Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nubie  (Read 2175 times)

Vigo

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
Nubie
« on: November 14, 2012, 08:34:40 pm »

Hi Guy's
        Just another nubie,Been floating around Model Boat Mayhem for sometime now as a guest.I guess a bit about me would be appropriate,Well I served in the RN on the Following ships,HMS Vanguard(Training) HMS Adamant(Submarine depo ship) HMS Loch Alvie(Frigate)and HMS Vigo(Battle Class Destroyer)May I add I love the Beautiful Battles.
Currently I am Building HMCS Haida(Tribal Class Destroyer)I have been Building it 26 years + My job kept interfering,since retireing progress has improved,I keep thinking I'm finished then I find some more bits and pieces to make,(Ill be down to the Macro level soon)Haida is kind of scratch built but I purchased the propellers,anchor chains,and stantions,the scale is 1/96.
My next build will be my favorite,HMS Vigo in steel,I already have the late Norman Ough drawings in 1/96,and just recently aquired the(as fitted)drawings 1/48 scale from The Mitchel Library,Glasgow,Scotland.They probably have most of the ships drawings if the ship was built on the Clyde.One last blurb My wife thinks I'm being optomistic building Vigo after it took 26+ years to build Haida,I'm 73 now.
Thanks to the moderaters and all the other people that keep this forum running,I find it very informative and humerous.Please excuse spelling,the last intro I typed and did the spelling check it deleted the entire mesage.
                 Terry :-))

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Nubie
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 08:45:34 pm »

Nice to see someone referring to HMS Vigo one of the less well mentioned of the Battles. My original home, and where my Mother still lives, is in the village of Vigo in the North East of England which was originally a settlement village named after the Battle of Vigo.  My local pub - until it closed - use to have as its sign a painting of the Battle of Vigo and a nice painting of HMS Vigo inside.  Not sure where they ended up.  Nothing to do with model boats of course but just thought Id mention it!!
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 11:01:31 pm »

welcome aboard  :-))

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 11:47:42 pm »

Hi Terry welcome to MBM.  I think Vigo must have been laid up for disposal before I got to the  fleet.
I only remember seeing Trafalgar in commission the rest were all sitting at the trots in Fareham Creek
except for the 4 Picket conversions.  I served on Aisne in the penultimate commission in the Med and Far East.
Great ships if a bit crowded.
Some pics of your builds would be nice.
Geoff

Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 12:05:02 am »

I served on Aisne in the penultimate commission in the Med and Far East.

Oh, that brings back memories I think. We were in Gibraltar mid-60s and I think Aisne visited. My dad was career RN.

IIRC Aisne was the only ship one served 'on', it was served 'in' normally. But I was young and maybe it was a leg pull.

Anyways, I like destroyers and thinking about one for my first warship model.

Vigo

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 12:24:50 am »

Hi Geoff,so you were RN too,good stuff.Did the Suez war ??? on Loch Alvie,mainly in the Persian Gulf,and Cod war twice on Vigo,I became a civy in 59,thanks for the warm welcome.By the way I stand red faced re the Lion issue I think it was Tiger being prepped for PM Wilson in Chatham.I'll do some Pic's Maybe tomorow,By the way how do you pronounce Aisne??
Terry

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 07:33:35 am »

Terry I Don't know how the French pronounce it - after all it is their River that the Battle was named after
but we always pronounced it  "ain" as in pain.
Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.