Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unknown boat. Help please.  (Read 3855 times)

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
Unknown boat. Help please.
« on: October 23, 2012, 01:26:09 pm »

Enclosed is a photo taken back in 1946, this is of me in the middle, my elder brother on the boat and my father working aft. He bought the boat in '46 from Naval Surplus Sales, for about 10 pounds I believe!! It was without engine but had shaft and tube still in her. (He "found" a lorry engine that went in her instead) I just wondered what was she? There are Numbers on the bow, painted out, with a broom it would seem, they are difficult to read but seem to be L P ? 106 or 8. She was about 35 feet long and as you can see had a raked bow, for beaching. She only ran once as my father had no car so no petrol, he got a gallon from my uncle which gave us about 15 minutes trip, exciting! The cabin was constructed by him from timber gleaned from packing cases from machinery which was  delivered to the Company he worked for. Only way then as there was strict controls on all timber then. We moved the following year and she was sold, later fate unknown. The mooring was on the Thames, just below Richmond Bridge, great for fishing, but being tidal restricted boat movements.Anyone know what she was?

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Unknown boat. Help please.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 01:59:55 pm »

At a guess I'd say it could one of two craft either an LCP (L) Landing Craft, Personnel (L) or a LCS (S) (Mk1)  Landing Craft, Support (Small) (Mark One).

Check out these pages and see what you think;

http://www.6juin1944.com/assaut/amphib.php?id=6    Landing Craft, Support  (S) (Mk1)

http://www.6juin1944.com/assaut/amphib.php?id=12   Landing Craft, Personnel (L)
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 03:17:28 pm »

well here - http://www.navypedia.org/ships/uk/brit_aws_lcp.htm
LCP(L) 106 and 108 are listed as losses
maybe from the above listing (which has dimensions) you might narrow down the choice, of course the two boats above might have been recovered (which would explain the lack of engine)
Grendel

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 05:14:54 pm »

Thanks for the replies but she was neither of these, she had a pointed bow on the deck, also the bottom of the boat was more flat, and the transom was flat too.so I will keep on searching..

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 05:35:07 pm »

It's possible that your boat still came under one of these designations.  The number of these type that were produced mean there may have been a lot of undocumented variations.  The shape and the lettering as well as the ropes rigged down the side definately smack of a boat designed to be driven up a beach. 
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

gra2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 09:52:44 am »

Hi Nordsee

Warship  Perspectives Camouflage Volume Four : Royal Navy: Supplemental by Alan Raven shows a side view on page 34 titled LCS(M)2 which looks close to your photo.

Graham

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 07:12:36 pm »

Hi Nordsee. Sorry I cannot help with your identification, but just wanted to say that we were kindred spirits back then! My Dad was on the Patrol Service and around '46, along with 2 other crewmen he paid the astonishing sum of £15 for a fully working 45' MFV from Surplus Stores. Like you,my brother and I were allowed to 'crew' for Dad on several occasions and at one time spent an entire fortnight on the ship. My home was in Glasgow and she was based at Rosneath Naval Base on the Clyde so it was absolute heaven for an 8 yr old be able to nip down at weekends and mix with the old salts!  Happy days indeed. Thanks for the memory!

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 07:16:33 pm »

*Wish I had a photo! O0 

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 11:14:47 am »

There were lots of bargains about from disposal sales. Some years later, in the early 60s my Dad was building yet another boat, ( a 30 foot Cruiser, from scratch in his back garden) and when he needed an engine got one from an Admiralty sale, a Ford 3.5 litre V8, marine conversion, overhauled and with reduction gearbox, crated and delivered and all for 90 pounds! The crate was of pitch pine and the engine was bolted to 2 oak bearers, which were used again in the boat. Certainly some Bargains about then!     
Hi Nordsee. Sorry I cannot help with your identification, but just wanted to say that we were kindred spirits back then! My Dad was on the Patrol Service and around '46, along with 2 other crewmen he paid the astonishing sum of £15 for a fully working 45' MFV from Surplus Stores. Like you,my brother and I were allowed to 'crew' for Dad on several occasions and at one time spent an entire fortnight on the ship. My home was in Glasgow and she was based at Rosneath Naval Base on the Clyde so it was absolute heaven for an 8 yr old be able to nip down at weekends and mix with the old salts!  Happy days indeed. Thanks for the memory!

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 11:16:04 am »

Thanks, could you perhaps scan it and send it to me? Be most grateful if you could.
Hi Nordsee

Warship  Perspectives Camouflage Volume Four : Royal Navy: Supplemental by Alan Raven shows a side view on page 34 titled LCS(M)2 which looks close to your photo.

Graham

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 11:20:45 am »

Nordsee....your Dad got a bargin........ %)  ......Derek

:o  ."a Ford 3.5 litre V8, marine conversion, overhauled and with reduction gearbox, crated and delivered and all for 90 pounds! The crate was of pitch pine and the engine was bolted to 2 oak bearers, which were used again in the boat"
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 01:09:38 pm »

And you could buy a Mossie for the princley sum of £250 - - - - the scrap value of two Merlins, they threw in the airframe for free.

Regards  Ian.

Wots appened to the pound sign?????????
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

gra2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 05:56:32 am »

Hi Nordsee
I have not got a scanner but i will see what i can arrange.
Graham

Steve J

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 04:58:02 pm »

Anyone know what she was?

It could be a Landing Craft, Personnel (Small), 29'6", point at the front, single engine.

The details that I have of the LCS(M)2 show it as having a square front and being 41'2" long.

HTH

Steve

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 01:28:00 pm »

That sounds like it,the LCP small. now to find a photo of one! thanks so much
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 23 queries.