Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vintage Model Boat Company's Wavemaster 25  (Read 25090 times)

phil b

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Vintage Model Boat Company's Wavemaster 25
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2013, 08:00:37 pm »

Nice buils so far  :-))  I have this kit on order. there do not seem to be that many around. I dont have the kit yet but I am already planning. Is there a full size boat similar to this I am looking for ideas for colour schemes and finishes and I need a little insiration

phil b

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2013, 10:12:41 pm »

looking around this one looks pretty good

http://www.wicksteedparkmbc.com/wavemaster.htmlwavemaster

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2013, 09:21:07 am »

Nice buils so far  :-))  I have this kit on order. there do not seem to be that many around. I dont have the kit yet but I am already planning. Is there a full size boat similar to this I am looking for ideas for colour schemes and finishes and I need a little insiration

Google for "Vintage Cabin Cruisers" there are some really nice looking boats out there.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2013, 05:55:55 pm »

The Wavemaster has had it's first "float" test and remained dry inside, so I stripped out all the gear and broke out the rattle cans.  I used about 4 coats of filler primer to level the surface as best I could.  After much rubbing down I got some colour on it.  A dark blue above the chine and a lighter blue below. (pics 026, 027)  The transom was stained and I'll go over the whole thing with clear laquer.  Next step will be to re-install the gear and if the pond ever thaws out, give it a run.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2013, 06:02:35 pm »

Ready for her sea trials!  :-))   I refitted the prop, rudder and radio gear and bench ran them, all good.  Here's the wavemaster on the carry stand with the cabin in place.  I'm holding off on fitting the decks until I'm sure she'll run OK and tried her on the water.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2013, 01:08:05 pm »

The Wavemaster went into the water this lunchtime.  Unfortunatly the batteries in the camera gave out.  Despite the breezy conditions the boat seemed reasonably stable although a tired battery in the boat didn't give me the performace I was hoping for.  The battery is on charge and I'll have new camera batteries tomorrow, so with any luck there'll pictures and perhaps a video.  Found a small hull leak which should be easy enough to fix.  All in all, a satisfactory first test.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2013, 01:29:51 pm »

Car battery and a long extension of Regiments free BT wire?  :}

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2013, 01:38:24 pm »

It's like Ford's new electric car!  500 quid for the car and 10,000 pounds for the 600 mile long extension lead.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2013, 01:43:40 pm »

Only costs five and ninepence three farthings to drive from Sheffield to London though

Regards  Ian

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2013, 05:59:36 pm »

Hi Circlip,
now that's an expression I haven't heard since my Grandfather died, years ago.   :-))
Farthings had gone before I was a lad  :D
Then in '67 real money stopped altogether   O0

cheers
vnkiwi

If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2013, 12:50:30 pm »

Still use them in Yorkshire  :-))

Regards  Ian

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2013, 01:13:41 pm »

As the breeze was less today and the hull leak is apparently fixed I took the chance to get the Wavemaster out again.  With a charged battery she went a lot better but still not as good as I expected,  I'll need to give that some thought.
So here are a couple of pics and a Youtube link to a poor video. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEuHoSBEjd4

sailorboy61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2013, 01:58:53 pm »

You need a 'go faster' deck..... oh, any deck would do  :o    %)    %)    {-)

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2013, 03:58:38 pm »

You need a 'go faster' deck..... oh, any deck would do  :o    %)    %)    {-)

I left the deck off on purpose.  Access to the "gubbins" is a whole lot easier without it, if any remedial work was required.  Fixing the hull leak with the deck on would have been a bear.  Now I've seen that she'll run OK I can proceed with the deck and the final detailing

sailorboy61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2013, 04:04:28 pm »

:-))

Of course I realised there was a reason.................. {-)

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2013, 01:36:32 pm »

To keep sailorboy61 happy  :P  I started fitting the decks.  The deck provided is rather stiff so clamps were needed while the glue set.  I clad the cabin with hardwood so the side decks were a little short.  I've cut away the bow and stern decks  around the cabin(There loads of excess in the pieces) to fit further back.  I can now trim the side pieces to fit. (pic 031,032)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2013, 02:08:22 pm »

Looking GOOD!

Note to self, must get one of these kits....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2013, 06:37:49 pm »

Fitting the side decking was a bit trickier than bow and stern.  The ply had accquired a fairly good curl due to my not weighting it down while it was waiting to fitted.  I pulled some of the twist out using the rib bender so it would fix down flat.  I sanded the ends of the piece to fit between the bow and stern deck and using a little plane and a sanding block tweaked the fit against the cabin side.  There was slight difference in height where the bow and stern deck fitted against the side deck.  I added a sliver of wood along the top of the 1/8th strip that was fitted along the top of the bulkheads against the cabin side.  Scrap piecs of MDF were use to push the inner edge down, clamped to the cabin sides and tape and a pin were used to hold the outer edge down.  When the other side is fixed the deck edge can be trimmed back and the rubbing strip will cover the exposed ply edge.
(pic 033)

Stavros

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2013, 07:04:35 pm »

misog why not start your OWN Build blog so we can see yours being built

Dave

misog

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2013, 07:38:12 pm »

Sorry I take the hint, didn't mean to hijack the thread.
I'll zip it now!

tjfromdevon

• Shipmate
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2013, 10:48:14 pm »

Hi, just found your build log for this boat - it's encouraging as I to purchased one of these at Warwick last year, and after finally finishing another project (and decorating) I have finally started my build this evening. Your tips and insights are going to be a great help. Incidentally I went for a brushless setup with a 1600Kv outrunner and am planning to run on a 7.4 lipo.
By the way what did you use for window framing as there is none in the kit? Keep us the good work
TJ

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2013, 02:40:56 am »

Hi TJ, I too have nearly completed the 34" version bought at Warwick last year and have also followed Les's build (Tailuk) which was a big help, didn't really look at the instructions. I also contacted him re the window frames but Les has the skill and opportunity to laser cut them, an important point he quite rightly made is they are nearly all different sizes.
                I hand cut mine out of plastic card, 2 each of 11 different sizes!  I used the laser cut wooden pieces (that are removed from the openings) as templates for the 3mm acrylic windows I used.  I temporarily stuck the acrylic to either side of the templates using light tack double sided tape and cut around the peripheries with a roller guided router cutter, was pleased as they fitted in a treat.  I used waterproof  double sided tape stuck to the back of the frames, removed the excess overlaps with a scalpel, removed the backing paper, lined up and stuck the acrylics to the frames and pushed them into the apertures so that the overlap of the frame stuck to the sides of the cabin, two birds with one stone so as to speak with no mess, no glue.  Will happily post a pic or two if it will help.
           Oh by the way, you'll also find there is no provision for cabin flooring above the motor compartment, not difficult to overcome but it's a bit of surprising omission I think nonetheless.
                                    Anyway good luck and enjoy the build, kind regards, Tony. :-))
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.