Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Building a static 1765 English Frigate  (Read 67065 times)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Building a static 1765 English Frigate
« Reply #275 on: April 08, 2014, 12:31:48 pm »

:-))  I live in awe at this quality, my little plastic fantastic is a cheat to say the least, sparse and with little 'added' detail, hats off to you young man.

Just as a matter of interest at 1:180 if I was to replace my masts with the same timber as yours, how strong would you expect it to be, the bottom of the main mast would be 7/32 (5.5mm) or there abouts, currently my masts are brass as I thought I might have issues with the strength, and 100mm long on the bottom section reducing as it rises, do you think they would stand up to scale winds? in the next vessel I want to lighten the above water load to add more detail.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #276 on: April 09, 2014, 05:16:48 pm »

Oh, everything gets lighter the higher you go... spars, rigging line, blocks, all of it.  For obvious reason.... mainly weight aloft.  Its very important to pay attention to line size as you go.  One gent mentioned spar strength.  All of my lower spars are "built up" in pieces, and banded for the most part... very strong methods.  The rest are solid wood and tapered.  One thing to remember on a static model as well, most of everything does not move..  I can move things to a degree, just to see how the dynamics work.. but for most of it.  Its stays in place.  A real advantage in the building process.

Soon will be coming pictures of the "Spanker" sail.  I am very pleased with how it turned out and rigged it "complete".  Really adds to the effect.  Ahhhh... the sun is out and my shop is calling me... so much to do

Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #277 on: April 09, 2014, 10:43:55 pm »

Mizzen (Spanker) is in and fully rigged with sail and appropriate flag.  Next will be to finish the yards then moving on to completing the ships boats of which I have some exciting ideas for display.  Getting close
Enjoy,
Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #278 on: April 09, 2014, 10:45:12 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #279 on: April 09, 2014, 10:45:49 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #280 on: April 09, 2014, 10:46:30 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #281 on: April 14, 2014, 02:21:04 am »

Mizzen course yard is in.  One more yard to go and then its on to the Long Boats
Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #282 on: April 14, 2014, 02:22:02 am »

More.

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #283 on: April 14, 2014, 09:24:53 am »

@dlancast:

Looking nice Dennis.

I seem to recall the mizzen mast sometimes does things differently...

Working on my VERY limited knowledge of this type of ship, I believe there was not normally a "course" sail on the mizzen; this was effectively replaced by the (fore & aft) spanker. I think the lowest cross member on the mizzen mast (the one you have just fitted) may actually be called the "crossjack" (sometimes abbreviated to "cro'jack") and its function is to control the lower edge of the mizzen topsail above it....

However I may well be mistaken......  :-))

Amateur at work...

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #284 on: April 14, 2014, 01:45:28 pm »

Lovely work Dennis.   :-)) :-))

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #285 on: April 14, 2014, 04:33:43 pm »

Yes, very true sir.  Around 1700, that aft Mizzen sail was generally a Lateen Sail, with the yard called a Crossjack.  However, in 1800 period the Mizzen or Spanker sail came into practice, with the yard being termed "the Course".  Many variations of course and more research needed on my part to bring in some more details.  Fortunantely, there is a ton of data and research out there.  Gotta love it.

Dennis
(ref. A Modeller's Guide to Rigging by A. Rchard Mansir;  The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War 1625-1860 by Lees.)

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #286 on: April 14, 2014, 11:20:58 pm »

Thanks Dennis,

I knew you would have the answer!!

It never ceases to amaze me how complex people have managed to make things around these old sailing ships, and just coming to terms with the fact that every piece of the ship seems to have a name or sometimes multiple names.

I suppose if you spent years at sea there would be long periods of staring up at all that "sticks and strings"  and saying to yourself, "hmmm... now what would be a good name for that...??"  {-)
Amateur at work...

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #287 on: April 14, 2014, 11:54:41 pm »

hahahah.... trust me when I say, I really don't think in the terms of terminology.  They are still just sticks and strings that perform a very complex dance and I think that is what holds my attention and captivates me.... I even tug at a line that is finally attached to a belaying pin on the pin rail and look aloft to see the tip of a yard move in a predicted direction... form and function.  I was watching a video of a square rigger sailing and all of the commands being given, just to move one sail... I wondered if they would ever finish the dialog before the wind died!  %%
Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #288 on: April 15, 2014, 09:53:05 pm »

All yards are now installed.  Ships boats remaining to complete the model.
Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #289 on: April 15, 2014, 09:53:34 pm »

more.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #290 on: April 16, 2014, 07:31:00 am »

Brilliant Dennis. When I got to this stage with my Victory, I simply ran out of steam and decided to leave the ships boats off the model! A decision I have not regretted. %%

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #291 on: April 16, 2014, 04:08:52 pm »

Tks Footski,  Yes... tempting to case her up and be done with it.  However, I have really wanted to show a ships boat being hoisted in the "launch " position, using the proper block and tackle and yard configuration.  I don't believe I have ever seen that modeled before, although, I am sure it has been done.  I  have seen a ships boat lowered  to the model base.. but that made no sense to me to do it that way.  So, now I'm starting to fit out the detail of a much smaller boat, giving as much detail as I can.  I'll show one boat on the ship, in her chocks and one suspended over the side with her lifting tackle.... this will take me a while.

Regards,

Dennis

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #292 on: April 16, 2014, 11:22:07 pm »

"As much detail as I can"...

looking forward to this  :-))
Amateur at work...

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #293 on: April 17, 2014, 11:23:17 am »

Tks Footski,  Yes... tempting to case her up and be done with it.  However, I have really wanted to show a ships boat being hoisted in the "launch " position, using the proper block and tackle and yard configuration.  I don't believe I have ever seen that modeled before, although, I am sure it has been done.  I  have seen a ships boat lowered  to the model base.. but that made no sense to me to do it that way.  So, now I'm starting to fit out the detail of a much smaller boat, giving as much detail as I can.  I'll show one boat on the ship, in her chocks and one suspended over the side with her lifting tackle.... this will take me a while.

Regards,

Dennis

see the excellent victory http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,43574.25.html post #49

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #294 on: April 17, 2014, 05:36:55 pm »

Thank you so much for that link on the Victory.... awesome work and yes, a ships boat going over the side or being lifted aboard!  First I have seen... told ya, its probably been done already.  I bow to the "master" and am always amazed at what some model ship builders can do.  I'm just a hacker and I know it.... but its truly fun for those in it.
Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #295 on: April 18, 2014, 02:40:20 am »

Smaller of the two ships boats mounted.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #296 on: April 18, 2014, 11:52:08 am »

Hacker - youre avin a laff aint ya guv  {-) - your quality rigging etc is to die for  O0

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #297 on: April 18, 2014, 04:30:23 pm »

Thank you kind sir.  Its the humble side of me.  This hobby has so many fine lines of expertise that when presented with a Masters work, it brings me to my knees.  I have told myself over the  years to just strive to do the best that I can and to keep pushing myself to improve as I go.  I have discovered that its the builders who know how to bring in the realism... proper scale, weathering, color.. that when they set a camera on deck and take a shot, that the result is as good a being there!  Now, that Victory, 20 plus years in the build, one gets taken away to another date and time... truly amazing.  Then, with most of you dear folks, you bring all that realism onto the water and how real does that get!

Dennis

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #298 on: April 18, 2014, 08:19:45 pm »

I have sat here and read this thread a couple times, I have stared at the pictures and I just want to say what a great craftsman you are.
I know you will say you just play with it and others are better but I wish I had half your skill and a quarter of your patience.
Thank you for sharing not only your wonderful work but your knowledge and humour with us all.
What do you mean 1:1 is not a model?

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #299 on: April 19, 2014, 02:30:19 am »

Thank you for your kind remarks sir.  I am humbled.  As some of you know, I am currently fighting cancer, its in my blood and bones and my doctors are working well as a team to gain me some more time.  My Faith is strong and is what sustains me.  I have asked God to help me finish this model so that I could leave it to the family.  He seems to be granting my wish.  I feel fine actually, just suffering from being tired from the radiation.  My next project is to finish a 15ft sailing skiff I started last year and so do want to enter it in the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival.. perhaps He will grant me time for that as well.  Life is what one puts into it and each day is to be treasured.  This group has given me a ton of joy and interest and ideas to help me along the way.

Fairwinds and Smooth sailing to all.

Dennis
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.