Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HK Hornet F1 upgraded.  (Read 2829 times)

Lancejsy

• Full Mayhemer
  • How much!!
    • jerseymodelboats
HK Hornet F1 upgraded.
« on: October 29, 2012, 11:58:09 am »

Hello all. A while back I brought a HK F1 Hornet to use on the lion park pond which is a tad to small. I got one run in when it decided to stop in the middle of the pond, I thought the esc or the motor had gone pop. It came down with a 1400kv motor and a 50amp esc. As it was now in bits I thought I would upgrade it to a 4122 with a 100 amp esc, and she is fast, very fast. We now have a big reservoir to run on which means longer time at full throttle, using it on the reservoir scared the living daylights out of me.

I am having a few problems getting her on plain quickly as I still have the original plastic prop on,  it screams like hell before it hops up the plain .
Can any one let me know which way to go as I cant find any marks on the plastic prop.
There is a small clip from the lion park pond at jerseymodelboats.com.
Thank you
Lance

F1 madness

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HK Hornet F1 upgraded.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 07:28:12 pm »

how many cells you running ???????
Also 4122KV is too high for running boats,youll have too stick to the small prop as youll end up frying the motor & esc
You would of been better with lower and bigger prop
Also the 3.2mm flexis are very weak so depending on cells you running ( your rpms) it wont last long and they are hard to get as HK dont stock the spares

Lancejsy

• Full Mayhemer
  • How much!!
    • jerseymodelboats
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 01:32:18 pm »

Hello F1 madness, I am running 3cell 2200 mah  Turnigy Li-Pos. I have been watching a lot of clips on you tube about the Hornet and you are right about the flexi shaft being weak. People with Hornets are changing the bottom end as they don't like taking the power that they are putting throw, the motor and esc are performing well at the moment and when or if it goes pop I can use my small bolt hydro until any  new parts are here. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Two more question F1, What size brushess would you recommend  and rough prop sizes to get it going at the same speed it is going at
moment, as I can think about changing and buying new parts.

Do you have a model shops you can recommend to get fast parts as on jersey we don't have any model shops.

Thank you for your advice and I will take it all in when shopping.

Thank You F1 :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
Lance

F1 madness

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 07:19:42 pm »

3 Cell is defo too too much your unloaded RPMs are 45000+ unload deduct between 5-10% depending on prop,flexi drag etc
I would look and a 36mm diameter motor around 2700kv and prop x440 or 40mm with 1.4pitch will see you more reliable setup
but the biggest problem is going to be the flexi and how long it will last
Try Performance models he will ship too you directly just shoot him an email the only other 1 is Astec models but again email them 1st im sure they will be more than happy too help
Performance Models  http://www.performancemodels.co.uk/
Astec Models https://astecmodels.co.uk/catalog
hope this helps bud
F1

Lancejsy

• Full Mayhemer
  • How much!!
    • jerseymodelboats
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 06:50:15 pm »

Thank you bud, that should keep me busy for a while. I will let you know how I am getting on and which way I go.
Cheers
Lance  :-)) :-)) :-))

Lancejsy

• Full Mayhemer
  • How much!!
    • jerseymodelboats
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 01:07:51 pm »

Hello again. I have taken your advice F1 and now am the proud owner of a new 2800kv and some nice new nano-tech 2.2 35-70 c li-po's.
I will run her next weekend (3rd Dec)and let you know how things go. On your head be it yound man should things go wrong LOL!!
Cheers
Lance

F1 madness

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 04:57:11 pm »

LOL
Have you tried yet  %)

Lancejsy

• Full Mayhemer
  • How much!!
    • jerseymodelboats
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 01:24:02 pm »

This coming weekend I will have it on the water bud.  :-)) :-))

Lancejsy

• Full Mayhemer
  • How much!!
    • jerseymodelboats
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 01:23:24 pm »

Typical, just need to change two motors round which should only take a couple of minutes, NO! NO! NO! >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(
I now find myself with more problems then I started with and had to completely strip down and rebuild the outboard and wait for some more new bits to come down.
Then another two minute job of changing the water jacket from the big brushless motor to the new one and the rubber seals break, so need to get new ones also.
I love this hobby. I have taken pictures of the outboard strip-down if members want to see what's inside the outboard and give us any advice you might have or ask any questions.
You can find them on jerseymodelboats.com later today(28th nov).
[size=78%]Sorry F1 but it will be a little time yet before she is on the water again, but as soon as it is I will let you know[/size][size=78%].[/size]
[size=78%]Lance[/size]
Jersey Channel Islands
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.