Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: selling stuff on the net  (Read 2851 times)

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
selling stuff on the net
« on: October 29, 2012, 12:32:51 pm »

Hi guys, I'm after some advice, I used to sell a small range of my own resin fittings back when I had my shop and haven't really done much with them since we closed down, however I still get a few enquiries for them and have been looking into a website but I think setting it up is a bit beyond me and don't want to be tied down with charges for hosting, domain names and such. The wife is into craft and I noticed that a lot of hobby businesses she deals with hardly ever update their websites but have a lot of activity on their Facebook page so I'm thinking this might be the way to go, set up a page, pop up some photos and bobs your uncle so to speak, a simple way to show off your stuff, or is it too simple ? is there something I'm missing or is their an easyer way? I would appreciate any constructive advice
mermod
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: selling stuff on the net
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 02:00:51 pm »

Hi
To give your self presence on the net you could just set up a Free 1 page site at most providers, Reg 123 offer a 1 page free website You have to buy your domain but that is usually about 5.00 a year , less in most cases and quite easy to update, or you could try having an agreement with a current supplier and see if you could come to an agreement with them to sell your fittings

http://www.123-reg.co.uk/instantsite/

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 02:04:50 pm »

Facebook trading appears to be OK. My daughter sell jewellry that way quite successfully. However, I believe it restricts your customer base to those who use facebook. I, for one, don't. So you pays yer money (or not) and makes yer choice.
Don't Assume Check

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 02:06:27 pm »

No idea about Facebook (or Twitter). Like a lot of people I don't use it as a rule.
There are various options on ebay. There are quite a few companies that have their own websites AND an ebay shop, so it's obviously a reasonable option.

Whenever I do a Google search for an item it usually chucks up a few ebay pages as well as more normal online shops. Never a Facebook page that I can recall. Of course other search engines will give different results, so you probably need to try some of your kinds of products in each one and see who your competition is and where they are selling.

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 02:24:57 pm »

We have a retail outlet, a website and an Ebay prescence....to be fair if you are looking to make a few quid with the least amount of commitment and cost I think Ebay would be your best bet.

We pay to host a 'proper' web site and get quite a few visitors - but 95% of our electronic sales are via Ebay. we had a few issues to begin with as sales quite quickly exceeded Ebay's/Paypal's  monthly limits.  As we hadn't registered as a 'proper' shop we got put on stop under EU money laundering rules and had to register as a legit business along with the increased costs that attracts.

Having a facebook prescence might not be bad idea as when you get searched for by the likes of Google, any internet activity gets you to the top of the search lists...on your Fb page make sure you have links to your Ebay shop, web site etc...Facebook is okay but doesn't hit the widest market like Ebay - my only big gripe is the cost of money transactions when using Paypal - but you are protected as are your customers, offering direct payments into your bank account is always an option. Best of luck.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 02:37:44 pm »

Yes, I would say Ebay is probably the first step as it's well recognised and both speller & buyer
are protected ... somewhat!

You can always may a start by posting your wares here on Mayhem, under  Traders
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=116.0

I allow free postings for "Traders" as long as they don't abuse the privilege.
Take some photos, publish contact details, prices & T&C and see what happens!

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 03:22:27 pm »

Yes, I would say Ebay is probably the first step as it's well recognised and both speller & buyer
are protected ... somewhat!

Martin

See the spell checker isn't working yet Boss. 
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 03:32:28 pm »

It's Martin in Halloween mode or he's been watching H Potter  :D

Ned
Watch out for the Dorset Spellers lad
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 03:35:32 pm »

spell checker works well - unfortunately it doesn't allow for bad grammar, lack of vocabulary or knowledge of the English language.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 03:55:41 pm »

... is he having a dig at me?!!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 03:56:56 pm »

Mermod, why not try Martin's suggestion of a start on the forum.
Do you want to be posting packages worldwide with all the customs declaration forms etc or just sell in the Antipodes?
If you sell to forum members and your stuff is as good as we have seen on your builds, you should have customers who will endorse your products to anyone coming up with the question
'Who supplies...............?'

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 04:29:25 pm »

I Sell via ebay and have a website too, the website is more of an online catalogue as my host charges me very little for providing my site but there are  restrictions  on online selling  on the site i use...

but that is fine by me, - i use the  basic site to catlogue my products and part numbers,  and at the end i have a link to my ebay shop or to my contact email, so if the item they want cant be spotted on ebay listing they can get in touch, it works for me... and the costs for this method of sale are minimal....

ebay fees are a percentage so can be calculated into your costs.....

i found setting up a website with ' integrated' shop and payment function was both costly and a drawn out process in comparison to using ebay.... plus ebay is world wide so i have buyers from all over the globe now !
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 08:29:09 pm »

My experience is the same as Grasshopper's. Ebay does the business. It's not just the time and money in setting up and running a website. You have to spend a lot of time on SEO to get your products noticed, something Ebay does pretty well for you.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 09:27:51 pm »

... It's not just the time and money in setting up and running a website. You have to spend a lot of time on SEO to get your products noticed, ...

It's a lot easier to pay Google direct by using 'adwords'. Then they automatically stick you at the top of the page and it's not horribly expensive.

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 11:17:46 am »

Thanks so much for all the advice guys, I will have a go at ebay eventually, still have a bit of a fear of online selling but will get over that I'm sure.
Martin, thanks for the offer of using the traders section, will get some stuff bagged up and give it a shot.
Just incase anyone on here does use facebook I have tried setting up a page for my model bits and builds kind of like a blog,  you need to login and search for Mersey Models, I will hopefully attach this to any future ebay ventures.
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.