Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: inter net speed  (Read 5420 times)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: inter net speed
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 07:48:06 pm »

4000m is about the limit for a copper link from exchange to end user to get anything reliable over 8Meg

One of the major issues it the quality of the copper line from the exchange to the end user.  If you physical phone line is old then it will incur losses.  Most ISPs prefer not to consider this as a problem as it costs money to put right.

A quick way of checking is to look at the attenuation and SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) margins on your router (Thats if your isp will let you login to the box as many don't)
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

chingdevil

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 08:04:27 pm »

If you read the small print of the Virgin Broadband  contract you will see that Virgin slow down the internet acess you get, so all the speeds are the same for all customers. I believe it is between 15:00 - 21:00, if you question this they say this makes it fair, they do not appear to believe that you should get what you pay for.
I am a Virgin customer and I have many an argument on this matter

Brian

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2012, 10:50:11 am »

I'd try Sam Knows for this info.

Slightly off topic though, for years I have been plagued with poor internet speed, frequently dropped connections whenever it rains or I get a telephone call. Everytime I complained to the ISP \ BT, they said there were no faults on the line and it was my side of the NTE5 despite me having no extension wiring, changing routers, filters and even telephone handset blah, blah, blah.

BT have recently introduced FTTC in my area and have eagerly been waiting for this. 10 days ago, I found out my local (new) BT cabinet was officially operational. By sheer co incidence, I can see from my router line stats that my connection has been rock solid for nearly 240 hours and no dropped connections. Calls to my landline are clear (no background pops and hisses) and dont cause broadband to be dropped!

Im still on ADSL2 but clearly, BT have done something with the new cabinet coming on line so all the issues I had for years before, were down to BT's sh*te infrastructure as I always suspected.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2012, 11:02:07 am »

According to the BT Infinity web pages we should get around 49 Mbps at our Postcode.  Problem is we already have BT Infinity and only get around 3.8 Mbps.  Speed testers do vary a bit, but do show our speed is fairly typical in this area for users on BT Infinity.  So why is their website so deliberately missleading ?    Virgin users sometimes get up to 14 Mbps, other networks less than BT.

After installation, when we believed they were going to connect us to the BT box across the road, we found out later that our connection is actually copper wire to a BT box almost a mile away where the nearest fibre optic exists.

About time there was an Ombudsman to enforce truthful advertising.

I dont think the BT website is false here since the advertised speed must now be quoted based on the lowest 10% of users in your area.

There's clearly a problem here since 3meg is nearer ADSL2 speeds than Infinity's. You need to get onto BT about it as there's no way you should be getting speeds that low with Infinity. Even Infinity becomes slower the further you are from the exchange but, anything upto about 4km should deliver good speed.

No speed test should be done wirelessly. All speed tests should be done while the pc \ lappie is plugged into the router by ethernet cable.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2012, 11:20:07 am »

Like I said before, if the voice service is bad, the internet has little chance.  If you have a noisy line and the internet is poor, its no use reporting the internet.  Concentrate on the voice service.  With the current methods of line testing, being automated, it just takes a snapshot of line conditions and presents them on screen as a table of values.  Not anywhere nearby, it could be anywhere in the world.  If asked nicely, it could take a series of snapshots over a few seconds.  This is never as good as a man on site watching an analogue meter for intermittent faults, or doing some meaningful testing with a level measuring set to check for transmission quality, but then again, I might have a biased view on the subject.
It is quite possible that the cable between the exchange and your cabinet was adequate for normal voice frequency, but just wasn't up to high frequencies, so replacing it with an optical link removed the problem.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2012, 11:31:40 am »

Like I said before, if the voice service is bad, the internet has little chance.  If you have a noisy line and the internet is poor, its no use reporting the internet.  Concentrate on the voice service.  With the current methods of line testing, being automated, it just takes a snapshot of line conditions and presents them on screen as a table of values.  Not anywhere nearby, it could be anywhere in the world.  If asked nicely, it could take a series of snapshots over a few seconds.  This is never as good as a man on site watching an analogue meter for intermittent faults, or doing some meaningful testing with a level measuring set to check for transmission quality, but then again, I might have a biased view on the subject.
It is quite possible that the cable between the exchange and your cabinet was adequate for normal voice frequency, but just wasn't up to high frequencies, so replacing it with an optical link removed the problem.

BT dont want to know whether you report a voice problem or broadband problem. I did bother them separately many times. BT know you have broadband and as soon as you say 'crackly line' they say internet! I even had a 'special' broadband engineer investigate my problem. He said there was no problem but replace the copper twin from my NTE 5 to their grey box outside my property and fitted a new faceplace. This had the effect of increasing my line speed to about 6.5meg but didnt cure the stability or noisy line. BT then tried charging me £200 for the 'no problem' the engineer didnt find!

I had them check the voice side many, many times and each time BT said 'no fault on the line, have you tried a new handset, blah, blah, blah.'

Put simply, BT know their pre FTTC infrastructure is sh*te and not fit for purpose which is why they fob customers off.

That said, since the FTTC came on stream, Im not having any issues and I've not changed a thing. Weird that, isnt it?

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2012, 11:36:44 am »

we too were told that our line was good, eventually an engineer was sent - he ignored all of the job instructions and started testing from scratch (and not just because he is my cousins husband) but as he said the engineers have learned never to trust any of the tests supposedly done by the call centre. starting at the socket on the wall he changed that, apparently it was the old type never designed for internet, then he tested the line. said he had found a few issues outside, dissapeared outside for 2 hours, came back to report that several joints in the inspection pit had been sitting in puddles, but he had stripped them dried them and re sealed the joint, and moved them out of the puddles in the pits, following this he repeated all the tests and reported the line as sound, after this everything was fine until they upgraded to fibre optic, when our router was then out of date. that was replaced free under their fibre optic upgrade program (as their changes had caused thee fault, and now we are getting 12-15 Mb/s on standard asdl.
Grendel

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2012, 11:42:08 am »

BT dont want to know whether you report a voice problem or broadband problem. I did bother them separately many times. BT know you have broadband and as soon as you say 'crackly line' they say internet! I even had a 'special' broadband engineer investigate my problem. He said there was no problem but replace the copper twin from my NTE 5 to their grey box outside my property and fitted a new faceplace. This had the effect of increasing my line speed to about 6.5meg but didnt cure the stability or noisy line. BT then tried charging me £200 for the 'no problem' the engineer didnt find!

I had them check the voice side many, many times and each time BT said 'no fault on the line, have you tried a new handset, blah, blah, blah.'

Put simply, BT know their pre FTTC infrastructure is sh*te and not fit for purpose which is why they fob customers off.

That said, since the FTTC came on stream, Im not having any issues and I've not changed a thing. Weird that, isnt it?
what you need to say is that you have taken the faceplate of the bt box off and with nothing else plugged in but a single phone in the test socket revealled you are getting noise on the line with all the different handsets you have available. by taking the cover off and connecting to  the test socket you are automatically removing any issues inside your property, thus proving it is an external fault. the real trick is getting a good engineer out who knows his stuff and is willing to spend the time to investigate properly and fix the fault.
Grendel

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2012, 11:56:01 am »

what you need to say is that you have taken the faceplate of the bt box off and with nothing else plugged in but a single phone in the test socket revealled you are getting noise on the line with all the different handsets you have available. by taking the cover off and connecting to  the test socket you are automatically removing any issues inside your property, thus proving it is an external fault. the real trick is getting a good engineer out who knows his stuff and is willing to spend the time to investigate properly and fix the fault.
Grendel
Just so, but thats assuming that it is the type of NTE that has the internal wiring connected to the faceplate, and that the internal wiring really is connected like that.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2012, 12:24:52 pm »

I have just reported a crackly voice connection to BT but my internet is working normally (i.e. as slow as usual). Their tests (results given online and by SMS to my mobile) indicate that there is a problem associated with the street distribution box which doesn't surprise me as the road next to it has just been dug up to lay new gas mains.

Just seems a bit odd that voice is barely working yet broadband not affected. I did plug the phone directly into the house BT box, cutting out the modem, and the problem persisted.

Colin

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2012, 12:26:09 pm »

true but I was told that if that isnt how you are connected it should be, its the first thing the call centre asks you to do (off course it does cut you off when you do it).
Grendel

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2012, 12:28:24 pm »

See edit above - I did try with the modem disconnected.
Colin

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2012, 01:31:44 pm »

broadband will work when voice doesnt albeit on the slow side , it can even sometimes work on 1 wire
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.