Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spray Paint finish has gone matt!  (Read 5720 times)

Lash151

• Full Mayhemer
Spray Paint finish has gone matt!
« on: December 03, 2012, 06:19:09 pm »

Hi... I got a really nice gloss finish to my Lifeboat orange... then, cocked up the window frames, pulled them off, used white spirit to clean up the surface.... and now the orange spray painted wheelhouse has gone matt!  Do I have to rub it down and respray it, or is there a way of getting the gloss finish back?
Cheers Lee

Stavros

Re: Spray Paint finish has gone matt!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 06:43:46 pm »

Should not have gone Matt at all,are you 100% sure it was white spirit and not something else,if I have run out of panel wipe I sometimes will use this to degrease prior to spraying BUT it has to be thouroughly wiped off.Maybee you can show us a pic,have you tried to polish up with a soft clean cloth or even used T cut or similar

Dave

Lash151

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 07:01:57 pm »

Hi... thanks for the reply Dave... I didn't think it would go Matt either! I will post a picture tomorrow... when its light. The suggestion of T cut is good... I will try to polish it out first, as you suggest.
Lee

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 08:25:59 pm »

some builders use lacquer to protect the finish.Would this put the shine back on the paint anyway?
Mick F

Lash151

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 08:44:47 pm »

Hi Mick... yes, this had crossed my mind...

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 10:19:00 pm »

Unless the finish has gone equally matt all over then lacquering or varishing may also give a varying quality of gloss.

If it's not too difficult then a respray might be safer assuming that the white spirit hasn't damaged the surface finish. You didn't say what paint you used for the orange finish.

Colin

Lash151

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 10:25:04 pm »

Hi Colin...
I used Halfords vw bright orange... it is very strange how it has gone matt... its just like I rubbed the surface with fine wet and dry... The only thing that has occurred to me is I used a computer screen cleaner cloth because it was sitting there next to me... I thought it was just smooth cloth... perhaps it had an additive in it. Lee

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 10:38:24 pm »

did you paint the model outside or in a damp atmosphere ?

Stavros

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 11:04:31 pm »

right there is normally a cleaner of some sorts in the cloth so sorry to say this but a respray is on the cards,as I believe a chemical reaction  between an AMONIA type cleaner and WHITE SPIRIT has occured and you have screwed the finish try polishing by all means but so,ehow I dont hold much hope

Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 11:14:44 pm »

I think Stavros is right, computer wipes are usually impregnated with some sort of solvent which may be alcohol based and you have applied a mixture of this and white spirit to an acrylic spray finish which may not be fully hard anyway unless it has been given a week or so to cure.

Cleaning up a painted surface is always tricky, meths is sometimes a possibility as it is less aggressive than white spirit.

Colin

Stavros

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 11:23:54 pm »

sorry to say this Colin but dont use Meths as it CAN ....not allways eat into the paint....White Spirit is harmless to a Rattle can finish as it it Spirit based,it is OK to use this to clean.meths is an Alchol based spirit and can cause megga problems....used it once by mistake cost ME a lot of money to put the finish right as it eat into the paint ....see even I make mistakes LOL.

I know this is oing to sound ARROGANT  ect etc etc but I wish you guys would read the painting thread sometimes ,........reason I say this is so so simple..........I advocate using PANEL WIPE for a reason and the reason is so sos SIMPLE really.

IT WILL NOT DAMAGE ANY PAINTWORK IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM....it is the modelers BEST friend....YOu can use it for DEGREASING.at any stage of your build and you can use it also for cleaning......need I say more.

I will appologise to everyone for being bombastic on this BUT I say it for a REASON

Rant over

Dave

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 01:58:28 am »

Dave, is Panel wipe the same or similar to 'tack rags' as I've heard them called?

Lash151

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 02:00:54 am »

sorry to say this Colin but dont use Meths as it CAN ....not allways eat into the paint....White Spirit is harmless to a Rattle can finish as it it Spirit based,it is OK to use this to clean.meths is an Alchol based spirit and can cause megga problems....used it once by mistake cost ME a lot of money to put the finish right as it eat into the paint ....see even I make mistakes LOL.

I know this is oing to sound ARROGANT  ect etc etc but I wish you guys would read the painting thread sometimes ,........reason I say this is so so simple..........I advocate using PANEL WIPE for a reason and the reason is so sos SIMPLE really.

IT WILL NOT DAMAGE ANY PAINTWORK IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM....it is the modelers BEST friend....YOu can use it for DEGREASING.at any stage of your build and you can use it also for cleaning......need I say more.

I will appologise to everyone for being bombastic on this BUT I say it for a REASON

Rant over

Dave

I ran out of panel wipes... sorry :embarrassed:

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 08:40:44 am »

Dave, is Panel wipe the same or similar to 'tack rags' as I've heard them called?

Tack rags are for removing dust etc from surfaces, normally you would then follow up with panel wipe just prior to painting

Or at least thats how I have used them in the past

I use the UPOL S2002 panel wipe
http://www.expresspaints.co.uk/productgroups/productcategory.aspx?pname=Panel-Wipe&categoryid=54

or you can buy pre-empregnated ones here
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_176921_langId_-1_categoryId_165495
Not used these myself but I'm sure others can chime in

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 08:57:21 am »

we used to use lighter fuel also for degreasing prior to painting, often used it as a substitute for panel wipe...
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 09:04:22 am »

Dave is right, we do tend to use whatever we have to hand, often with bad results.

I shall put Panel Wipe on my list to Santa.

Colin

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 10:29:52 am »

Aaah! thanks essex.               Guy - my father used lighter fuel for all manner of cleaning / degreasing processes and occasionally for filling his lighter  {-) 

Spook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 12:11:48 pm »

I know it's closing the stable door after the nag has legged it... but, for future reference, you don't need to varnish over Halfords gloss auto paints. Two or three coats will give a lovely hard-wearing finish. It's designed to protect car bodywork from knocks and scratches so it'll do the job on your boat.

On my Trent lifeboat, I left all of the upper works unvanrnished. I used Halfords primer and gloss paint on the hull (which I'll be honest I did varnish to protect the decals from knocks) and used Humbrol matt enamel and Humbrol Matt Cote on the deck, but the superstructure and the fly bridge deck, mast and fittings I left unvarnished - just the basic paint.  She's had many outings and taken a few knocks but the Halfords paint has stood up to it.  :-))

Lash151

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 04:47:18 pm »

One thing I have learned from this is...those little silky cloths that come with your glasses are brilliant for matting paint if used with white spirit!  (Could be useful) :embarrassed:
Lee

Stavros

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 08:04:32 pm »

Oh sugar those are impregnated with a fantastic chemical the really Matt's paint last year I had a woman call in to ask if i could polish her car door after she had used some spectcal cleaner to clean her car window and had wiped the door with it,lucky for her I was able to buff the paintwork up to a high gloss again,but it took a lot to get the shine back.

Lash respray it BUT make sure you primer it first to seal the surface prior to the Orange....jus in case

Dave

Lash151

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 09:44:24 am »

Thanks for your advice Stavros. I have rubbed it all down and resprayed it! I seem to have fixed it. There is a slight loss in the definition of the rivets... but I can live with that.  Phew... back on track.  :-)
Lee

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 10:56:11 am »

Came out well.    :-))     The rivets look natural.

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Stavros

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 03:09:33 pm »

Looks dammed good and shiny to me  :-)) :-))

Dave

Lash151

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 04:23:32 pm »

Thanks... it actually turned out better than it was before I messed it up  :}
Lee

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 04:48:06 pm »

Glad you got it sorted.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.