Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: ARK / Hooben 1/32 Perkasa  (Read 20295 times)

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
Re: ARK / Hooben 1/32 Perkasa
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2012, 10:23:51 pm »

Thanks Ken, I will have to look for new control horns as they need teh space they have at present, will get a pic up tomorrow

Cheers

wayne

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2012, 10:34:56 pm »

Wayne,
Bad news I am afraid, it looks like the shafts and rudders will have to be removed and re-aligned.
Then faster motors fitted.
With those props you will need about 9000 rpm to get her going as your model is quite heavy.
The good part is 2 x 550 motors should only cost about £7-99 each and everything else is free apart from glue and paint.
If you want to take her further lighter batteries eg MiNims would help but one step at a time.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2012, 10:36:17 am »

Thanks Shipmate60

So here is a pic of my rudder set up, you can see whay I moved the rudders forward. So does anyone know where I can get rudder control arms with the arms at 90 degrees to each other? They would need to be able to fit the 6mm brass rudder post.

Thanks, Wayne

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2012, 10:49:08 am »

Ah !!  I can see now.

What you need is 2 single arm levers on the same shaft, at 90 degrees. It would mean you need  a longer protruding rudder shaft from the tube, but there's not much in it, if you sand the clamp sections thinner.     :-))    of course , you only need a single one on the other shaft

Cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2012, 10:52:49 am »

Right, I got it - off to the workshop

Wayne

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2012, 10:53:07 am »

Officially a GOG.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2012, 10:55:38 am »

Hey that's great Bob.  Didn't know they did those.      :-))

Ken

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2012, 11:02:17 am »

Great thanks Bob, for now I will try Ken's two single arms as I have enough bits here.

Wayne

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2012, 07:18:19 pm »

I'm not 100% certain, but I can check tomorrow when I get home, I think your a frames are on backwards, they should angle the other way, moving the props forwards. Also, what happened to the standard rudders that come with the hooben kit? From memory they are a lot smaller.

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2012, 07:28:38 pm »

Thanks bikerdude999, the boat came to me as is, I look forward to hearing if they are on backwards. The original rudders and shafts were knackered all glued up, so I  replaced them, they are a bit smaller I know but I thought the larger ones would help in turns.

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2012, 08:22:30 pm »

Had a look at the A frame (not that it has two legs) but it does not look reversible. I have cut the shafts down, will give the boat a try tomorrow

Wayne

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2012, 06:06:34 am »

If I'm not mistaken, that rudder setup works very well... but only at high speed. All sources seem to indicate that the rudders sit more or less astride the props on the Perkasa. According to the Tamiya kit, at least, the twin props are situated on either side of the center prop and slightly aft of it. The outer props flank the rudders.

I always thought one wanted the prop wash to act directly on the rudders for best performance...  %) {:-{
~Harq

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2012, 06:46:12 am »

Harquebus,

Interesting comments.
Yes as you say, had a look on the web and there is a build log see below with the rudders and props as you mention

http://www.vosper-perkasa.com/blog/build-log/vosper-perkasa-p150-132-scale-radio-control-rc-model-build-log-part-11/

Gunna build those other boats one day.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2012, 11:15:17 am »

This may be why Wayne's props were so long in the first place.

I shall be watching the water test with interest as mine has not yet been launched.

Ken

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2012, 11:45:43 am »

My props stuck out further because I change the coupling which is longer than the one used originally. I have now cut the shaft and the prop is now against the support. I hope to try it in the pond just now

Wayne

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2012, 07:50:11 am »

Having the props against the shaft struts (supports) should help some. It is amazing to me that the props and rudders are configured this way (props placed far aft and the rudders in between instead of directly aft of the props); I'm fairly certain the model RAAArtyGunner showed and the Tamiya kit are authentic to the original boat and are showing how they are configured in real life but it is strange.

I imagine low speed or dockside maneuvering is an absolute beastly chore... but one has to remember the original boat allows independent control of each engine/prop so that sort of negates what I just said. If you've not considered it already, why not go for a 4-channel setup and dual speed controls so you can control both motors?

~Harq

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2012, 08:32:26 am »

I suppose the limitations of the original design, to include space limitations in the hull resulting from the size and bulk of the gas turbines happened to force the placement of the props at the extreme end of the hull and left little room for the rudders.

Or, conversely, I am missing some information about the design being purpose-built for creating some kind of newfangled (at the time) hydrodynamic efficiency or just conducive to extreme high-speed operation. I suppose I could research that but I'm too lazy.  :-)

I've compared it to other fast attack craft and I don't see any hint of imitation or copy-catting the Vosper's prop/rudder setup. Just food for thought.

Also, goBulawayo, the green you chose for the deck color is spot-on in my estimation. The original green was too bright.  :-))
~Harq

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2012, 10:48:33 am »

Hi Harquebus

I wish I could afford a 4 channel radio but budget does not allow for one. I have moved the rudders back to where they should be and the boat now turns but not very sharply, it has a rather large turning circle - how to I make the servo rotate more? It only moves about 20 odd degrees. I suppose I could put a longer control arm onto it which would give more movement at the rudder end?

Wayne

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2012, 11:38:13 am »

ITs not so much a case of getting more 'turn' on the servo arm.  You may get more rudder throw by adjusting the control rod and this may be as much as up to 60 degrees although be careful as too much and it can go over on itself.  To get the maximum thro put the control rod on the outermost hole on the servo arm and the other end on the inner most hole of the tiller arm.  (its early in the morning after too many beers last night so apologies if I have that the wrong way round.)  Try that.
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2012, 12:23:21 pm »

Agreed. Do what mikearace said. You have to get maximum throw out of your servo/rudder linkage. Make sure they have the same throw in both directions.

I was wondering about the clearance you have for your rudders; they don't hit the prop struts do they? Doesn't appear to be much room there.

I know you may be thinking "spare no expense" in this Perkasa endeavor of yours (and spending money on quality items when the funds roll in) but as for me, I'm cheap. Going to buy one of these soon, perhaps two: HobbyKing 2.4 GHz Tx & Rx I've not done much shopping but if these are on the extreme inexpensive side of things (i.e., cheap and somewhat disposable), then there are other transmitters a little more upscale and so on, and so on. But I've heard good reviews of these radios. They're basic, no frills models but I don't need much in the way of frills meself....
~Harq

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2012, 12:40:07 pm »

I think he's correct ^^^

On the other hand, if you (for instance) are satisfied with the throw the servo gives you and you want it duplicated on the rudder end, you would want the rudder tiller arm of the same size and length as the arm on the servo and the linkage mounted on the same holes provided. In other words everything should match. If you want more throw from your servo, you start manipulating the lengths of the servo linkages and the mounting holes for the linkage.

I would disconnect the permanent linkage and play with the lengths with a piece of wire (maybe an unfolded paperclip) and see what it does for you. Also, make sure the rudder system moves freely without binding. It's possible that could be part of the problem.

It's late here, but alcohol is also involved... apologies for any ineptitude in the mother tongue...  %)
~Harq

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2013, 11:50:18 am »

Sorry for the slow reply, been busy over the last week.... Having had a quick look at my Hooben Perkasa, your props/rudders appear to be right, I couldn't get any photos as the boat is in the back of a very dark crowded cupboard lol

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2013, 07:33:12 pm »

So I finally got the Perkasa down to the lake today, and she was really sluggish - We swopped out the dry cell battery for an 11.1 lipo and same problem. It was whilst we were changing the mechanical speed controller for an ESC that one of the guys noticed my motors were wired up wrong (they were in series and not parallel) - Swapped the wires around a bit and hey presto she runs rather well. She appears to have an issue with the Tx or Rx from about 4 metres away, jerks along and then goes fine when close up - Tried the aerial out along the boat but same issue. I am waiting for the video to be uploaded so you can see the issue - She does not appear to have this problem with the mechanical speed controller - I am going to put this back in for testing next time - hopefully have a lipo by then

Wayne

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2013, 10:33:36 pm »

Ok so video is on Facebook, does nayone know how I download it from there to my PC please.

Link is http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4526776082434&set=o.130611523681979&type=3

Wayne
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.