Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery for Aerokits Sea Scout  (Read 2211 times)

Steamfrosty

• Shipmate
Battery for Aerokits Sea Scout
« on: November 14, 2012, 09:24:20 am »

Can anybody recommend a suitable battery pack to use in a Aerokits Sea Scout with a 545 brushed motor.
All answers and ideas greatfully received, thank you in anticipation.
Simon

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
Re: Battery for Aerokits Sea Scout
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 10:02:39 am »

In mine I'm using a Speed 600 and found that a Ni-MH 9.6v 2200 mah, which is just under14cm fits in nicely, as below  :-)

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 10:38:23 am »

If you need help in choosing it may well be worth having a look at http://www.component-shop.co.uk/index.html too as they have a big range and would be able to give you good advice.....  :-)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 10:40:29 am »

Is your 545 motor rated at 8.4 volts. If so an 8.4v 5000mAh SC NiMH battery pack
would do you nicely and give you a decent run time

http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/large_packs.htm
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Steamfrosty

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 12:52:05 pm »

Thank you to everyone for their help, Artistmikes photo was really helpful showing the battery installation.
My motor is the Johnson 545 supplied with the kit, from reading around a bit I get the impression that I would benefit from buying something a little more upmarket from Graupner. The prop is about 38mm diameter two bladed. I would be really interested to know what Artistmike has used with that watercooled Graupner 600 & 9.6V battery pack.

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 01:07:46 pm »

I've got a standard 40mm two bladed prop on mine and the performance is great ! .... I'm hoping to be taking a video of it next Sunday to show how she goes, which I'll post here but if you do put a 600 in it, you'll have a lot of fun !  %%   ....

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 07:55:52 pm »

I've got a standard 40mm two bladed prop on mine and the performance is great ! .... I'm hoping to be taking a video of it next Sunday to show how she goes, which I'll post here but if you do put a 600 in it, you'll have a lot of fun !  %%   ....

just seen your photo of your sea scout please do not take this the worng way BUT take a piece of advise about your motor connections GET RID of the crimps and solder the wires in,reason for this is simple really they can eventually drop off and leave the boat stranded on the middle of the lake,seen it many times...just an observation not a critism

Dave

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 08:24:20 pm »

Cheers Dave

Yes I believe I saw you mention this before on another post and I agree and since that photo I've made all the connections more permanent. At the stage I took that photo the boat was still going through testing so all connections were a bit temporary, even Wallace was only secured with blue-tack.  :embarrassed:

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 22 queries.