Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mobile Marine Portgarth  (Read 1822 times)

sailorboy61

• Full Mayhemer
Mobile Marine Portgarth
« on: November 13, 2012, 11:39:06 am »

Along with several other projects, I continue to plod on with Portgarth.

I was wondering, from those that had built this or similar tugs, whether I need a P or A frame to support the tail end of the prop shaft as tolerances within the Kort's is pretty tight. Hopefully decent alignment on my part will minimise any vibration/movement, but is this something I need to be concerned about? I think I will have about 6 inches of unsupported shaft otherwise.

Thanks All.

billa65t

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mobile Marine Portgarth
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 09:13:44 pm »

Hi Sailorboy61,
Its all a matter of personal taste and depends what motors and props you are useing,my own personal choice is to use P frames to support the shafts as my Portgarths are running T12 and scooter motors and 60mm and 70mm props and depending on your pond or lake you dont know what you might hit or pick up with the props and as you say the tolerances are quite tight and any knock on the shafts could put them out of line.
Usually though you stand more chance of knocking the shafts either putting the boat in or out of the water or car, And while you are building it for the extra cost the stronger you can make it the better as it is easier to do it now then bend a shaft and have to do it later ?  <:(

sailorboy61

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mobile Marine Portgarth
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 09:49:48 pm »

Thanks Bill, I think I've plumbed for A frames so hopefully they will do the job and make it pretty strong. I have also made the skeg a bit bigger so that should always ground first!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.