Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pictures of New Revell Corvette at Telford  (Read 3893 times)

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
Pictures of New Revell Corvette at Telford
« on: November 10, 2012, 08:08:51 pm »

Spotted at Telford IPMS Show today

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Pictures of New Revell Corvette at Telford
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 12:40:44 pm »

As someone who is only vaguely familiar with the old Corvette can you spot, in these photos, any notable changes?

Looks like they have included a brass barrel for the main gun but that's as far as I can tell.
~Harq

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 01:44:19 pm »

Looks like the smaller guns are also brass,handrails flagpole perhaps.

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 02:11:39 pm »

There was one of these nestling in my stocking from Santa.  Basically there is a premium additional pack shoved into the original kit.  The additional pack consists of brass gun barrels for the oerlikons 2 pounder and 4 inch.  There is a full brass etching sheet with numrous brass etchings parts with extra detail to replace or enhance the original plastic parts including gun shields for the main 4 inch and the 2 pounder, oerlikon sights and breech mechanisms, porthole rigols, brass main mast top and yard, brass derricks for the after end of the engine casing  brass etch stanchions for all of the ship and quite a few bits more of useful brass with finer detail than the existing plastic parts.  For example overlays for the engine casing skylights.  There is also a stick on very thin veneer deck overlay for the focsle, quarter deck, main deck and bridge floor.  There is also a new set of decals which loses the decals for USS Saucy but replaces it with Decals for HMS Campanula which was Nicholas Monserrats ship.  The Campanula decals include the funnel emblem.  Other than than it is the original kit with bluebell name plate still included. 

If anyone wants to see a pic of the extra detail sheets let me know and I will take a couple of pics and post them.
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 09:34:35 am »

It's looks like a big step forward but I can still see areas which would stand improvement.  The photoetch looks good but the smaller weapons (twin lewis guns) are still catoonish.  The railings and such pick the model up no end.  My only concern is that there seems to be to much planking.  The Conway's Anatomy on HMS Agassiz shows just the forward foc'sle and a small patch back by the D/C throwers.  This said the corvettes were built in numbers and by different shipyards so there may have been variation in the amount of wood planking on individual ships.  The other concern is that the laser cut decks fit down onto the kit part which may still need to have the moulded planking removed which is a pig of a job.
For those that would like to convert to the minesweeping corvette board member "Niall" has done some lovely P/E parts for the winches.  Check it out!
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 04:11:51 pm »

All of the long focsle flower class only had a planked area from the anchor winch to the centre of the gun tub and 2 small areas either side of the aft end of the deckhouse aft of the depth charge throwers. Minesweepers also had 1 or 2 areas(depending on which type of winch was fitted) between the end of the deckhouse and the minesweeping winch.

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 07:38:11 pm »

I only intend to use the focsle planking and there will be a few bits of the photo etching that I wont use.  Some clearly adds a lot of welcome detail but other bits arent really necessary from a personal perspective.
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 02:47:33 pm »

I thought the addition of planking detail on the Revell Flower Class was anachronistic; they were constructed with steel decks for the most part, no?
~Harq

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 03:59:20 pm »

I'm afraid we've done Revell an injustice. I've just seen some more pics on another site and the laser cut decks actually have planking where it should have planking and retangular plating to represent the steel decks.  In fact they look PDG!  The kit gunshields are replaced with etch in either nickel silver or aluminium.  All in all a big step up! Replace the chorus line figures with Gunthwaite and the depth charges with resin aftermarkets and you'd have a great model.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 05:14:47 pm »

I think that will have to go on my "one day" list, its rather nice
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 10:20:08 pm »

I picked one up this afternoon .............. been promising myself another one for a long time ( the first one was back in 1985 !)

yes its nice, as yet unsure on the decking as the sticky backed plastic that holds it down seems a bit thick(getting it stuck in the right place first time as well ?) But its a miracle of CNC cutting and marking. The railings are perhaps a bit fragile for use every sunday morning. There seems to be a lot of filling needed where plastic stanchions would fill a premade hole but etched fittings will not. I think it would make a good model better by a long way though.

This is only my opinion, and what do i know.
in my own little world
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.