Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Kindle Fire  (Read 3891 times)

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
Kindle Fire
« on: November 08, 2012, 03:28:38 pm »

Chaps...this new Kindle Fire...am I right in thinking that it will connect to the internet, and can be used for email, facebook, reading forums, that sort of thing? One last question...can it read .pdf files?

Thanks,

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Kindle Fire
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 03:46:07 pm »

Probably but may also be like the ordinary Kindle 2 friends of mine had, and as reported on watchdog, pack in after 15 months and be told thats the normal life expectancy.
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 04:08:57 pm »

Hmm..not good then. Maybe I'll wait until pension day and get an iPad.

Rich

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 04:13:52 pm »

I got the original Kindle when they first came out.  I read a lot.  Never had any problems with it.

Can't see the point in colour and 'smartphone' tablet features for reading books.
If you need a WiFi 'smartphone' tablet perhaps the iPad might do it better?
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 04:24:18 pm »

you can read pdf's on a standard kindle - I use the windows kindle software on my laptop (plus e-reader, microsoft reader, all to read ebooks in various formats, that and if I need internet while mobile I plug my phone into the laptop and connect through that.
Grendel

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 04:31:44 pm »

I get the impression that its really a tablet that "does" Kindle, with a Kindle badge attached.  If it has .pdf software, or if there is a .pdf reader for it from a third party, it will read that type of file.  If not, it wont.
There are plenty of tablets around at sub-£100 prices with apps to make it be a Kindle reader and to do most of the other tasks that you would expect from a small PC, so I'm just wondering where it really fits in the market.  In the meantime, I'll stick with my netbook. 
Side note - I see that the currency symbol problem is still about - the sign appears OK on the message writing panel, but changes to the unknown thingy symbol when posted.  And just as mysteriously reappears, but as some form of mini-graphic.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 05:09:03 pm »

Chaps...this new Kindle Fire...am I right in thinking that it will connect to the internet, and can be used for email, facebook, reading forums, that sort of thing? One last question...can it read .pdf files?

Thanks,

Rich

Yes, basically it's an Amazon-ised tablet.
Really you need to decide what you want it for, which 'system' you want to be tied to (Apple, Google, Amazon) and then look at tablets in that group.

This is the summary of a PCPro review of the Kindle fire:
Ultimately, though, it’s difficult to recommend. Yes, the price is tempting, and it feels solid. The micro-HDMI port is a bonus too. But performance is disappointing, and it’s hard to enjoy using a device that keeps pushing you towards the things Amazon wants you to do, rather than supporting what you want to do yourself.
If you’re into books and movies, we recommend you wait and see what Barnes & Noble’s new Nook HD – a similarly media-focused tablet, launching next month – has to offer before buying. And if you primarily want to play with apps and browse the web, the Nexus 7 remains the most flexible of the low-cost tablets.

Read more: Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7in review | PC Pro http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/tablets/377224/amazon-kindle-fire-hd-7in/2#ixzz2BeQnKgnF

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 05:18:37 pm »

If you are looking for a tablet, buy a tablet. If you are looking for an eReader buy an eReader! The Fire is neither one nor the other (A relative had one last week which I had to set up) It has a shiny screen, which for reading is not ideal. It has NO expansion - no USB port, no SD Card reader, no HDMI.

Samsung are currently doing cash back on the Tab 2 - I just got a 10.1" version and am very impressed. The 7" is the same size as the Fire and has no Amazon imposed restrictions. The Google Nexus also gets excellent reviews, but I haven't seen it so can't comment, although if the 10" version had been released a month earlier it would have been a serious contender from the specs.

I have a Kindle reader which has given no problems so far.

Barrie

PS I'm and anti-Apple man for my own reasons, but for a plug and play device there's nothing wrong with them except the price ;)

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 05:35:58 pm »

Hmm..ok, I will explain.

During the day I use my desktop or a laptop which is attached to printer/scanner/mouse/etc...this is for running the AMS forum/website etc.

During the evenings I like to sit on the sofa with the tv on, I need something that I can keep an eye on the forum with, chat with the AMS lads on Facebook, and later on, chat to 'er that is in Canada via Gmail chat. I also need to read the odd .pdf document on it.

Unplugging the laptop from everything is a pain in the proverbial, and with my arthritic hands, hanging onto a laptop whilst sat on the sofa is painful, hence the need for a tablet.

So, I'm guessing that a iPad is going to be the thing to buy...maybe an iPad mini even? I do have a sub £150 tablet which is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard, so it needs to be a good one, whatever I buy.

Price...well, around £300 ish.

Rich
Rich

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 05:53:32 pm »

In the last few minutes PCadvisor kindly sent a newsletter which threw up the following links -

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/tablets/3306973/amazon-kindle-fire-review/

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/tablets/3409652/amazon-kindle-fire-hd-review/

There might be some answers in there.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 06:03:21 pm »

Hmm - PC Advisor seems to agree with me O0

If you have £300 or so to spend, then either the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 or the Google Nexus 10 are within you price bracket. The only question would be  - can your hands manage a 10" tablet? You should be able to try the Samsung at PC World if you have one near. The Nexus is out on Tuesday next.

Barrie

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 06:09:23 pm »

PC Advisor doesn't seem to rate the Fire very well, does it?

Barrie, that's a good point...my cheapie tablet is a 10.1" screen size, and does get to be painful to hold after an hour or so...that's why I'm thinking more along the lines of the iPad mini, smaller and lighter.

Rich
Rich

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 06:31:58 pm »

my wife got a kindle, loaded it with about 1500 books, and it slowed down so much that it was virtually unusable, I have a very old hp ipaq (palm sized computer) thats about 10 years old and has about 500 books on it, a large chunk of music, and when I am in a wireless hotspot does internet, email and chat, it doesnt do phone calls, but does everything I need when travelling, plus the batteries will do about 10 hours straight use - more if I am just listening to music with the screen off.
Grendel

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 06:59:53 pm »

If you are going to hold it you need a 7". The 10s need to be rested on a lap or knee for more than slight use. I have a Nexus 7 (using it right now) which is great, esp with the Swype keyboard app.

That's the one downside of a 7 to a 10, it's a bit smaller on the keyboard ; though still a lot better than a smartphone :)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 07:30:56 pm »

Nobody has mentioned an iPad within a folding case (yet). I have hand trouble, but just opening the iPad case and propping it up on my knees is magic. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 08:52:33 pm »

I'm very pleased with my Google Nexus 7, and I'm not very good with IT stuff. (but I could start the log splitter motor, and my IT whizz-ki lad couldn't !!

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 10:14:40 pm »

my wife got a kindle, loaded it with about 1500 books
I got a hard disk that can hold half a million mp3 tracks (according to the blurb).  I might never hear the last of them.
I quite like the Advisor write-ups.  They don't normally do the fawning slavering types that some do who just copy the makers press release.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 12:49:52 am »

I love my new Kindle, but I want it for reading. My wife stole my old kindle. Ereaders are good for reading with the e-ink. Backlit is not so good. The KFire will be harder to read in direct light, but you will be able to see color.

If you want a tablet, buy a proper tablet. Avoid netbooks as they are no longer supported. The other option is one of the super light mobile laptops that start at about 380, but the price is coming down.

A tip that was given to me about computers etc.
If your not tech savvy, buy something that is in it's 3rd+ generation of a technology. Avoid buying new technology as it will have bugs. Technology includes the software.

The other thing I do is buy last years model. You can pay less than half of what it cost a year before. Few of us need the leading edge technology, and we probably won't upgrade for years. Spend the rest of the money on models/beer.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 01:02:50 am »

Excellent advice Tigertiger,
Exactly how I was advised, and I had my last laptop for more than 7 years, used all day, everyday. Same with my tablets.
Looking for new now, with the same philosophy. cheers
vnkiwi
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

surfs up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 07:57:05 am »

I got my kindle fire the day it came out. Very easy to navagate, if you shop on Amazon its great come preloaded with your account and a months free next day delievery, wifi coverage is great. One of the main reason I got it was the HDMI output and preloaded with love film so you can watch films on big screen, its also good for skype built in mic and speakers are very clear. Good battery life too. you also great a 5Gb cloud account also.

Best of all loads of silly game apps and free books.

Surf

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 08:48:12 am »

The other thing I do is buy last years model. You can pay less than half of what it cost a year before. Few of us need the leading edge technology, and we probably won't upgrade for years. Spend the rest of the money on models/beer.

That get my vote for post of the week!     O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 08:50:46 am »

I have the first generation Kindle and it is the best thing I ever bought (almost) as I do read a lot. The new Kindles are a little small for me. I also have an I Pad as I looked at the various options about 6 months ago and the size and ease of use got me.I also have a netbook which I have had for many years. There does not seem to be something that does everything in one place these days (at least for my use) as all these do different things. The Kindle is fantastic for reading. The I Pad is fantastic for internet use, I Player, etc but has no storage and is a faf to have to download things to Cloud or whatever to be able to access them. The netbook stores ALL of my many thousands of photos, all my work files and has a better keyboard.

My partner has been looking at getting a "tablet" and we have discounted the Kindle Fire mainly because it has limitations being so closely tied to Amazon, also it's size is a problem for us oldies! I can see another I Pad on the horizon even though I am not a fan of Apple I have to admit they (almost) got it right and most other companies are playing catch up.

My opinion anyway. :}

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 09:24:41 am »

Gentlemen...thanks very much for all the input, very interesting to read all the different opinions you have.

I think I'll pass on the Kindle Fire and go for the iPad Mini, it seems to be more along the lines of what I need. My cheapie tablet is ok, but it's so slow and limited in what it does and what it can do, but the idea is there.

Thanks again, chaps....much appreciated.

Rich
Rich

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 10:09:35 am »

A sincere request to all ipad users:-

Please don't try to use it as a camera in public... It may have a good camer but it makes you look a right t1t  O0

On our recent visit to London I lost count of the number of people taking pictures with an iPad... They did look rather foolish
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 01:14:55 pm »

Oh dear....Guilty yer honour   :o

Use my I Pad for taking all sorts of pictures as it is so easy to e mail them.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.46 seconds with 22 queries.