Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Vintage Model Boat Company's Wavemaster 25  (Read 25094 times)

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Vintage Model Boat Company's Wavemaster 25
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 11:19:00 pm »

its coming on and starting to look like a ship  :-))

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 02:09:10 pm »

A lunchtime's tinkering saw the battery box fitted and the servo mounted. (pics 018,019)  The servo is mounted where it can reached by removing the rear cabin roof and despite being a little tight the battery can be changed.  The rudder post will be inaccesible under the rear deck so the rudder arms will need to be soldered in place. (Next Job)  Finally a general shot showing the painted cabin roofs (pic020) finished with sanding sealer, Halford's primer and satin white spray paint. 
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

misog

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2012, 03:05:04 pm »

Just a quick question.
I too have bought this kit on a wave of nostalgia, and note from your comments that you think it may require a motor upgrade?.
I also thought it may not give the performance I am hoping to get from this boat, and wondered wether anyone had done an upgrade and what they used. I'm no boy racer but I would like to get a near 60's/70's performance out of it, something near to the diesels I used to watch at Blackheath as a kid.
I still have an E.D. sea bee diesel engine that hasn't run for the last 40 or so years, that I'd like to install in one of the smaller kits if I can find someone to school me in these engines as I'm more of a sail man.
Please keep posting
Misog

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2012, 03:18:04 pm »

Is you ED Bee water-cooled ?   If not sell it to a collector , or even it is , sell it to a collector and go electric. Just my opinion.
..well can you land on this?

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 03:43:02 pm »

Just a quick question.
I too have bought this kit on a wave of nostalgia, and note from your comments that you think it may require a motor upgrade?.
I also thought it may not give the performance I am hoping to get from this boat, and wondered wether anyone had done an upgrade and what they used. I'm no boy racer but I would like to get a near 60's/70's performance out of it, something near to the diesels I used to watch at Blackheath as a kid.
I still have an E.D. sea bee diesel engine that hasn't run for the last 40 or so years, that I'd like to install in one of the smaller kits if I can find someone to school me in these engines as I'm more of a sail man.
Please keep posting
Misog

I'd agree with Arrow5.  Many park lakes and club waters don't allow IC boats so you might want to check you could sail an IC boat locally before you decide.  I saw one of VMB's boats at Warwick that had been fitted with a brushless motor and I'm sure you could get IC performance from the right brushless motor.   

Mine own model is progressing slowly as we are still pretty busy at work but I hope to have it on the water by the end of the week if only to check the trim (pic to follow)  I've been contenting myself with fitting out the "gubbins" and gloss coating the hardwood cabin sides.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

misog

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 01:02:22 pm »

I'd agree with Arrow5.  Many park lakes and club waters don't allow IC boats so you might want to check you could sail an IC boat locally before you decide.  I saw one of VMB's boats at Warwick that had been fitted with a brushless motor and I'm sure you could get IC performance from the right brushless motor.   

Mine own model is progressing slowly as we are still pretty busy at work but I hope to have it on the water by the end of the week if only to check the trim (pic to follow)  I've been contenting myself with fitting out the "gubbins" and gloss coating the hardwood cabin sides.
There are waters where I live that allow IC and I understand where you're coming from, just thought it might be nice to match the old engine with the sort of model it was intended for and see how it went as I've never managed to run it before.
Looking forward to seeing more pictures as mine not yet started.
Is you ED Bee water-cooled ?   If not sell it to a collector , or even it is , sell it to a collector and go electric. Just my opinion.
Sure is

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 01:30:31 pm »

There are waters where I live that allow IC and I understand where you're coming from, just thought it might be nice to match the old engine with the sort of model it was intended for and see how it went as I've never managed to run it before.
Looking forward to seeing more pictures as mine not yet started.Sure is

I can dig that!  The watercooled E.D.Bee does seem to be a bit of a rare bird though.  Have you got the 25" or the 34" wavemaster?  The smaller one like mine should be suitable for the 1 cc engine.  If it were my job to do I think I'd start with an engine stand an get the engine running with it watercooling and then look to see how that needs to be fitted into the boat.  There's more than enough room in the wavemaster to fit engine, watercooling and fuel tank as well as the radio gear.  If you have an interest in classic model boats check out;

http://vintagemodelpoweboat.forumotion.co.uk/  and http://froggyt996.wix.com/vintage-model-power-boat/hammersmith#!__home-page

You'll probably find better advice on IC engines there too.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 01:47:50 pm »

Even a 25" would be(e) better with a 1 1/2CC CI engine to get it onto the plane and do you really want the three day Castor stink? {-)

On a more serious note, see the comment re oil soak in the 46" Fire tender restoration.

Regards  Ian.

(An I LURV Diesels)
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

misog

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 06:23:35 pm »

I can dig that!  The watercooled E.D.Bee does seem to be a bit of a rare bird though.  Have you got the 25" or the 34" wavemaster?  The smaller one like mine should be suitable for the 1 cc engine.  If it were my job to do I think I'd start with an engine stand an get the engine running with it watercooling and then look to see how that needs to be fitted into the boat.  There's more than enough room in the wavemaster to fit engine, watercooling and fuel tank as well as the radio gear.  If you have an interest in classic model boats check out;

http://vintagemodelpoweboat.forumotion.co.uk/  and http://froggyt996.wix.com/vintage-model-power-boat/hammersmith#!__home-page

You'll probably find better advice on IC engines there too.
I have the 25 hence the comment that I'd like to match the engine to a suitable model as mine is 0.46cc. Nothing against electric though but not knowledgable about brushless stuff.
Thanks for the pointers though, I'll follow up on those.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2012, 06:32:19 pm »

as mine is 0.46cc.
????

ED Bee is 1CC   ED Baby is 0.46

Regards  Ian.

If you "Bing" or "Google" ED Baby, you will be directed to the Motor Boys site and see the Aero version of your engine. The Bee never had a screw on barrel.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

misog

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 06:52:01 pm »

????

ED Bee is 1CC   ED Baby is 0.46

Regards  Ian.
Mines a baby then. I bought it second hand as a sea bee from a model shop in lewisham out of my paper round money in the late sixties.
You learn something every day, I still like it though and hope to see it run one day.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2012, 05:45:35 pm »

Looking back over the days since my last picture post I realised I've actually acheived very little towards getting the boat in the water.  I fitted the electrics and radio gear then blew the prop shaft coupling by pushing the motor to full throttle.  I need to dismantle the drive and rudder to fix it.
   Most of the work I have managed to do has been dolling up the cabin before I need to fix it in place.  After the holiday I'll;
1) Fix the drive.
2) Finish the hull, paint it and test the trim and integrity.
3) Fix the cabin.
4) Fix the deck.

I am rather pleased with the appearence of the cabin though.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2012, 01:23:04 am »

Nice job Tailuk, I'd be pleased with your cabin also. Keep posting :-))
                            Regards, Tony.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2012, 03:08:35 pm »

Yes nice cabin there - and I'll keep watching with interest.
Dave

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2013, 02:14:12 pm »

Back again, having eaten, drunk and been merry.  I resorted to a bought motor coupling and now that's fixed I'm proceeding to finish the hull.
The kit supplied ply was roughly shaped and the bow end was "feathered" to fit against the stem. (pic 022) then I curved the side pieces using the guitar rib bender.  With this ply I found that it bends nicely without wetting it. I actually pulled a little too much curve into it but it still fitted well. I used Epoxy to glue it and used plenty of clamps along the top edge and pinned through the ply into the chine stringers. (pic023)

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2013, 03:27:34 pm »

Hello Tailuk, what is the "guitar rib bender" you use? seems to do a grand job of shaping the ply skins.
          Anymore pitfalls to watch out for yet?   I've the 34" version yet to start.
Happy new year and regards, Tony. :-))

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2013, 04:25:00 pm »

The rib bender is a piece of kit I "inherited" when I started running the workshop.  It was bought back in the 70s when the department was making a lot of wacky woodwork. 
      To explain that, I run a workshop at a university design school.  The main focus of the department in the 70s was furniture and ceramics, now it's industrial design but we kept a lot of the old kit because it comes in handy every now and again.

The rib bender is basically a big lump of aluminium about 3 inches tall with a heating element which you can pull wood around to heat form it.  (see pic).
There are no real pitfalls as I can see provided you work methodically and watch out for the symmetry.  I test fitted the ply skins repeatedly until I was happy that they touched in all the right places then maked a couple of reference points on them so I wouldn't have to check the position after the glue was applied.  Basically glue it up, lightly clamp it and then line it up with the marks and get the rest of the clamps and pins in place all, hopefully, before the glue sets.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2013, 06:19:31 pm »

Cheers for that, what a handy bit of kit for building models - not seen anything like it. (You must have been just a nipper yourself then!)
                        Regards, Tony.

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2013, 06:27:10 pm »

Hey!  :o

I've got a bender very similar to that although not identical.  It's probably of the same vintage.  It came to me from my Grandad who used it for violin making purposes...bending the ribs thereof to shape.  It worked very well when I did violin making as an evening class for a few years.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2013, 07:29:51 pm »

http://slurmed.com/fanart/homies/010_bender-boat.png
Just thought I'd lower the tone :embarrassed:
Dave

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2013, 09:07:24 am »

Cheers for that, what a handy bit of kit for building models - not seen anything like it. (You must have been just a nipper yourself then!)
                        Regards, Tony.

That's very kind but I'm afraid the 1970's saw me kicked out of school and into the waiting arms of the taxman.  Which came as something of a shock! 
Having read rmaddock's comment I think it probable that this is a violin rib bender rather than the guitar as I was told.  The department used to run violin making courses during the summer vacation so this was another reason we had this bit of kit.

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2013, 10:16:32 am »

There's a series of photos here of one being used to bend the ribs of a violin ...... http://www.derekroberts.co.uk/making/ribs.htm
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2013, 10:25:10 am »

There's a series of photos here of one being used to bend the ribs of a violin ...... http://www.derekroberts.co.uk/making/ribs.htm

Fascinating!  I remember when I helped with my first violin course.  I was astounded that the back and front were carved from a slab of wood, I'd always assumed that they were moulded.

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2013, 10:43:13 am »

Fascinating!  I remember when I helped with my first violin course.  I was astounded that the back and front were carved from a slab of wood, I'd always assumed that they were moulded.

A friend of mine is a violinist and he and I, when we were younger and he was at the Royal College of Music, experimented with making both violins and mandolins. I well remember using a series of small spokeshaves to carve the quarter cut wood that is used for the back and front, it's a very subtle and extremely difficult piece of work to ensure a good quality tone and resonance to the instrument and having done that there's jobs like inserting the purfling ..... .. it's one of the reasons why I didn't take it up as a full time job !  {-)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2013, 06:26:55 pm »

With the hull sides in place and having fixed the chine rubbing strakes in place. I wiped a modest amount of car body filler over any gaps and pin holes (quite a few of those).  At this point you can use the strakes to ensure you've got a symetrical shape. After I'd fixed one side I put reference lines  on both sides, then measured the distances between the strake and the top edge of the hull.  Transferring these measurement to the other side helped to get the second strake in the correct position.  I rubbed the whole hull down and gave it a wipe.
I applied a liberal coat of epoxy finishing resin to the ply and used some light GRP tissue with the epoxy to re-enforce the keel around the stern tube.  The keel has been glued to the tube a couple of times, first with epoxy then with superglue but resting the hull down on it's keel knocked it loose, hence the stiffening tissue.   Once this epoxy is dry I'll give it a coat or five of primer and finally get it on the water. (pics 024, 025)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.