Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: scrap the tv licence fee ?.  (Read 8647 times)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
Re: scrap the tv licence fee ?.
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 04:33:08 am »

You have not lived until you watch TV in North America, we get at least 20/25 minutes of very stupid ads every hour that are an insult to our intelligence but even those are better than the so called shows. The best shows come from Europe, the BBC being the best & also some from Japan made by their public broadcaster HNK. US public TV is also good ( they air a lot of BBC shows)I guess that is why Romney promised to cut their funding if elected ( they tend to tell the truth about politics). We have CBC in Canada & our Right Wing government has cut it's funding by 10%, they are trying to squeeze the life out of it. You should watch Fox News( very loose term ) then you will understand why you need to protect the BBC. You must understand that BBC can't be all things to all people & you do not realise how good it is until you have to watch the trash we are presented with every day & it costs about $100.00 per month on top of that.So be happy to pay for the best broadcaster on the planet & quit complaining. Mick B.   
Mick B.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 05:59:12 am »

If the Beeb had to support itself, it would descend to the lowest common denominator. We would lose many of the programmes that have a small audience. Some of these shows are good, others are pants, but some are truly great. But if commercial success were the main measure of success we would have more shows like 'I'm a karaoke star, get me some Wheto Beer or get me out of here'.

I believe the licence fee is at least ring-fenced for the Beeb, unlike the road tax that gets swallowed up into the big pot. I also doubt that getting rid of road tax, as someone else suggested (and perhaps the licence fee), would in anyway reduce the overall tax burden for Joe and Mrs Soap. There will just be a corresponding increase in other stealth taxes.

Personally, I think the BBC has made a monumental fluff up over recent revelations  But don't let Murdoch distract you from the general amount of value the BBC adds to our lives.
PS I also hated paying the license fee (did again last year BTW) but at 50p per day, not bad value IMHO.

My 2 cents
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 08:57:22 am »

Go to advertising supported television?
Have you ever tried to watch Amercan Television?
There is almost no content to it anymore. Just advertising.
And even within the content, there is "product placement".
It's gotten to the point that the advertising is so prominent that I will walk away from
the television to do some ship modeling. Then, ideally, I would return to continue watching the show.

However, I so enjoy ship modeling, that I typically find that I will miss 10 minutes of show and
return just in time to see more advertising. I will usually shut off the television and just build models.
The other awful condition of American Television, is that upon return from commercial break, there
will be a full minute of "review" of what just happened before the advertisments...  >:-o

And News programs,... might as well call them "Drug advertisments".
For every two minutes of news, there will be at least five minutes of prescription advertising.
Do you love your partner take drugs... Can't sleep? Take drugs... Upset stomach?
Don't change your diet ... Take Drugs... Want to stop smoking? There's a drug for that...
Are you depressed? Drug for that too. Oh, and Ask your doctor about eye drops?
Do you suffer dry mouth? Don't drink water, we have chemicals for solve dry mouth...
Just not worth turning on the television at all any more in United States.

{:-{

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2012, 09:02:15 am »

How about PBS Umi, I sent in a small donation and was quite happy with the content, admittedly  some was a bit "heavy".    This was in the 70s.
..well can you land on this?

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2012, 09:05:41 am »

How about PBS Umi, I sent in a small donation and was quite happy with the content, admittedly  some was a bit "heavy".    This was in the 70s.

We get BBC television programs on PBS... LoL

%)

hopeitfloats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2012, 10:11:34 am »

believe me you are better off paying a license fee. we dont and the quality of programmes have gone way down and the advertising has gone way up. lucky to get more than 5  or 6 minutes without a break now.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2012, 10:32:35 am »

January 2013 sees the end of "TV Licensing" in Finland, will be interesting to see how things change.... not much I'm thinking as probably 80-90% of the TV shows are imported.
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

gof

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2012, 12:00:48 pm »

You could always move'Down Under' No TV licence fees here.  %%
The programmes are just as bad though!  <:(

or move to the western side of DOWN UNDER no TV license or any tolls to pay :):)
as one of my sargents use to say the only stupid question is the one that you don't ask

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2012, 03:50:03 pm »

Thank you Umi, you summed up USA T/V better than I ever could. They wonder why they have a drug problem & like Umi says it is continuous ads on the T/V 24/7 for drugs that can fix anything & I mean anything, there are even drugstores inside most grocery stores, never mind the increasing number of shopping channels. Arrow 5, yes PBS is still very good programing, a lot of it is BBC based so what does that tell you, I donate too, Romney would have withdrawn their Government support if he had been elected, & said so quite openly.The chances of seeing any programs on our hobby or the  RNLI or anything of that nature is slim to none. My advice to you guys is take good care of the BBC, you will never miss the water until the well runs dry,as my grandmother always said, Mick B.
Mick B.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2012, 03:57:58 pm »

Ah Mitt Romney... heard a good quote about him the other day "The wheel is spinning but the Hamsters dead"
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2012, 05:47:53 pm »

If the BBC was made commercial, existing commercial stations would have no yardstick to be measured against as regards quality.  The rule of the lowest possible common denominator would apply.  I suspect that guided by Murdoch that will be a great deal lower than anybody thinks.
I well remember when ITV first started - it was like a breath of fresh air compared to the establishment approved fare of the BBC.  But it really didn't take long for the breath to morph into a  draft, and sitting in a draft is rarely pleasant.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2012, 08:01:00 pm »

Well I wish I had a job where after 54 days I could quit and be given £ 450,000 for doing so    <*< <*< <*<   And even his contract of an agreed £ 225,000 if he left would not be so bad..Only 3092 peoples payments wasted..

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2012, 09:47:07 pm »

You have not lived until you watch TV in North America, we get at least 20/25 minutes of very stupid ads every hour that are an insult to our intelligence but even those are better than the so called shows. The best shows come from Europe, the BBC being the bes

You could be talking about Australian TV Mick. We have not had a licence fee for decades, but we also have about 20 minutes or more of ads every hour >>:-( At times I feel like complaining to the commercial channels, something along the lines of "I was watching some interesting ads, and you kept interrupting them with a TV show" %%  Despite the large amount of TV advertising bombarding us, all 3 of our commercial networks have financial troubles {:-{

Peter.

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2012, 10:39:32 pm »

In reality, the BBC could use it's huge global outreach to bid for the highest program sponsors, so instead of having 5-10mins of BBC own-programme advertising per hour, there would be a 30-40sec sponsor's advert before and after every programme they sponsor, which would be part of the programme. Sponsors could then choose which markets their programmes go to, or the BBC would tender programmes with a list of countries it would be aired in, with companies bidding to get the most lucrative markets.

This would require the BBC to be run like a business and not a bureaucracy, and the end of £450,000 golden handshakes for 1.5months service!!!!!

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2012, 07:05:53 am »

The other thing the BBC is probably missing, is the half hour "paid advertising" shows that
appear on daytime, and late night television... The following is a paid advertisment....

And now our host, Someone with an Australian accent. (applause)
Hey, now, I want to introduce to you the Toasty Oven,...

And then for the next half hour you have shouting and cheering coo's of amazement while
they chat up the latest gadget for three payments of $39.99(plus shipping).
It's only interrupted by graphic and the spokesperson pausing to tell you how to order.

And if it is a smaller product, and you order now, then they will double your order for the
same low price of $19.99... YOU get not one, not two, but FOUR items for one low price!!!

No one really wants this kind of television...
Here are the guilty products, and some of the "Pitch Men"
http://www.asseenontv.com/

{:-{

Spook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2012, 11:36:33 pm »

We've been using Freeview for several years and TBH it's basically the terrestrial channels with added shopping and Dave, not much else. Recently we went over to Sky (expanded entertainment package - no sports or movies or HD/3D) after much nagging from our teenage daughter. Now we have the pleasure of paying £20 per month for the same old shite we never used to watch anyway - and she watches such delights as My Fat Spoiled Little Liar Is A Pregnant Kardashian (or something). But we do seem to have Time Team, QI and My Family pretty much 24/7. And we still can't watch the F1 as you have to pay extra for that. Moneygrabbing gits!  >>:-(
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.