rover Pageant Mid Blue paint.

Unmasked the lower hull (leaving the upper masking in place) and turned the model upside down again. Added the red boot topping to cover the join - this is, I'm ashamed to say, PVC tape, from Barry's Model Lettering - there is no way that Captain Clumsy  could have painted that neatly. But I have used this tape in various colours on my other kits and it is the business!

Sprayed with three coats of Humbrol Enamel Satin Varnish. (The Halfords paints are acrylic but you can spray enamel over acrylic - I learned my lesson a couple of models ago  ok2 )

Ensure that each coat is dry before applying the next one.

The deck is simply two coats of Humbrol Matt Light Brown and I shall be finishing off the top rail in Revell Satin Black.

Hope this helps
Spook

Spook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2012, 04:05:03 pm »

I've just about completed the wheelhouse and have started fixing the sub-assemblies to the deck.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.