Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: old fishing boat  (Read 11289 times)

manxdave

old fishing boat
« on: May 09, 2007, 05:23:22 pm »

Hi everyone, I'm new to this sort of thing.   A nyway looks simple enough.My brother inlaw has given  me a partially completed model fishing boat. It is more than 30 years old,because it was in his house loft when he moved in 30 years ago It is a kit, there are numbers and letter printed on some of the parts. Unfortunately almost the parts to coplete are missing. It is 32 inches end to end,9 1/2 beam.I've been building boats since I retired 6 years ago when my wife bought me an artnesia model Hamburg fishing craft,Since then I've been building the model boats from the plans in the magazines.With great enjoyment. I've got a couple of pictures that I'm going to send with this posting. If any one could identify the boat I would be most gratefull, also the maker so I may get the missing items. In anticipation thanks Dave.[/img]

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: old fishing boat
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 11:34:02 am »

Photos.
Works for me Dave.
Richard ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 03:01:35 pm »

its a long shot,  but is the hull timber of GRP,

if its GRP it maybe the hull from ivor broughtons 'boats and models' semi kit of   i think it was called the north sea 38.......

i understand dave metcalf now has some of the plugs to produce these hulls......but i maybe wrong....like i said its a long shot !

all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 04:00:14 pm »

Isnt that the old Billings Norcap?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 07:04:13 pm »

Hi manxdave,

Coincidentally, I bought one of these finished, at Skipsea boat auction last night.
I can't tell you what it's called at the moment, but a friend who was there said he had a part built kit and he does know the name. I'll get in touch with him asap to see how far the kits has gone and what it's called.
I may even be able to trace round parts that are not yet assembled.

Bob

manxdave

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 11:15:16 pm »

its a long shot,  but is the hull timber of GRP,

if its GRP it maybe the hull from ivor broughtons 'boats and models' semi kit of   i think it was called the north sea 38.......

i understand dave metcalf now has some of the plugs to produce these hulls......but i maybe wrong....like i said its a long shot !

Hello there Guy,it's plank on frame,and very solid. Thanks for your interest. Regards Dave.

manxdave

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 11:23:16 pm »

Hi manxdave,

Coincidentally, I bought one of these finished, at Skipsea boat auction last night.
I can't tell you what it's called at the moment, but a friend who was there said he had a part built kit and he does know the name. I'll get in touch with him asap to see how far the kits has gone and what it's called.
I may even be able to trace round parts that are not yet assembled.

Bob
Hello Bob.Thats good news, and a real coincidence. If you find out the makers name that would be a great, even some plans, or where I might get hold of some. Any info realy. Many thanks for your efforts, regards Dave.

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 08:59:05 am »

If you have a look at the boats in the link below you might find one the same.
http://users.cybercity.dk/~ccc16084/scaleboat.htm

I found it by google search Billings Mercantic,the guy collects Billing Boats kits and he lists quite a few. the second one down looks the part. If it is this one then a e-mail to Billings or their importer Amerang should bring results. Last year off E-Bay I bought for my son a Zwarte Zee kit, (abs hull) but the chap lost the instructions. after ringing Amerange and e-mailing Billings a instruction book was sent free of charge.

Hope this helps
Daryl

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 10:48:51 am »

I think you will find the Billings Mercantic is a bit on the large size.

Richard ;)

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 11:11:42 am »

I believe it is a Billings Flevo, I have one in the workshop. The photo I have attached is from when I bought it with the original macgreor radio gear. I will take a better photo this afternoon
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 11:45:59 am »

Hi Richard,
I didn't mean it's the Mercantic as a friend of mine has got one, that was how I found the site.

It looks like one of Billings kits and as Riggers just posted a pic it looks like Flevo. Billings should be able to supply a copy of the palns/instructions. Amerang might struggle as I don't think its a current kit.

Daryl

kayem

• Full Mayhemer
  • .....excellent!
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 12:21:52 pm »

It looks like one of Billings kits and as Riggers just posted a pic it looks like Flevo. Billings should be able to supply a copy of the palns/instructions. Amerang might struggle as I don't think its a current kit.

Daryl

I think you'd be wasting your time contacting Billings. I've needed info on Billings products a couple of times over the years. The first time was on something still in production, and Amerang couldn't have been more helpful, they sent me copies of plans etc and refused any payment. The second time it was on a Billings design that had been out of production for some time, and this time I went straight to the manufacturer. They ignored my first request, but sent a two line response to the second, telling me that they never kept any plans or other documentation for items no longer made. I didn't believe them, but there clearly wasn't any point in pursuing it. So I put a free 'wanted' ad in Marine Modelling, and the response was amazing. One guy who lived about five miles from my home gave me a half-completed model, and another offered an untouched 20 year old kit for a very reasonable sum, I don't think the box had even been opened. An unstarted example of the very same kit, the paddle steamer Hjejlen, went on eBay earlier this year for about five times what I paid for mine.
"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book; inside of a dog, it's very dark" Groucho Marx

Daryl

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 12:39:23 pm »

How odd, when I e-mailed them at christmas they asked me for my address and sent the instructions in the post (Zwart Zee). It did take a couple of weeks, in that time I rang amerang and they also sent me the instruction in the post. I have asked and received help from Billings several times over the last few years and have allwaysfound them helpful. Amerang too has allways been happy to help when they can.

Daryl

kayem

• Full Mayhemer
  • .....excellent!
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 01:13:13 pm »

My experience of an unhelpful Billings was about five years ago, there have been a lot of changes at the Company since then and I think they are under new ownership, so maybe they are more PR aware today, but I have heard of several other people being treated in the same dismissive way in the past. Maybe I should have told them what to do with their Frikadella. Until relatively recently it was almost impossible to send them an e-mail through their website, and if you managed it, they usually ignored you. Being part Danish myself, I considered asking a couple of my cousins who only live about 30k down the road, to go round to sort them out, but in the interests of international harmony, decided not to bother in the end.
"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book; inside of a dog, it's very dark" Groucho Marx

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 01:25:43 pm »

Hi Richard,
I didn't mean it's the Mercantic as a friend of mine has got one, that was how I found the site.

Daryl

Sorry Daryl I misunderstood.

Richard ;)

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 01:48:52 pm »

Billings now is under the Robbe banner, I wonder what the future will bring? Some of their old kits were quite good. The link I supplied earlier is interesting in that the guy who runs the web page list their ealier kits.

Daryl

kayem

• Full Mayhemer
  • .....excellent!
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 02:05:43 pm »

Billings now is under the Robbe banner, I wonder what the future will bring? Some of their old kits were quite good. The link I supplied earlier is interesting in that the guy who runs the web page list their ealier kits.

Daryl

That link you provided earlier is really interesting. Despite the way they've treated my info requests, I've always liked Billings kits, though given the dreadful wood quality, proper scratch building would probably be easier in most cases. An item of trivia. If you follow the link, scroll down to the Hjejlen link and look at the pic of the full size paddler, the hill behind is Himmelbjerget, the highest point in the whole of Denmark at a breathtaking 147 metres. I've climbed it several times, and without oxygen too.

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 06:23:26 pm »

Hi manxdave,

I can confirm riggers 24 thoughts that it is a 'Progress 5 Flevo'
I have not contacted my friend yet, but I am looking at the Billings Boats No4 catalogue which lists it. They also did a plastic junior version of the same vessel

Bob

manxdave

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 07:36:59 pm »

Hello riggers 24, Manxdave here, looks like you found it. Much joyfullness. Many thanks for your help. I compared the photo and model and I'm pretty certain they're a match. Now all I need are a set plans or even a kit of parts. I'ts going to be a long job, there's a great deal ugly thick paint on the hull which is going to very difficult to deal with ( any tips on removing ancient paint). Once again thanks for the help.Regards Dave.

manxdave

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2007, 07:44:17 pm »

I found it by google search Billings Mercantic,the guy collects Billing Boats kits and he lists quite a few. the second one down looks the part. If it is this one then a e-mail to Billings or their importer Amerang should bring results. Last year off E-Bay I bought for my son a Zwarte Zee kit, (abs hull) but the chap lost the instructions. after ringing Amerange and e-mailing Billings a instruction book was sent free of charge.

Hope this helps
Hello Daryl, manxdave here, Many thanks for your help identifying my boat. I have'nt looked at the link yet, I shall also have look on ebay. I may strike it lucky like I have on this forum. I shall certanly be staying with it.Once again thank you. Regards Dave.

manxdave

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2007, 08:02:43 pm »

Hi manxdave,

I can confirm riggers 24 thoughts that it is a 'Progress 5 Flevo'
I have not contacted my friend yet, but I am looking at the Billings Boats No4 catalogue which lists it. They also did a plastic junior version of the same vessel

Bob
Hello Bob, many thanks for the info. Looks like I've got a fair bit of hunting around to find some plans or a kit of parts. The only real  part that I have is the winch. Which is painted a grotty green,the moving parts still move though.I looks as though there has been more than one pair of hands involved. Th hull is very well done, the cabin/wheelhouse build quality not so,also I think the painting of the hull was done by the same person.  The cabin/wheelhouse will need a rebuild. Once again many thanks,Regards Dave.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2007, 12:03:07 pm »

Hello riggers 24, Manxdave here, looks like you found it. Much joyfullness. Many thanks for your help. I compared the photo and model and I'm pretty certain they're a match. Now all I need are a set plans or even a kit of parts. I'ts going to be a long job, there's a great deal ugly thick paint on the hull which is going to very difficult to deal with ( any tips on removing ancient paint). Once again thanks for the help.Regards Dave.

Hi Dave if its timber try Nitromors paint stripper.

Richard ;)

manxdave

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2007, 12:16:51 pm »

Hi Dave if its timber try Nitromors paint stripper.

Richard ;)
 Hi Richard, I'll keep that in mind when I get to that point .Thanks

manxdave

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2007, 12:21:49 pm »

Hope this helps
Dary
Hi Daryl,Manxdave, could you post me email for Billings and phone no for Amerang? thanks, Dave

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2007, 01:48:46 pm »

Dave

Billings Denmark : tech@billingboats.dk

Amerang : enquiries@amerang-group.com

Billings are now part of Robbe who have to be contacted through their web site: http://at.robbe-online.net/rims_at.storefront/en

Try Billings Denmark first.

Richard ;)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.