Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How Is Deans Marine for email replies  (Read 7497 times)

george

• Full Mayhemer
How Is Deans Marine for email replies
« on: November 10, 2012, 07:22:27 am »

Hello Everyone
 Without too many details. I sent Deans an email on their contact section of their web page after a week nothing, so I resent the same question to them. It`s now about two weeks since I`ve emailed them. Are they in their office? OR do they NOT bother with possible small boat part orders OR do they not wish to deal with Canada?
 Would like to know so as to Not bother with Deans anymore. Then can delete them from my favourite section.
 Thanks for your Help everyone.
 George
P.S  I gave them ALL my detail information including contact information as well as well as what I was looking to buy from them, as detailed as
       I new how to describe.

Stavros

Re: How Is Deans Marine for email replies
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 07:34:55 am »

I will PERSONALLY have a Word with Ron about this TODAY as I will see him at the Int Boat show

Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 08:00:48 am »

I have not experienced any problems with Deans responding to Emails but you need to bear in mind that traders do get deluged with spam, some of which may get screened out automatically depending on the content of the header line and other factors.

Colin

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 11:28:32 am »

George, Ron has been up at the Warwick show all weekend and no doubt preparing for it before that.
so he probably won't have had much opportunity to reply,  personally I have had no problems getting a reply
to an e-mail  from Ron.
Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 12:02:57 pm »

He gave me what I needed via a thread on this forum earlier this week

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 12:25:11 pm »

Our member making the enquiry is from CANADA, and his enquiry is at least two weeks old with no response.

In this day and age I am aware that emails can be received and sent via "mobile phones" ??????????????

That being the case, you wonder why traders who are always on the "go", aren't keeping up to date with answering/receiving emails.

It is the most preferred, if not in the majority of cases, the only way to contact and do business with an overseas company/trader. <:( <:(
Gunna build those other boats one day.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 01:05:56 pm »

I have never had any problems contacting Ron or any of his team, as previously mentioned he is at the Warwick show this weekend and is probably quite busy organising his stand. You also have to understand that he does get a lot of abuse from people who have bought his kits via second hand sources that have parts missing and then demand that he sorts it out. If you include the purchase details that you should have received from him he can trace you and ensure that you are not someone trying to get something for nothing.

Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 01:18:46 pm »

...you need to bear in mind that traders do get deluged with spam, some of which may get screened out automatically depending on the content of the header line and other factors.

Colin

A fair point and well worth remembering, espescially when initially bringing a perceived problem with a reputable business to the attention of other users on any Forum.

However, traders also need to bear in mind that their spam folders may be filtering legitimate orders and/or enquiries. Therefore, if they have opted to use a spam folder (instead of automatic deletion) which is designed as an easily accessible feature, it does need to be checked every few days or so to reduce the possibility of losing potential business and/or customers.

Andy
How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 01:35:02 pm »

I have never had any problems contacting Ron or any of his team, as previously mentioned he is at the Warwick show this weekend and is probably quite busy organising his stand. You also have to understand that he does get a lot of abuse from people who have bought his kits via second hand sources that have parts missing and then demand that he sorts it out. If you include the purchase details that you should have received from him he can trace you and ensure that you are not someone trying to get something for nothing.

The original post is making a point that after two weeks he has not received a reply to either of the two emails he sent to the address shown on the contact page of Deans Marine's website.

I don't understand why the 'reasons' given in your reply are relevant or explain why 'george' has not received a reply to his enquiries.

Andy

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 05:33:19 pm »

Like I said here a couple of weeks ago:
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=40198.0

Neither of those is Dean's Marine by the way,  though both are MBM 'favourites'. The one I ended up phoning has been such a pain I probably won't be using them again.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 08:57:49 pm »

A fair point and well worth remembering, espescially when initially bringing a perceived problem with a reputable business to the attention of other users on any Forum.

However, traders also need to bear in mind that their spam folders may be filtering legitimate orders and/or enquiries. Therefore, if they have opted to use a spam folder (instead of automatic deletion) which is designed as an easily accessible feature, it does need to be checked every few days or so to reduce the possibility of losing potential business and/or customers.

Andy

Agreed. This was given to me as  an excuse by a trader and 'supporters' as is occurring now. >>:-( <*<
That trader still does not answer emails and also attends shows. <:(
After all email contact is part of their business operation. O0 O0

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 09:01:29 pm »

The original post is making a point that after two weeks he has not received a reply to either of the two emails he sent to the address shown on the contact page of Deans Marine's website.

I don't understand why the 'reasons' given in your reply are relevant or explain why 'george' has not received a reply to his enquiries.

Andy

O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 09:14:18 pm »

It's very annoying ...  « on: October 26, 2012, 12:29:03 PM »  

... when traders don't communicate.
Despite our modern high-tech systems - or maybe because of them - making contact can be a real pain.

I recently tried to contact two companies; both give e-mail and phone numbers on their website, but one says e-mail is preferred which is unusual as e-mail is generally considered to be a bit unreliable.

I had a problem with the purchased product from the 'e-mail' one, so I e-mailed them as recommended. After 10 days - nada, so repeated the e-mail. Again, nothing, so then I phoned them and after a few tries made contact - they said they hadn't received any e-mails from me. I assume they got swallowed by a spam filter, but that is not good enough. If you ask customers to use e-mail you need to be absolutely sure your system isn't swallowing legitimate enquiries which means taking charge of and regularly checking your spam.
Following the call I returned the item for checking and nearly a fortnight later I'm still waiting for some response. I guess I'll have to phone them again to find out what's happening.

From the other company I wanted to order some spares and also an 'impulse buy' kit that I noticed on the website while looking to see if spares were listed there. I wanted to speak to them as I didn't even know if they did spares (they weren't listed as far as I could see), so I phoned. I got the voicemail and left a message. 24 hours pass with no reply, so I ring again and get the machine (I didn't bother leaving another message). Another 24 hours and I'm about to go abroad for a week and I quite wanted the bits to be waiting when I returned, so I went to ebay and ordered some suitable stuff to do the job and decided that for the kit I could probably scratch build a version of it from scrap and didn't need it. I spent about �2 in the end - the company lost an order for maybe �20.
But the story doesn't end there. While I was away, and probably 5-6 days after I left the message, the company finally rings back and tells my wife "It's better to e-mail as our phone is always on answer machine." My belief is truly beggared!

Dispatching the right item in good order and in a reasonable time is standard, in fact a legal obligation, so I don't give five stars just for doing that - I put a lot more weight on how companies deal with out-of-the-ordinary issues like those I had (have) here. I'm afraid neither of these have impressed me.

My advice to traders:
1/ If you don't want people to use the phone or e-mail, don't put it on your website.
2/ If you list both but have a preferred channel - say which it is.
3/ In any case make sure you monitor ALL listed channels because if customers don't get a reply they will assume (rightly or wrongly) that you aren't interested in them.   

I too am having problems getting an email reply from a MBM 'favourite'. Had the same problems last time with members ringing and following up etc and finally got what i needed.
Thought they had pulled their socks up going by the commentary, nothing could be further from the truth.
Am now sourcing the items from elsewhere, so much for supporting local industry (UK) >>:-( <*<

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 09:35:52 pm »

I agree it is frustrating and that some traders are not as good as they might be in responding to phone or email enquiries.

However. I have a private landline and a private email address. We no longer answer landline calls as they are invariably cold callers despite us registering to say we do not want these calls. As far as emails ar concerned, for every genuine one I receive I get maybe 25-30 spam ones which are usually filtered out, sometimes including some genuine ones. As a private person I can generally stay on top of all this but I was talking to one of the traders at Warwick today who told me that of the calls on his answering machine and the emails he receives, only a tiny fraction are genuine.

Things are simply getting out of hand and the authorities do nothing.

Colin

Stavros

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 10:35:36 pm »

Resend the info on monday or alternatlivly phone them during the week YESS I do know that you live in Canada

Dave

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 10:58:57 pm »

Resend the info on monday or alternatlivly phone them during the week YESS I do know that you live in Canada

Dave

Come on, that is not an alternative for overseas buyers/enquirers for any number of reasons. Not to mention time zones.
One trader, (who has an impeccable reputation and who I have dealt with on several occasions,) and is no longer a member and now selling his business was always decrying the phone calls received during non business hours. :-)) :-)) :-))
So traders want purchasers to go out of their way to deal with them . They have got to be kidding. <:( <:( <:(
The answer is simple, stop paying lip service and answer emails otherwise don't use email.
As I have stated, I am going elsewhere and it is rubbish to bemoan the lack of support of local industry, when they, the local industry don't perform.

Stavros

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 11:14:35 pm »

:police:  I think the Mayhem POILCE should close this thread straight away

Dave

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 01:09:22 am »

From a commercial perspective, not dealing with customer enquiries effectively will damage your business.But ultimately it is the trader who decides how they will do business. Some will listen to advice, others won't. They are in large part architects of their own level of success.

The big traders and the 'Moms and Pops' have always operated at different levels.

This is not a defence of lesser levels of service. It is just a reminder of how some people want to do what they have always done, and not change. Personally I hate doing business by email, but at this point in history I have to. I don't want a smart phone, but I accept that eventually I will have to, because otherwise I won't be able to communicate with others from a distance in the future.

I am sure that in the past businesses withered because they refused to get a newfangled telephone thingy. But that was their choice. The fed up customers just chose to go elsewhere.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 02:37:23 am »

:police:  I think the Mayhem POILCE should close this thread straight away

Dave

I rather hope this thread isn't censored, at least until after the weekend, so that an 'authorised' spokesperson from Dean's Marine has had the opportunity to speak for themselves, should they so desire.

I would like to think they will be interested to learn of a perceived communications problem a customers may be having, in order that they may investigate the issue (which may even be with their internet provider), and rectify it as necessary.

Andy

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 05:59:47 am »

Dave

Resending the info or phoning isn't really the point though is it, if a company offers an email address as point of contact, it should be used.

:police:   I think the Mayhem POILCE should close this thread straight away

Dave

Why? Apart from the original post, people seem to be going out of their way to NOT name and shame companies who've given bad service?

george

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 06:08:26 am »

Hello Again to All the membership
 Firstly, I did NOT intend to imply anything against Dean`s Marine. I just asked the question. To clarify the email, I was on Dean`s website where I activated the contact function and left them my question about one of their offerings. That was done two times in a two week period roughly. I just wanted to buy some parts from them and maybe a little bit more then the usual parts, if possible. I NEVER bought any kit from Deans, yet, and never had a second hand one with items missing.
 This was a First time attempt to buy some things from Deans and I did not know that they were busy with a show, but does that means No one else answers emails But for one person? If that person was ever sick or God forbit passed away, No email replies???
 I again did not mean anything negative against Deans Marine.
 George from Canada

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
  • I`M YOUR FRIENDLY TRUCKER
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2012, 06:36:47 am »

Find out the "TRUE" facts before slating/having a go(if that`s the word)either party.George has spoken to ron dean on the phone(mobile) from canada and wanted to know why a parcel cannot be sent by rd to canada as it would be cheaper !(atlantic ocean,approx 3000 miles).So please before having a go/slating people find out the true facts.baloo

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2012, 09:05:51 am »

I tell you what, you PM me your phone number and I'll call you every night for the rest of this year at times varying between 10pm and 4am, and we'll see how you like it shall we?

Certainly, I could but before I do that, but you may want to reconsider your comment.

You omitted part of my quote namely the thumbs up icons,  :-)) :-)) :-)) which indicate I agree with the decrying of phone calls etc. In other words I agree with the trader complaining about, don't ring me outside business of hours.
Hence my disagreeing with the suggestion to ring and emphasising that emails are an essential means of communication for overseas customers and not telephones. I also mentined the time zone differences which you refer.
Obviously, I did not word my comment correctly otherwise you would not have come to your conclusion.
In closing I use email not telephones so you are safe from me.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2012, 10:38:24 am »

I think that TT is correct in saying that a minority of businesses conduct themselves entirely to their own satisfaction. In other cases it can be a question of balancing the demands of a a home based model boating business with the day job which can put a lot of strain on both. Shows put an additional stress on small family businesses, especially if there are several in close succession and this can affect response times while at the same time stoking up extra business. I know of one case where the proprietor is dyslexic and very reluctant to respond to emails yet he still maintains the address plus an automated ordering system.

It can be very frustrating for the customer sometimes, I agree. Not sure what the answer is really.

Colin

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2012, 10:52:37 am »

:police:  I think the Mayhem POLICE should close this thread straight away

Dave

I have just returned from one of the best Boat shows of the year and find all of the above.

What do I do ?

How can it escalate to this level ?

It doesn't make good reading for our Home bound members

It goes without saying that we are not here to pillary Traders who rely on us for their lively-hood.   All we ask is to put yourself into their position and behave respectfully towards them.

We shall not be closing the thread yet as it will allow the members time to read all of the above and digest the contents.

However -------- Further outbursts of a legal nature will be removed without comment.

Regards

The Mayhem team

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.