Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy Hunter 5 footer  (Read 18166 times)

Stavros

Re: Happy Hunter 5 footer
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2012, 05:33:59 pm »

Right then I now needed to rub down and primer the superstructure in readyness for the top coat this I rubbed down with 180 paper dry and coated with Lechler 2 pack primer filler I applyed this with my weapon of choice a Davellbis JGA spray gun.The primer is mixed in a ration of 5 paint 1 hardener and 10% thinners ok this is for proffesu=ional use by spray gun application.BUT you can of course apply it with a brush or roller !!!!!!!!!!

You like me can cheat with the best of them...what I mena by this is simple bruch it on and dry flat it smooth,perfectly ACCEPTABLE.....how many bodyshops apply primer with a roller nad then dry flat it ..........let me tell you ....LOADS,yes it is  a2 pack paint and dont be under any illusions about the dangers of it's use,I use a air fed mask to apply it by spray gun ......BUT if used in a well ventalated area with a roller and wearing a mask it is fairly safe to do this.

I WILL NOT ENTERTAIN ANY CLAIM FOR COMPO ETC AS A RESULT OF YOUR ILLNESS AFTER USING IT

Now you will notice that in some areas of the superstucture the primer looks like I have put it on with a trowel,this was done delliberatly and it is NOT runs.ALL will be revealled on the next thrilling installment.

Weapon of choice

Primer

Matt or satin used as guide coat

Stav

Stavros

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2012, 05:49:15 pm »

Right then as previous post staed you will see that in the first pic I have primered the front of the superstructure all is well

But To be honest with you it loos pants this is due to wood being used,now I had 2 options stop and fill with wither car filler or wood filler or use the product to my advantage and as it is called FILLER primer....the clue is in the capitals ;)
so as I said it was troweled on.ARGHHH I hear you all cry BUT it is perfectly acceptable to do this wiht this product as the paint hardens by chemical reaction so will harden with no problems at all.

Now as it has been overcoated with a guide coat every dip bump etc is evident and will be dealt with tomorrow and all will be revealeed

Stav

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2012, 06:52:19 pm »

Great work Stav it must be nice to know that much about painting. Electrics & painting are my weak points, among a few others, LOL. I like the MGB GT's in the background though, that is what I do for a living. ( 50 Years & counting ) I will be following your work all the time & thanks for sharing your painting knowledge, any questions on the GT's though just ask me. Mick B.
Mick B.

Stavros

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2012, 10:22:17 pm »

Right then as promised an explanation why I trowelled the paint on,as I explained earlier this product is  PRIMER FILLER so th eclue is in the product,you can brush,roller or spray it on as Many bodyshops do just that.

Now as the wood has a grain and is difficult to hide even using the appropriate wood paint etc this product does the job in half the time so to speak,lash it on and rub it down to s smooth finish ....simples really

Right then there are 2 ways of doing this...either go in straight away with 500 grit paper DRY or start with 180 Grit then guid coat AGAIN with the black then use 500 grit to get rid of all the marks off the180 parper......NOW just to let you in on a small secret I DO NOT use wet/dry paper to do this ....NO WAY as it will clog what you need to use is what thye calll in the trade as DA discs.......available on EBAY in different grades YES I know and fully realise htat a box of a 100 will last you a lifetime .........bUT htink of it this way you will pay in Halfords £6 for 4 sheets of wet/dry....in my mind it is a NO brainer.

The main thing to get if using this system is a rubber block to make sure that you are rubbing down the primer smooth and even and not leaving finger print lines in it,in other words leaving groves,do not worry a thing about the thickness that you apply it will NOT crack in time at all.

Rubbing down block

Looks bad doesnt it

180 Grit starting to do it's job

60 secs later

All Gone

I then guide coated this again and rubbed down with 500 to get a smooth finish like this....the baubles you see in hte pic are actually dust wich I should have wiped off before taking the photo.........Well come on guuys we ALL make Mistkaes ha ha

Stav

Now you see it

Now you dont

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2012, 10:41:43 pm »

What yellow is that Stav, just looks like the lemon yellow on my First Car a VW Derby.. :}

Stavros

« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2012, 11:40:32 pm »

Ford Signal yellow as used in the 70's

Stav

Stavros

« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2012, 07:47:30 pm »

Right then superstructure was eventually painted White nad guess who forgot to take pics

So it all has been painted so it's assembly time YIPPE

More to follow tomorrow

Stav

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2012, 07:51:24 pm »

Beautiful Stav.  Can't wait to see her at Warwick.     :-))

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

chingdevil

« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2012, 09:05:31 pm »

Like Ken I look forward to seeing it at Warwick Stav, and of course you and Phil.

Brian

Stavros

« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2012, 11:19:48 pm »

Hopefully tomorrow I should have finished her ready to go down to Warwick,not as finished as i really wanted bur hey ho this is work in progress more pics to come

Stav

Stavros

« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2012, 05:36:04 pm »

Right then as Promised some more of the work in progress so to speak,One thing I had noticed that there were NO doors for the crew to come out on deck so to speak so this just had to be addressed so a door was made read to go on the superstructure

There si supposed to be a tank on the fwd part of the superstructure deck so this was duly made and as it looked so plain I just had to detail it somehow,so engage brain into gear and around 100 pins were cut down to look like rivets

The Hiab Boom needed a rest so this was constructed using a piece of square balsa and sheathed with plastic card

As the Hiab will be a working version it was deemed necessarry to have a safe area around it duly a set of Brass railings were constructed and soldered together

A final pic for now of the Happy Hunter awaiting del to the Warwick show

Dave
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.