Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Decisions and more decisions  (Read 5202 times)

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
Decisions and more decisions
« on: October 30, 2012, 09:36:18 pm »

I started a similar thread a week or so ago, it disappeared along with dozens of others so ill try again ok2

Its coming up to that time of year where i cant lay many brick and do much builder work, so boats will be getting a lot of play time.
Im currently scratch building a FV Northwestern, its great and will be done when its done im needing to build a kit in conjunction with it, as cutting and glueing will give a welcome break from finding and drawing making absolutely everything for my other build.

So what kit to build ?  {:-{

choices are

Smit Rotterdam
Aziz
Fairmont Alpine
North sea supply vessel ( old style one )
samson 2
our lass 2
drumbeat of devon
seabex one
mv crear
tsekoa 2

I have a delapelated MV Crear which im going to overhaul into its current carnation the kystbunker, itll be fun, as ill have to like in real life cut it down the centre and extend the hull and add a bulbous bow.

So what to do next guys. %%

cheers

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Decisions and more decisions
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 09:39:53 pm »

I remember the thread.     :}

Did we decide you should have a go on the  SEABEX ONE.  mainly because we want to watch how it's done.     O0 O0 O0

Regards

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 09:46:17 pm »

I remember the thread.     :}

Did we decide you should have a go on the  SEABEX ONE.  mainly because we want to watch how it's done.     O0 O0 O0

Regards

ken

Thats right as i was a bit excited having found a pristine one untouched by the glue gods {-)
I remember thinking the depth required for seabex one, it needed to have its undivided build time and i wasnt sure whether to keep it seabex one of have it as a modern carnation ( again another decision ) lol

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 09:47:31 pm »

You could always put her up for sale.       %) %) %) %) %) %)

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 10:52:41 pm »

:o ;D

lol, not in any near future.....

but life has taught me everything can be purchased 8)

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 05:09:30 pm »

woow !!!! thanks for all the help  {:-{  lol

i think im going to go for the double whammy Mv Crear new build and modify an existing one. I read the review and it is apparently a straightforward build....thatll do me for now

the reworking will be more challenging as im going to cut the hull in half and extend it, reform the stern and build a new bulbous bow as in real life.

i currently am finnishing off a Maggie M (currently up on the dry dock) it is the modern Maggie.

As far as the Northwestern is concerned ive been practicing and practicing my soldering and after a dodgy start i changed the solder to the 60/40 tin lead stuff, woow what a difference i can make it work  :}  so im ready to keep moving forward with it also......

surely this variety will keep the enthusiasm moving  O0

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 12:20:45 am »

still working on Maggie, all her running gear is in and ive had a few sea trials.
there was already a build thread on the go, thats why ive not done one. mast, railings and a few forward details are done just going to do wheelhouse over the next week or so. Ill post a few pics up.

I had issues with under power in my first sea trial, i had used the cast prop that came with it, that was where my problem was, it was giving no screw action, a brand new raboesch did the trick. Its powered by a 540 mfa 6:1 @ 12v gives it a good bow wave and enough speed, cant remember think its recommended.

im pleased as its my first ever go at electronics and apart from a little smoke and a wire melting out of viper 15 speed controller, it works really well.....a bit of superglue around the wire has it workin a treat.. {-) {-)

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 07:49:04 pm »

Ive been really ill recently, but pop out to the shed for 20 mins every now and again to get some fresh air {-)

not taken any pics but making slow steady progress. As this thread is about decisions ive added another one

im really chuffed to add an untouched kontio to my to do list. ive scouted about and seabex and probably kontio should wait until im a bit more experienced. One 3/4 scratch and one 3/4 simple kit so far perhaps after the crear etc

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 08:06:09 pm »

Hope your health improves, and look forward to following your builds, and the odd picture would be much appreciated
vnkiwi
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 12:53:00 am »

Hi Chris
Yes get well and you have done a great job on the Northwestern so far  :-))

Dave

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 01:39:01 pm »

Seeing your Northwestern build I dont think you will have any problem with any kit. Would love to see a Kontio build, would like to have one myself. I'm gonna follow your Crear build with great interest.
Hope you get well soon, Merry Christmas!

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 05:25:16 pm »

cheers,
starting to feel better,

Ive started collecting kits since starting the northwestern, i think i like both worlds "scratch and kit". Basically i stopped smoking 2 years ago in january my reward is my hobby so i allow myself the budget equivalent towards costs.
Im not sure if the wife will allow me the courtesy to much longer as im a fully non smoker now in her eyes my budget allocation shouldnt count >>:-( <*<

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 01:03:02 am »

HI Chris what is it about women, I feel sure that the day they can't spend every penny they can get their hands on they will start eating it instead. I told my better half that it is my budget & is not up for discussion until she sells her collection of hadbags & shoes. After that things have got very quiet about model costs. I am impressed with your Northwestern, will be looking forward to the first sea trials, by the way Merry Xmas & happy New Year. Mick B.
Mick B.

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 07:25:31 pm »

merry crimbo and wonderful 2013 to you guys also

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 08:15:08 pm »

Ive spent the whole holidays, sorting my garage to make room, i couldnt move for crap and crimbo pressies. The garage is almost ready as a work space.

to continue the decisions discussion

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 10:47:35 pm »

Hi Chris
Your garage has more "stock" than some model shops  O0
Don't forget a decent chair too.
Dave

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 05:34:43 pm »

cheers Dave

i have a computer chair in mind  O0

having found my passion i dont mind having a back log of kits...i tell the wife that they dont lose any value {-) 

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 05:38:36 pm »

It only becomes a problem if you take up Scratch-building instead...  :D
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 05:56:56 pm »

lol I have more the twenty yes 20 to make bought as a investment before I retired, more I have less money coming in means am not eating in to my penion and after seeing how much some have gone up in the last few years am glad I did.
                     Regards Howard.

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 06:04:17 pm »

True Mike,
my first boat is a scratch build, with no drawing...so it has taken a bit out of me, so ive been building a Maggie M and to be honest i thoroughly enjoy both.
I love the fact all the bits are there for a kit, i also like improvising for the scratch, it is obviously slower and trickier..probably more expensive too.

Ive got a foot in both camps and love it  :D

Hi Howard
Kits go out of stock really quick, my moto has been if i like it and have money available ill buy it for later.....I really wanted a seabex and kontio...they are like hens teeth untouched....i payed alot for them...because well they had me over a barrel but now im the proud owner of 2 untouched kits that havent been produced for 6 / 8 years..... ill catch you up i have 16 untouched  ok2
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.