Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Do we think communications technology has made a rod for our own backs?  (Read 10615 times)

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Do we think communications technology has made a rod for our own backs?
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 05:08:30 am »

Totally agree
vnkiwi
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 06:20:06 am »

In answer to the original question.

YES.

The line between work and home has been irreparably eroded. Especially with smart phones, work email comes to your dinner table.

Global communications means many people work across time zones and the expectation, if you work with information, is you work longer hours and a prompt (within hours) reply is expected by someone at the other end of the world.

People want answers 'NOW', because that is the modern expectation. This make it harder to prioritize.

IT and CT make it possible for us to process more information/data in a day. Our work-life has more simultaneous deadlines leading to increased stress.

People expect you to drop everything for them. They always have done, but now they can get to you more easily. And more people can get to you in the same amount of time.

If work gives you a phone, they expect it to be left on. You can't just unplug it.

Also mobile phones seem to have an expectancy to be answered, people don't ignore them (like landlines were ignored).

However, I also see that we cannot turn the clock back. {:-{

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 06:39:33 am »

Technology has its place, always has & always will, but modern technology has gone beyond stupid to the realm of ridiculous & is abused to a degree never seen in human history.

Mick, I tend to agree with your point about many aspects of modern Communications, but didn't a similar thing happen with the advent of electricity? Look at some of the ridiculous uses that was first put to when it was first discovered, hailed as everything from a cure all from every ailment known to man to circus entertainment.

Things will settle down but I suppose we often need to explore every avenue and path that a discovery leads us down, before finding out what it's really good at....
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2012, 10:23:06 am »

Well I now work part time from home, my work computer is in a small room along with others in the office, to access it I use a program called logmein which connects my home computer with the work one and allows me to work using the companies computers licences etc but from home (keeps the premium office space to a minimum too) so far I have only had to visit the actual office about once every couple of months.
The downside is that I am on a zero hours contract, they only pay me for the hours I work (its a bit like being a consultant) so if they have no work for me I dont get paid (which if a company is struggling is a bonus for them).
its not so much fun when they dont have work for me, but with the small work pension I get I only need to get about 20 hours work a month to break even and pay the bills (my previous company made me redundant and paid off my mortgage, the pension paid out at age 52 because they had made me redundant).
So the IT technology has freed me from the daily grind of driving to work, and gives me more time to spend with my family, I do see that working from home is going to become more prevalent and give people more time to spend with family (and of course time to make models).
Grendel

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2012, 10:47:50 am »

There is a deep down downside.  Since the pocket calculator became a common item, we have had a couple of generations who are unable to function without an electric adding machine.  The brains have become lazy.  Ever watched a checkout flounder when the power went down?
The internet is a great source of information, but it does mean that a great many people now no longer have a need to actually remember anything.
We, as a race, have become addicted to sensation rather than substance, and the worship of ability to amuse rather that create.  We are getting into the habit of being told what to think "because somebody famous for being famous" tells us what to think.  With the aid of modern technology, we are lying in a very comfortable rut, just what we are going to do when whatever made that rut comes back down the road, who knows?  Sometimes I feel that with time, we are painting ourselves into a corner.
Philosophy should not be attempted on a gloomy Monday morning.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2012, 11:05:21 am »

"Do we think communications technology has made a rod for our own backs? " In answer, yes.....and no.

These are just tools to be used, not something that is to be allowed to take over our lives. You make of them what you want, you get out of them what you want, you use them.

The negative side is that some younger generations (not all youing people I hasten to add) seem to think these tools are an inseperable part of their lives and that is sad.

In relation to model boats, the amount of usefull information available online, in places like this forum, is invaluable in it's ease of use.

How many of you still do the crossword without having "Google" handy?  %%

wizard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2012, 11:19:55 am »

Having retired a couple of years ago one of the best things I have ever done was throw away my mobile phone.
The sense of freedom regained at not being at anyones beck and call 24/7 is fantastic.
It has been two years now and I don't regret it one bit.
On the other hand belonging to a popular forum like Mayhem is a two edged sword. I love the fact that I can benefit from so many modelers experiences but it takes hours just to read todays posts.
Technology, I love it and hate it.

Wizard
we never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2012, 11:56:30 am »

How many of you still do the crossword without having "Google" handy?  %%

Yep... the wife gets annoyed if I take the laptop in the lav with me  {-)
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2012, 12:58:34 pm »

I feel using Google or other reference for a crossword defeats the object, which is to exercise my brain. When (or more likely if) I finish it I like to feel that I did it rather than having 'cheated'. A bit like modelling in fact :)

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2012, 01:50:56 pm »

I agree, using technology to help with crosswords etc does defeat the object. However there are times (like yesterday!) when I have done all I can on a crossword and really really need to know the answer to something cos it's bugging me, then out comes the technology! In that respect it is good because I am learning something I did not know.

As I said it's a tool that you use when required. Just like phones. We were all issued with I Phones a year or so ago and I refused to have one on the grounds that I already had a phone that worked enough to talk to people and I did not want all the other "options". I still have the I Phone in my drawer, unused.....

As a point of interest I do not have broadband at home, nor Sky. Does that make me a Luddite?

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2012, 02:40:58 pm »

As a point of interest I do not have broadband at home, nor Sky. Does that make me a Luddite?

Not as such. It depends on your reasons for not having them, e.g.from Wikipedia:
In modern usage, "Luddite" is a term describing those opposed to industrialisation, automation, computerisation or new technologies in general.
I think the important word is "opposed" rather than, say, ambivalent.

furball

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2012, 03:21:39 pm »

nor Sky. Does that make me a Luddite?

You must have some new digital technology, otherwise you wouldn't be watching any broadcast TV now.

So, no, you're not a luddite (unless you don't watch the TV at all. of course).

Lance

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2012, 04:19:40 pm »

You are of course correct. If I was I would not be on this forum.  {:-{

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2012, 11:33:43 am »

I guess the older methods had drawbacks too
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20456782
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 08:23:26 pm »

The Internet has made researching a project on the other side of the world possible. But it is the people it brought me into contact with that made the experience rich and enjoyable. Our greatest resource is people and not 'search'. How many times have we been defeated using technology only to have the answer provided by a member. On the whole technology is good.

On the other hand my employer insisted I have an iPhone and now emails etc spew forth at all hours. Voicemails are left and people have expectancies based on messages they left hours before I ever picked them up.

Dave

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2012, 08:33:38 pm »

I find iphones have off buttons, and batteries that go flat very quickly.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2012, 08:56:20 pm »

Very true - but then you are not believed or considered awkward.
Dave

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2012, 09:06:51 pm »

tapetty, tappety, tap, send. Done my bit, not my problem any more and I didn't have to speak to anyone. That's how I see how technology has reduced communication.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2012, 09:29:41 pm »

On the other hand my employer insisted I have an iPhone and now emails etc spew forth at all hours. Voicemails are left and people have expectancies based on messages they left hours before I ever picked them up.

Our company was bought over by a company based in India....the IT department were told to give us new blackberry phones that are set so when they recieved an email they would switch themselves on and alert you, then the HR team in india was told to call all the UK employees after 6 months to ensure they had a nice transition during THEIR normal working hours they called us all in the wee hours of the morning....... >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(  I perhaps should apologies for my words that morning :embarrassed:

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2012, 09:34:47 pm »

Very true - but then you are not believed or considered awkward.
Dave

They can think what they like. When I am at work and being paid, they can contact me. Outside of hours, unless it's a dire emergency, I've got a right to be left in peace. Technology isn't the problem, people's (ab)use of it is.

Grumpy Dave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2012, 09:49:16 pm »

Yes and no.  When I went to school it was long before calculators, I loathed maths, I was rubbish. I didn't know it was probably due to dislexia (in those days spelt T H I C K). I was good at working out problems though. In my 20's I got a calculator. now I can do complicated things, I also used to use Excell writing my own spreadsheets. Most of us use power tools and not the hand tools we used as youngsters. Who boils glue now? Why use a hand screwdriver when the battery one is quicker and with a lot of screws a lot less boring? Learn to switch off the phone at mealtimes and dont take it to the pub. OK I'll shut up now and get of my hobby horse.
P.S Gignyer, Try ringing them up at their awkward times or just leave it in the car/garage etc out of hours.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2012, 10:28:33 pm »

New fangled technology !    How on earth did people manage to learn how to build model boats before Model Boat Mayhem, AND the means to beam up this indispensable research and teaching resource straight into our workshops?

When I was likkle I remember milk delivered by horse drawn carts.  Ultimately we were allowed slide rules in school sixth forms, I learned to program a Tandy TRS80 in BASIC and Assembler, and was gratefully able to forget how to do long division of Pounds Shillings and Pence.

We used to DREAM of living in a corridor: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo  (Four Yorkshiremen - Monty Python)
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2012, 01:04:48 pm »

Wandering past the link above into the "other links" bit (funniest QI punchline), I found this lurking way down in the comments -
"Well, people who use their brain for more then choosing which TV show to watch or cereal to eat in the morning usually are in a very select minority."
Our reliance on modern technology takes us down that path.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy using it, but it is a comfortable rut.  I do sometimes wonder how these highly independent rugged backwoodsmen would actually fare if their supply of petrol and ammunition was cut off, since both rely totally on the backup of a very industrialsed society.

"the wife gets annoyed if I take the laptop in the lav with me "
You could ruin the laptop like that.  Use the paper.  And make sure the webcam is turned off.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2012, 04:25:17 pm »

Hey Malcolm
I am a firm believer in reducing things to their core element and working from there. That quote of yours can be reduced to my life ........
"the wife gets annoyed if I"  <:(

Dave

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2012, 04:56:21 pm »

A laptop to wipe your derriere?

That's got to be worse than Izal!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.