The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Lifeboats

Twin Screw Liverpool class lifeboat

(1/6) > >>

gribeauval:
I have been bullied into posting my latest build log for a certain party to follow. :-))

I have been watching the restoration videos on YouTube of the Twin Screw Liverpool class Lifeboat, George Elmy. I have had for a while a pdf file of the GA drawings of this boat as well as some other section drawings of a Liverpool and decided to build one. Being known for not doing things the conventional way I decided to built at 1/6th scale instead of the usual 1/12th scale!

The main drawing was printed out at at 1/6th scale on my A3 printer and the results joined to produce a single sheet plan. This is now too big to handle so it was stuck on the only wall capable of holding it in the house, the main bedroom!! (Good job I have an understanding wife who after 40 years of marriage has learned to live in a boatyard!!!!

The opposite wall now holds the other section drawings of the boat I had which were also at 1/6th scale

As I can't work on large boats at the moment because I still have a 47ft Watson awaiting collection and clogging up my workspace  I have decided to do part of the boat that can be done/moved around easily, the engine shelter/casing.
This is double diagonally planked in the same way as the hull and at 1/6th scale can be built in the prototypical manner with frames and stringers under the planks.

The first thing was to make the base frame. This was steamed, laminated and bent to shape over a full size template and allowed to set overnight.

The main strongback was steam bent and shaped over a former and again allowed to set overnight.

A set of formers made from the drawings were set up at the correct locations and the main strongback let into them (but not glued as the formers will be removed later) and glued to the base frame at the front.

The rest of the stringers have been bent and fitted,and the first of the planking support hoops added.Overall view of the canopy at the moment.

davidjt:
hi,

i cant wait for this build that you have started, as i have just started building the same but at 1/12.
hopefully based on the Anthony Robert Marshall which was based at rhyl from 1949 to 1968 on 869.
like you i have been wacthing the goerge emly restoration and what a fantastic film on youtube. :-))

davidjt

Neil:
what timber are you using for all the stringers Mike.
neil.

gribeauval:

--- Quote from: Neil on October 27, 2012, 08:44:10 pm ---what timber are you using for all the stringers Mike.
neil.

--- End quote ---
My favourite timber, lime, it steams and bends easily, glues well and has less tendency to split than obeche or spruce.

Rottweiler:
My favourite type of Lifeboat.I really will follow this one.A good choice Mike!
Mick F

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version