Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: recommend a good paint brush  (Read 2666 times)

timg

• Full Mayhemer
Re: recommend a good paint brush
« on: October 24, 2012, 11:09:14 pm »

Hi All
Can anyone recommend a good make of paint brush please and if possible were to buy them online?
I could be painting any thing from a small hull to fine detail work using humbol enamel’s mainly
Thanks
Spud

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 05:19:46 am »

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

montessa315

• Full Mayhemer
  • I should do it which way?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 12:39:36 pm »

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 01:03:16 pm »

I can recommend this supplier, but you do need to know what you need as the descriptions are aimed at artists using oil or water colour, not enamels. I have some very small (3 down to 000) in sable, and will be ordering some larger ones for my next model.

http://www.rosemaryandco.com/

Barrie

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 11:02:03 pm »

Hello
Thanks for the reply’s ,
I have been to a few craft shop’s today and bought a range of different make’s of brushes to try out , the humbrol red brushes seem to be  popular with modellers  and I will try the tamiya ones to see if there as good as there masking tape .
Thanks again
spud

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 12:05:22 am »

The best brushes are sable and they are expensive, as suggested above. These you can find in art supply shops and online.
A general rule of thumb, the more expensive the brush, the better the quality.

A good brush is expensive, but if looked after will last and last, and improve with some use.
The cheaper brushes tend to be courser and the cheapest will lose hairs, which come out with use. These end up on your project.
If you are just starting out, it may not be worth the investment in sable, unless you are going to continue with a lot of work in the future. But buying cheap brushes is IMHO a false economy.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 07:19:08 am »

I agree totally with tigertiger, cheap brushes are a totally false economy as your work will suffer.  Sable brushes are amongst the best and will serve you well for many years but do tend to be at their best with thinner media like watercolour where they can hold a lot of paint. 

When you are looking at painting larger areas, needing the larger size brushes, I tend to use ProArte Prolene brushes which are just a little stiffer and work better with thicker media like Enamels, they are slightly cheaper too which helps but again will last years if looked after properly, which with any tool is really the most important thing.  Again I use either Sable or Prolene for fine detail too....

One of the best tips though is to get used to one make of brush and stick with it. Repeated practice will get you used to how they perform and you'll get better and more consistent results than chopping and changing your supplier. ..... :-)

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.