Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vosper RTTL help needed  (Read 7692 times)

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
Vosper RTTL help needed
« on: October 21, 2012, 07:32:10 pm »

Hi All,
    I am just finishing my scratch built RTTL in tropical trim (with Oerlikon). I have a fairly good library of photos of RTTLs but have been unable to locate any pics of the interior of the top "cockpit". I know that some time ago Bluebird asked on here if anybody could help with this info, but I don't know if he received any replies. I would be most grateful if anybody has any shots of this area that they would share with me.
    I have attached some pics of the boat. Photos courtesy of Tony Holt (Droitwich Spa MBC).
Many thanks,
    Dave.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

howyson

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Vosper RTTL help needed
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 10:09:19 am »

Hi

Like yourself I am nearing completion of a scratch build RTTL. I have done many searches and have also built up a substantial library of photos but none of the top 'cockpit'. I would be very grateful to be included in any responses you get.

I am going to RAF Museum at Hendon in a couple of weeks time and hope to get some photos of the 2757, unfortunately they won't allow me on board and without a rather long pair of step ladders I won't be able to see into the cockpit! If anybody else wants any particular view of the 2757, I will be pleased to try and accomodate them.

Regards

Howard

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 02:06:16 pm »

This is the highest vantage I have, but it's hardly any help at all, but does enlarge a little.

I've added this picture just because it is unusual to see one out of the water

Dave

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 08:45:33 pm »

Howyson and Norseman, you are gentlemen - many thanks for your replies.

Homyson, I envy you, I have been trying to get to Hendon for several years but haven't been able to manage it so far. Maybe next year....

Norseman, I have already got these pics (thanks anyway) and quite a few others, but I suppose nobody thinks to photograph the inside of a boat when all the exciting bits are on the outside!

Ah well, I shall keep trying, but till then the cockpit area will have to remain "work in progress".

Thanks again,
           Dave.
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 09:00:35 pm »

Hi Dave,

I've moved your enquiry over to here as it may help your quest.     :-))

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 10:54:08 pm »

Thanks Ken.

Howyson, sorry for calling you Homyson in previous post- wayward digit syndrome!

Dave.

cdsc123

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 01:53:41 pm »

A really nice model, the only views I have are from Terry Holtham and are either a MKI or a MKIA, but I think they were all pretty similar;

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 07:26:18 pm »

Hi cdsc123,
    The clear plastic windshield would point to this being a picture of a "Hants and Dorset" , the British Powerboat high speed launch. These boats were very similar in appearance to the Vosper, but I am not sure whether the cockpit details were the same. The Hants and Dorsets were the boats used in the film "The Sea Shall Not Have Them", worth a look if you can catch it on Freeview.
     Many thanks for your help.
Dave

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 07:59:56 pm »

hi there Dave

cdsc123 or Christian :-) is a rather well respected authority on Coastal Forces Craft, especially 'Hants and Dorset' and the RTTL - do a websearch Coastal Forces, Christian's name is mentioned many a time.

When he refers to the mk 1, I believe this is in actual fact a 'Hants and Dorset' craft before she was converted into what we know as the 'RTTL' but we best check facts out - I will look for the websites and post them.

The cockpit info which are looking for - will be very much the same - as when I built mine, I used a lot of photographic evidence - some of the photographs which I received (courtesy of Christian) show evidence - through the wheelhouse - of open doors connecting the wheelhouse to the cockpit area.  

All the photographs on this link/topic and on my RTTL build (apart from your model pics) are courtesy of Christian.  :-))

http://www.asrmcs-club.com/boatswebsite/galleryrttl.html   :-))

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 10:47:38 pm »

Hi John,
   Many thanks for your reply. I followed your RTTL build with great interest and was much inspired by it. I saved all your pics into a folder and when I was in doubt about some detail or other on the plan I could usually sort it from your photos.
    I hope that cdsc123 ( can I call him Christian?) didn’t think that I was querying his knowledge, but I am a bit confused about the relationship between the H & D and Vosper RTTLs. I thought that they were completely different, although similar looking, boats. Did Vosper base their boats on the British powerboat design? If the upper cockpit layout on both boats was the same then can I go ahead and use the pics kindly supplied by cdsc123 to fill in the empty spot on my boat?  Now that I have the experts on the case perhaps all will become clear…..

Dave.

cdsc123

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 11:24:41 pm »

Oops sorry, my fault for not explaining properly, see the MKI here;
http://www.asrmcs-club.com/boatswebsite/rttl1.html
and the MKIA here;
http://www.asrmcs-club.com/boatswebsite/rttl1a.html
the MKI was the wartime BPB H&D HSL converted post-war for RTTL use, and the MKIA was the first version of the post war Vosper design.
The area shown in the pictures I posted earlier is indistinguishable between these two, hence my comment. The boat you have built is known as the MKIB;
 http://www.asrmcs-club.com/boatswebsite/rttl1b.html
I hope that is clear, congrats again on a fine build.

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 10:40:47 am »

Hi Christian,
    That's great, just the info I was looking for. I had studied the photos on the ASRMCS website many times but had always discounted the Mk1 and MK1A boats when looking for details, now I can finally finish my build. The cockpit photos you posted show the front wall (bulkhead?) but not the rear one. The pics of the wrecked MK1 seem to show that the back wall is pretty blank as far as fittings go, do you know if this is so? Sorry to be pedantic but I'd like to get it as close as possible. Thank you so much for all your help.
All the best,
    Dave.

PS to Bluebird - I have left the commercial brass rudders on my boat as they are to give maximum turning effort, which works well, but I see that you have made scale rudders. Do the scale ones give a sufficient turn as I would like cut mine down to more of a scale profile. I sail on a fairly confined lake so need "get 'er round" quite smartly.

Dave.

cdsc123

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 03:35:50 pm »

Hi Dave

Yes I think the aft panel of the cockpit is blank. There is a teak grating step at floor level if I remember rightly.

Regards,

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 06:46:38 pm »

Dave, hi ya there

On the model which I built, both props run in the same direction - same as the original boat.   I have a P94 speed controller from ACTion controlling the 2 motors which give me independent control of the motors and a mix of the rudders.  So, in theory, I can slow the inboard prop down and speed the outboard prop up - this aids the turning of the model on the lake.    Just like the real thing though, the model at full throttle tends to prop walk and if you try and turn it at full speed she dives off the plane - its a bit of a devil to handle but its just like the original - and that is what makes it more fun.

If you dont have independent control of the motors, I would stick to oversized rudders.

I believe there is a small hatch in the aft of the cockpit - connecting the radio room to the cockpit - just to pass messages through and small items - the gap would be more akin to a serving hatch in the galley - I think there is a small flag locker as well on the starboard side, near the floor.

aye
John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 09:18:57 pm »

Hiya Bluebird,
     Well, you learn summat new every day! I didn't know that the RTTLs had same direction props, my model has contra rotating ones and I have to say that with the oversize rudders is very stable on the water. I think that I can probably do without the excitement that you describe (all for a quiet life, me) so I will probably leave well enough alone. Thanks for the info about the hatch, something else to add, but nearly finished now.

Hiya Christian,
     I will probably copy floor grating from Vic's plan.

Once again much gratitude to all who answered my plea for help. Where would we be without Mayhem?

What to build next? I have some ideas that depend on whether I can build a working Schottel drive (I can't afford to buy one) so those winter evenings will simply fly by!

All the best,
    Dave

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 01:59:40 pm »

Hey Howyson,
      How about some pics of your RTTL build, I'm sure we'd all like to see them....
Dave.

howyson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 05:17:41 pm »

Hi Dave
Sorry for the late reply but have not been online for a couple of days. If you want to see my build go to the following post
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=18707.0
Like yourself I have contra rotating props with scale rudders so I will be interested to see how it performs, when I get to that stage!
Only just over a week until the trip to Hendon, I did visit many years ago when I went for a job interview,(not RAF or marine related), and did not know at the time of the 2757. It was a great surprise but frustrating as I did not have a camera with me nor the time to look around.
Howard

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 11:13:05 am »

Hi Howard,
    First of all my sincere apologies - of course I have seen your build on the forum, just didn't connect your name with that thread (senility creeps on). Yes, indeed a beautiful clean job that I look forward to seeing on the water. I shall be interested to hear how the scale rudders perform.
    I am running two belt driven 480 Ripmax motors geared about 3 to 1, which gives near to scale speed on full power and she goes around the lake like she is on rails with a nice tight turning circle.
    Have a great time at Hendon.
All the best,
    Dave.

olly4950

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 09:20:10 pm »

My decks are now finished on  my RTTL 2753,looking forward to putting the fittings on her.
Regards
olly4950

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 06:23:56 pm »

Hi Olly,
    Looking really good now, I am looking forward to seeing her progressing and lots of pics of maiden voyage.

I have just been fitting out the cockpit on mine using the pics kindly supplied by cdsc123, and then that's it finished.

All the best,
    Dave.

howyson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 05:15:41 pm »

Hi Dave

Have just returned from my visit to Hendon. Unfortunately the 2757 is undergoing some restoration and was partially covered by polythene. However I did get some photos and inside there was a very good model, it was in a glass case so the photos are not the best but to do show some detail, (send me a PM if you would like larger versions). There was also a further display case of a range of other models.

I was allowed into the reading room where I could look at the documents they have there. There was a picture of the conning bridge in one of the manuals and it was quite similar to the one Christian posted of the HSL.

I was also impressed with the collection of aircraft, (many more than I expected) and must have spent some 4 hours there in total. Good job we have digital cameras since I took 137 photos in total.

Regards

Howard

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 06:06:18 pm »

Hi Howard,
    I envy you your visit to Hendon, perhaps I shall make it one day. My eldest son works at RAF Cosford which is "just up the road" to where I live so I have been there a few times and can recommend a visit to the museum there.
    Shame that 2757 was partially covered but the good news is that she is being maintained. Thanks for the pics.
Dave.

howyson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 03:15:07 pm »

Hi Dave

If you do visit try and make it a Thursday. I understand that is the day the men who work on the refurbishment are there, and you might be able to pick up some more info from them.

I hopefully will get to RAF Cosford one day but have have no other reason to visit the area. We have friends who now live in Luton and we visited them for a long weekend so I made certain we had time to visit Hendon.

I have posted another view of the conning bridge.

Regards

Howard

Pondweed

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
The full film on youtube
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 12:34:38 pm »

Hi cdsc123,
    The clear plastic windshield would point to this being a picture of a "Hants and Dorset" , the British Powerboat high speed launch. These boats were very similar in appearance to the Vosper, but I am not sure whether the cockpit details were the same. The Hants and Dorsets were the boats used in the film "The Sea Shall Not Have Them", worth a look if you can catch it on Freeview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9RiyimT3mk

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2012, 11:00:47 am »

Thanks Pondweed,
   I have got the film on VHS but it will be useful to be able to view it on my laptop.
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.