Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Welcome to the "Real" ships section!  (Read 21120 times)

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Welcome to the "Real" ships section!
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2007, 12:16:35 pm »

Some more.

LB

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2007, 12:32:05 pm »

Liverbudgie

It is nice to see working boats that look like they do some work  :D :D
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2007, 01:48:02 pm »

Some working boats in Illfracombe Oct 2006

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2007, 03:38:40 pm »

Thanks Davey for pointing out my error........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

chingdevil

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2007, 04:49:29 pm »

Called Bareki,. the last timber tug still in us in Australia. Part of the Australian Heritage Fleet.

The other Brian

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2007, 05:35:55 pm »

Just being on board a ship with 5,999 other passengers would be enough to put me off!

Incidentally, during the recent Sea Diamond emergency it apparently took 3 hours to evacuate the passengers which was in part due to the list as Bryan mentions. Obligingly, the ship remained afloat long enough to allow this to be done. These big cruise ships are essentially fair weather vessels which rely on forecasting to avoid storms. When they do get caught out they don't take the weather well judging by some of the clips I have seen. Too shallow draught and too high sided. The Berlitz Cruising Guide makes the point that older, deeper draught "traditional" ships are more sea kindly.
5,999? I presume you meant me to be the 6.000th?
Notes from a simple seaman

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2007, 05:47:37 pm »

Taken in Sydney Harbour Nov 2005, I was told it was delivering Toyota Cars.

The other Brian
A pal of mine was Captain of one of the large car transporter ships. He says he was never so lonely in his life. Only the CH.Engineer spoke English and half of the crew could'nt understand the other half. He had a nervous breakdown. And the money was'nt all that great either...nor was the non-existent (but promised) pension. At least the RFA delivered "the goods"!

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2007, 06:19:23 pm »

Actually the only vessel to come anywhere near the 6000 mark is the new Genesis class of passenger vessels currently due out in 2009 from RCI.

A more normal figure at the moment is around 3000.  We have a total of 3600 crew and passengers.

As I mentioned on the thread regarding the Sea Diamond ships nowadays are inherently designed to float with two of thier vertical watertight compartments flooded but should they sink they are designed to sink in a vertical attitude.  Why the Sea Diamond was listing so much I cannot even imagine but this concept has been designed into liners and passenger vessels since the Titanic where one of the big problems was that they couldn't fill the few boats they had because on one side they were sat against the hull and wouldn't drop and on the other side they were too far away from the ship.

Just to also try to get the numbers into context.  No matter what the situation may be involving passengers or the public in any emergency the biggest loss of life will be as a result of panic.  That can be on a London Bus, The Mersey Ferry or a transatlantic liner. 

How many of you use supermarkets, theatres, cinema's or even a shopping mall?  Who works in a large office building, uses the subway or even a train?  In any of those situations no amount of fire regs or the training of the attending staff will prevent panic and the subsequent loss of life. 

I can assure you that per head of passengers there are an infinately greater number of trained crew to at least try to deal with the situation than you will find in any of the situations mentioned above.

It's very easy to judge based on one incident but ships, companies and crews are as varied as everything else is in life. 

Also remember that it is only the emergencies that go wrong that are reported.  You don't hear about the emergency situations on ships that were successfully dealt with do you?
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2007, 07:45:22 pm »

Great...but does it matter that I do not beieve you?  Supermarkets have car parks. Ships have an awfull lot of water around them. (You are never more than 2 miles from land).

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2007, 09:10:11 pm »

Actually the only vessel to come anywhere near the 6000 mark is the new Genesis class of passenger vessels currently due out in 2009 from RCI.

A more normal figure at the moment is around 3000.  We have a total of 3600 crew and passengers.

As I mentioned on the thread regarding the Sea Diamond ships nowadays are inherently designed to float with two of thier vertical watertight compartments flooded but should they sink they are designed to sink in a vertical attitude.  Why the Sea Diamond was listing so much I cannot even imagine but this concept has been designed into liners and passenger vessels since the Titanic where one of the big problems was that they couldn't fill the few boats they had because on one side they were sat against the hull and wouldn't drop and on the other side they were too far away from the ship.

Just to also try to get the numbers into context.  No matter what the situation may be involving passengers or the public in any emergency the biggest loss of life will be as a result of panic.  That can be on a London Bus, The Mersey Ferry or a transatlantic liner. 

How many of you use supermarkets, theatres, cinema's or even a shopping mall?  Who works in a large office building, uses the subway or even a train?  In any of those situations no amount of fire regs or the training of the attending staff will prevent panic and the subsequent loss of life. 

I can assure you that per head of passengers there are an infinately greater number of trained crew to at least try to deal with the situation than you will find in any of the situations mentioned above.

It's very easy to judge based on one incident but ships, companies and crews are as varied as everything else is in life. 

Also remember that it is only the emergencies that go wrong that are reported.  You don't hear about the emergency situations on ships that were successfully dealt with do you?
Great...but does it matter that I do not beieve you?  Supermarkets have car parks. Ships have an awfull lot of water around them. (You are never more than 2 miles from land).

I'm not quite sure what there is to believe or otherwise.  I simply stated a few facts and put forward another point of view. It doesn't take any believing.

As for supermarkets the whole point is getting to the car parks and our longest passage is 260 NM, although the relevence of that completely escapes me.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

big-geoff

• Full Mayhemer
  • Whats that button for?
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2007, 09:13:08 pm »

A few years ago I was working In Chichester, One day the local Sainsburys went up in smoke the heat melted the carpark... it was lucky that there were not too many in the store at the time, even with the smoke and flame some customers wanted to keep on shopping you cant belive what reaction you get from some.

My point is I would rather be involved in an incident at sea than have my life in the hands of a achned youth who dosent give a dam earning minimum wage.

Big Geoff

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2007, 09:45:50 pm »

A few years ago I was working In Chichester, One day the local Sainsburys went up in smoke the heat melted the carpark... it was lucky that there were not too many in the store at the time, even with the smoke and flame some customers wanted to keep on shopping you cant belive what reaction you get from some.

My point is I would rather be involved in an incident at sea than have my life in the hands of a achned youth who dosent give a dam earning minimum wage.

Big Geoff

That was pretty much my point Geoff but don't mention that to Bryan, he won't believe you!!!  ;)

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2007, 06:02:27 pm »

Nice to look at - not too sure about working on one !!

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2007, 06:35:59 pm »

T.S. Royalist leaving Cowes Yacht Haven, March 2007

Captain Anonymous

« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2007, 06:07:56 pm »

Taken this afternoon at Ellesmere Port

Captain Anonymous

« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2007, 06:09:22 pm »

Captain Anonymous

« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2007, 06:10:15 pm »

Captain Anonymous

« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2007, 06:11:15 pm »

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2007, 11:13:03 pm »

This thread now has so many pictures it takes forever to load, even on my relatively fast broadband connection. Can we start a new one, please?

Rick

Bob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2007, 11:48:53 am »

Some more for looking. Cromarty Firth.
Bob

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2007, 08:55:49 pm »

Three from the Tyne, taken this afternoon, a rare sight on the River these days lads

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2007, 10:36:35 pm »

heres a few pics i took tuesday morn of SAGA RUBY. EX VISTAFJORD  entering the river tyne for the first time since she was launched back in 1973, and still has the lines of a real cruiseliner, not these 10 storey high block of flats on water.    brian_c

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2007, 10:39:58 pm »

saga ruby

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2007, 07:45:34 am »

Brian_c,

Now thats what a cruise ship should look like, not a multi storey carpark....... ;D ;D

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2007, 08:04:14 pm »

Ships seen in Lyme Bay and The Solent today:
HMS Mersey looking closlely at drifting yachts in Lyme Bay
Gipsy Moth IV arriving in Cowes
Largs Bay off Gilkicker
Illustrious at rest

Holmsey
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.