Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shrouds for sailing trawler  (Read 3030 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Shrouds for sailing trawler
« on: November 15, 2012, 12:34:28 pm »

I'm looking for a little help please. As started elsewhere, I am scratchbuilding a Humber sailing trawler ( a bit like a Brixham one) I've come to a dead halt with the shrouds, while there is plenty of photo evidence online of how they attach at the hull, there is nothing about the top end where they meet the mast.

Can anyone point me to a photo resource of the top end, I've so far drawn a blank on this, or describe the attachment if they know please.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Shrouds for sailing trawler
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 12:51:26 pm »

Not much out there is there.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 01:49:13 pm »

A pair would loop around the mast, a whipping applied to form a loose loop and then down to deadeyes.
A single would loop around and be whipped to the standing part.

Hope this helps, when I get home this evening I'll find some pics

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 08:21:44 pm »

Thanks to both of you. That drawing is the only one out there! I have the book Holmes Of The Humber, from which it taken and from which I scaled it up to make my example. Longshanks I would most appreciate a photo or two, as you can see from the drawing its not clear at all.

The book by the way has no photographs, the chap it's about (Holmes) was an amateur sailor who also was also something of an artist, his illustrations litter the book and all the line drawings as above were done by him.

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 08:43:51 pm »

what about using the shroud attatchment from a similar vessel of the same period ? is your model a r/c working model or a static ? ?

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 08:46:58 pm »

Brian,

I can heartily recommend a copy of THIS book.  It explains beautifully how traditional boats were put together and although not specific to your boat it would probably help.

I'm currently building a Morecambe Bay Prawner (also a sailing trawler) and it helped me no end to get my head around things.

Good luck with the build.

Robert.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 09:42:06 pm »

In my younger days, I used to sail alot on Thames barges with ex professional masters, who taught me how to rig these craft and I knew several people who had ex fishing smacks. Longshanks gave you the right advice although single shrouds and stays always had a spliced eye at the part which went over the mast hounds. The lower part always set up on deadeyes in older working craft.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 10:13:25 pm »

When any one wants to know about Sailing Trawlers ( Sailing Traewlers by E. March) is the book you need. Out of print but I manage to get a copy on loan from my local library. Here is mine.  Geoff

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 10:37:05 pm »

Hi Brian,
As promised pics, can't find the book I was thinking of but I hope these will help.
I agree with Robert on the Tom Cunliffe book. I would also recomend
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaff-Rig-Handbook-Techniques-Developments/dp/1408114402/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353018333&sr=1-3
The attached pics are copied from Underhills book

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 06:27:35 am »

Many thanks to you all, some very useful advice here.

The current one I am building is to roughly  1/72nd scale giving me a hull of just over 320mm. I made a mould and ran off 3 grp hulls, one to be a static display, one is going into a diorama of a harbour. The third although it may be silly to attempt at this size, is going to be a true sailing model. As I mentioned elsewhere the keel ballast will be underslung on the boat (bit like a yacht) to help keep it upright.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 09:51:03 am »

Best of luck with your build in 1/72 scale

Brooks22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 05:36:27 am »

I have several bottle boats with similar length hulls, they all sail fine (gaff sloop, topsail schooner, brig). So you should be ok, provided you keep everything on the sailing version as light as possible. The reason to conserve weight is so that you can put more lead in the base of the the fin keel, thus making a stiffer craft. If you can't get a stiff sailer with the allowable ballast, then deepen the fin keel to yield more leverage to the ballast you can carry. Your ship should be very pretty on the water, hope you provide lots of photos :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.