Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sheets and RC Winches  (Read 6290 times)

Richardjm

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
Sheets and RC Winches
« on: November 07, 2012, 06:41:13 pm »

Hi All
I am scratch building a sailing ketch and am thinking about the sheet control winch arrangement.
I am favouring an endless loop driving a brass "thingy" to and fro along a rod. This in turn would push a follower one way only to which the sheets are attached. The idea is that the sails pull the follower in the other direction preventing loose cord getting caught up below deck level. I have read about this system which seems a good idea. Only problem is that I have no metal working machines. Has anyone done something similar using commercially available or home made bits?

Another question,who is a good supplier of pulleys and other bits for the control system.

Thanks
Richard

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sheets and RC Winches
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 09:36:08 pm »

You have not indicated what scale you are working in, assuming 500mm to 1 metre....

Last question first: I have used Micro Magic turning blocks - sensibly priced and they work fine. Made of plastic, very strong, Costs about $7 for two
https://www.radioyachtsuppliesaustralia.com/products/Micro-Magic-Turning-Blocks%2C-Fit-to-Servo-Sheet-Arm.--Part-%23-M%252d2418..html
Alternative is PeKaBe - great stuff but expensive - costs around $15 for a simple block

For an on-deck endless loop winch example - the Hurricane 1000 (1 metre) has a drum servo mounted through the deck well aft, winch is about under the end of the mainsail boom (bermuda rig). The loop runs forward to a pulley at the bow. Sheets attach to the loop in appropriate places. Easily provides sheet travel of up to 300mm
Picture below shows winch drum and mainsail fairlead. (Bow is to left of picture) Red circle was from another discussion relating to sheet adjustment methods.
The knot on the port side of the loop is where the jib sheet attaches - this the runs forward past the mast to the jib fairlead. Mainsail sheet attaches on starboard side of loop, runs aft to mainsail fairlead just in front of winch drum. Simple, strong, trouble free. Servo is EXI B1226 or similar - there are a lot of similar ones about - cost is around $30. Minimize deck furniture to avoid sheet tangles.

It is also possible to do endless loop below deck and bring sheets up through fairleads, depends on hatch position..... if you provide a bit more information, may be able to help more....

Amateur at work...

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 08:43:42 am »

The alternative is a sail arm which works fine for many models (depending on size). There are no tangles and an arm system reacts much faster than a winch.
It is also much simpler.

I don't know if you have considered this option, before choosing to go with a drum winch.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 11:25:27 am »

Hello Richard,

The closed loop is, in itself, considered as a solution to the loose sheet problems.  Your traveller idea sounds fun but it it necessary?

On my first yacht, I ran the closed loop above the decks:

My current project is a tad more OTT having multiple winches running closed loops below the decks and only the sheets coming up through tubular fairleads:

I've been careful to ensure (hopefully) that loose sheets won't tangle round anything below decks.

Hope this helps.

Robert.

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 12:58:56 pm »

Hello,

This is a Link to the system used on my Schooner, Bluenose.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=616.0

Been in use for years, never goes wrong, works well all the time.

John.  :-))
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

Richardjm

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 06:45:49 pm »

Hi guys

Sorry for delay. Jobs at home keep getting in the way of boating.

My project is a Lowestoft sailing trawler at 1:20 scale which makes the hull about a metre long. The endless line will have to be below deck to keep the scale appearance but thanks for your replies, some great ideas for me to use.

Richard

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 07:14:55 pm »

Hello Richard,

Anything that is fitted below deck, could be difficult to get at and repair when it goes wrong !!.

Building a boat with "Scale appearance" makes things worse.

John.
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

JerryTodd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Scale Sailor
    • Modeling Projects
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 04:34:29 am »

Hear him brothers and sisters, for he speaks the truth!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.