Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Welcome to the "Real" ships section!  (Read 21112 times)

PSSHIPS

Re: Welcome to the "Real" ships section!
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2007, 08:09:14 pm »

Flippin eck Dave, you were lucky to see some RN vessels stil operational, you sure they still belong to the RN? Or have they been sold yet? >:( ;D

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2007, 07:12:53 pm »

Some more RN ships, HMS Cornwall from about 15 feet.

Bloody noisy when your berthed next to her for 2 nights!

Rubbin is Racin!

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2007, 07:41:13 pm »

Flippin eck Dave, you were lucky to see some RN vessels stil operational, you sure they still belong to the RN? Or have they been sold yet? >:( ;D
Paul
There are 3 sad looking Type 42s off The Hardway and Fearless and Intrepid are still moored off Priddys Hard. Mersey looked good in Lyme Bay as she stalked around us in the dawn light.

Holmsey

spoons

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2007, 12:56:38 am »

That is a great picture of the mersey mate (another one of my old ships).Could make a nice picture to hang on the stairs or the toilet as that is the only place im allowed navy stuff.
Stu

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2007, 08:07:24 pm »

MGB 81 off Lymington this afternoon:

mogsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2007, 08:49:09 pm »

Ah,,, that looks like the very boot that I caught a glimpse of during ch5's programme about PT Boats last eves. No tape available and couldnt watch as I was attempting to wrestle the rugrats into bed at a timely hour in a futile attempt to impress Mrs Mogsy at her homcoming. Wish I'd kept them up to watch tales of daring do now.

Did anyone view this (what would seem like a) televisual feast of Naval speed ????

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2007, 06:43:37 pm »

Sunning ourselves in Osborne Bay near Cowes yesterday when this went past, we had a grandstand view.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2007, 07:14:29 pm »

Colin that is a georgious view
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2007, 07:22:47 pm »

Beautiful ship! I took quite a few pics but it was quite difficult as we were bobbing up and down and I was perched on the front of the boat hanging on for dear life. Here's a couple more:

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2007, 10:06:57 pm »

from an era when cruise ships looked like cruise ships, styled by ship designers, and didnt look like floating housing estates

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2007, 10:29:49 pm »

Beg to differ. They arent cruise ships they are liners. Dont make them anymore. :(
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2007, 11:18:58 pm »

If we want to be really pedantic I can assure you the QE2 is officially registered as a Cruise Liner so the real Liners in effect have already long gone.

Like it or not, and I'm one of the ones who don't, the QM2 is also officially registered as a Cruise Liner. 

If you compare the hulls of the two there may be a significant argument for considering otherwise but the class of ship is still being built.  I would be the first to admit though that a hull of the shape of the QE2 will never be built again.  No one could afford either the luxury of the fine hull form costing you revenue generating space or the thickness of the plate which has helped her to survive for nearly fourty years.

Lovely shots Colin, get them while you can.  I have been toying with the thought of one last trip on her but I'm sure it would only end up being depressing!!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2007, 09:12:45 am »

Watching her go by, she gave off an impression of gracefulness and power that modern cruise ships just can't match. (Makes 'em all look like RTRs!  ;))

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2007, 10:10:25 am »

It's also interesting to note that her engines are twice the size of a lot of ships many times bigger than her.  This makes running her very expensive but nothing can come close to her for speed. 

In the older days of the 5 day transatlantic crossings, when she cleared the Isle of Wight and the old man pushed her up it was just like accellerating in your car.  The 9 MAN engines would all, one at a time, automaticaly start up, parallel and go on the board and share the load while the 45 MW main motors slowly build up speed and start to push that superb bow through the Atlantic faster and faster.  An amazing experience.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2007, 05:51:26 pm »

she's been decommissioned now by cunard, and is in dubai i think now, probably a floating hotel like her grandmother is in SF

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2007, 06:14:56 pm »

she's been decommissioned now by cunard, and is in dubai i think now, probably a floating hotel like her grandmother is in SF

??? ??? ??? Well I saw her on Tuesday afternoon heading out on a cruise to the Western Med which is when I took the pictures. She's not due to go to Dubai until October 2008. As far as the original Queen Mary is concerned, she's still moored as a floating hotel in Long Beach, California where I stayed on her in 2001 - not SF!

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2007, 06:15:43 am »

Some photos I took on a trip to Newcastle NSW, at the mouth of the Hunter River. It's a big coal exporting port, and often has over 60 bulk carriers anchored off shore waiting for a berth. Occasionally one ends up on the beach, as did the Pasha Bulker recently.
Peter.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2007, 12:50:42 pm »

A few of many I took at Portsmouth on Monday. The RN frigate is HMS Kent which put to sea just after I got to Gosport.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2007, 01:40:02 pm »

A few of many I took at Portsmouth on Monday. The RN frigate is HMS Kent which put to sea just after I got to Gosport.

Nothing you did I hope Colin ;)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2007, 01:42:54 pm »

No Richard, they were just awaiting my arrival before casting off.

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2007, 07:10:07 pm »

Cracking pix, Colin.

I once heard a question on a radio programme about the distance the QE2 could travel on one gallon of fuel.  Six feet, no less!!

You've just reminded me of a holiday on the Isle of Wight in the early fifties.  It was magical to see liners like the United States, France, and the Queen Mary coming up the Solent.  I was on the GTS Tanker Auris in 1958/9 when she re-engined at Cammell Laird's and did her trials on the South coast.  I climbed up one of the giant cranes at the opposite side of the berth to the Queen Mary where we were tied up and lost my nerve.  The view of the Queen was beautiful from the jib with all deck lights on but I sat up there half the night too scared to climb down. Ah, sweet bird of youth.  Thanks for the reminder, Colin.     

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2007, 10:19:00 pm »

You're welcome Kiteman1. My Dad used to take me down to Southampton in the early 60s when I was still at school. You could get a pass to view the Queens if they were in dock but once you were through the gate you could go anywhere. I saw all the great ships of the day including the ones you mentioned plus Andes, Caronia, Olympia and many more. And because we usually went down on a Thursday, (Dad gave me a sickie from school and there was a weekly steam hauled service from Surbiton), we'd finish the day by watching a Union Castle liner sail for the Cape at 4pm.

If you are still in that area, have you seen the wonderful model of the docks which is on shop in Southampton maritime Museum and depicts their heyday in the 1930s?

Colin

Captain Povey

« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2007, 10:29:22 pm »

Aircraft carrier

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2007, 08:52:18 am »

If you are still in that area, have you seen the wonderful model of the docks which is on shop in Southampton maritime Museum and depicts their heyday in the 1930s?

Colin
You're right Colin, well worth a visit. O0

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2007, 08:04:09 pm »

To answer your question, Colin, I haven't been to the Southampton area for over forty years.  I now live in the Midlands about smack in the centre of the country.  Unfortunately the better half regards boats as naff, but every time I see a merchant ship I get the urge again.  You can never get the sea out of your blood once bitten.......... :'( :'(
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.