Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking For Italeri 1/35 S100 Build Help  (Read 8340 times)

george

• Full Mayhemer
Looking For Italeri 1/35 S100 Build Help
« on: November 17, 2012, 04:02:53 am »

Hello
 I have an Italeri 1/35 S100 in the box. I would like to build it into a Realistic R.C scale version. Can anyone who has built this into an R.C version give me sources for parts?
 I am looking for Prop shafts, stuffing tubes, props, A frames, brushed motors, three of each. I have heard that Prop Shop makes the prop but after contacting them, I was told that they were NOT in stock and had to be made BUT after converson to Canadian funds where I am, they are Expensive.
 Can anyone else give me suggestions for gear suppliers? I also plan to go with Action Electronics in the U.K UNLESS there are other suggestions.
 Thanks for your Help.
 George

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Looking For Italeri 1/35 S100 Build Help
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 06:35:50 am »

Likewise, I also am in a similar situation as George, having one of these in the box and looking for the same bits via mailorder.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

AlanT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 09:43:46 am »

Not sure about the s100 specifically, but I've converted several plastic kits to R/c, (Corvette, Enterprise, Linberg Blue devil etc).
The scale prop size for these kits is probably a M2 or 2mm size, I buy them from "Model Boat bits, http://www.modelboatbits.com/. The owner, Steve Tranter is always very helpful and will produce things to order if not correct, (he built me a brass Corvette rudder to replicate the plastic one supplied with the kit.) He also has suitable "A" and "P" frames.
He also stocks the superb Raboesch Props, which although not cheap are superb.
With reference to motors it really depends how many you want to fit!. I have seen this boat built with one, two or three motors, so the choice really is yours....I think I would build it with one decent spec motor as there is not a great deal ofroom available....

The rest of the components I guess you can source locally or if you want to use Action bits direct from their website.

Hope this is useful.

Regards

Alan

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 10:15:07 am »

Alan,

Thank you for that info.

Would Steve know the shaft lenght etc and what prop sizes to supply.

Am looking to do a triple brushed installation, as is George.

Action have a couple of good diagrams for triple powering plus I have used their products before.

AlanT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 02:50:29 pm »

Just to confuse the issue....I have just looked up some builds on other Forums. The only indication I got about shaft length was, "it depends where you position the motors"....which is not a great deal of help. To further confuse the issue some have used 3mm propshafts, but then had problems getting hold of suitable props. I don't thing I would go down that route. Some have also used brushless motors, which gave very scary performance, looking at the videos,

Dave Abbot has written an article for next months(December 2012) issue of Model Boats which deals with converting this boat to R/C . This should be just the thing you are looking for.

I did try to accesss the archives on here as I know there are some build logs somewhere but I can't seem to access anything pre-Forum facelift.

Alan

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 03:11:47 pm »

There is quite a long thread at Model Boats forum on this subject http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=27016
SHG in UK will make shafts to the length required plus bearings to go in the existing A brackets but it all depends on whether you want the shafts to run at the same angle as the original which puts the motors further forward (and may mean the batteries have to move from a central position) or have the shafts steeper and shorter so the motors are further aft and the batteries can be central. 
I thought there was an earlier Model Boats magazine article on this - I'll seee if I can find it.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 09:04:27 pm »

'I've had some email problems with SHG. 

(moderated)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 09:25:52 pm »

I think SHG do have the stuff but they are not much good with emails which isn't altogether helpful if you live in Oz.
Maybe someone over here could ring them on your behalf although it shouldn't be necessary.

Colin

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 09:59:10 pm »

I see that in fact December's article is for conversion of the MAS 586 Italian boat.
If it helps I can take the dimensions of the shafts and the bearings and pass them on as there must be plenty of places in Oz that could make them up for you.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 10:08:50 pm »

Dave Abbott's review is now on the Model Boats website but for subscribers only I'm afraid! But you can always buy the magazine on Friday.

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article/plastic-magic-mas-568-4a-serie/13847

Colin

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 11:07:53 pm »

Moderated

This could quite easily be another one of those communications issues like those suggested in a similar thread about a different supplier last weekend.

I've only ever dealt with SHG via the 'phone and have found them to be more than helpful. So, although I can't comment on email response times, will make a call for you if you'd like.

Andy
How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

george

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 02:53:35 am »

Hello Again
 Well I see there is a fair amount of replies, Thank You. If possible could someone pass on my initial post to SHG for me? I would like to find out what they can offer and what the prices are. To recap; 3 brushed motors, shafts, stuffing tubes with proper bearings, brass props to scale appearance. I would like to have the motors as far back as possible to allow battery centre placement and have room for electronics up front. I don`t know shaft sizes because this is new to me. I would like the props to be screwed onto the shafts. I welcome your opinions.
 Thank You again.
 George

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 03:47:53 am »

FAO george and RAAArtyGunner,

I've just sent an email to SHG with a link to this thread and a message to let them know that they have been sent (at least) a couple of enquiries from overseas which haven't received a response as yet.

Andy

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 03:51:47 am »

I see that in fact December's article is for conversion of the MAS 586 Italian boat.
If it helps I can take the dimensions of the shafts and the bearings and pass them on as there must be plenty of places in Oz that could make them up for you.

Yes, you would think so, but Model boating in Australia does not have much of a following.

Cars and planes on the other hand, no problem, but go to a hobby shop and talk boats???????????????????. <:( <:( <:(

If you can't make it yourself then overseas buying is the other option.

Thank you for your offer to help, just need a good reliable supplier who doesn't charge the earth and answers emails. O0 O0

Hope am not asking too much. %% %% %%

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 08:51:56 am »

Hi All,

Just picked up on this thread to let you know what I have done. Props, shafts and rudders from SHG 3 x 385 MFA motors biggest issue was getting the clearance on the shafts so I extended using longer couplings from MMB the centre was ok (just) only thing I really had to do was put an insert into the A brackets to extend them deeper by about 3mm this gave just enough clearance.
This keeps the battery packs just slightly forward of centre.
Hope this helps.

Rich
Regards,

Rich

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 09:22:04 am »

I'm probably not giving too much away when I say that Dave Abbott has driven the centre shaft only, leaving the wing shafts as dummies. His installation includes the Mtroniks G2 Hydra 15 combo which includes a brushless outrunner: http://www.mtroniks.net/details1.asp/ProductID/741/sid/1/g2hydracombo.htm   married to a 7 inch shaft and 20mm 3 blade prop from SHG although you could no doubt source these from elsewhere such as MMB and Deans etc.
Colin

AlanT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 10:56:52 am »

I look forward to reading Dave Abbott's article when I receive my copy of the December Model Boats.

I also read the publicity statement for the  G2 Hydra combo given in Colin's link.....It just seems very expensive compared to a traditional brushed motor and ESC., as the only advantage I can see is for a slightly longer run time. I do remain somewhat unconvinced by the use of brushless motors in Scale boats especially if Lipo's are used as you require special charging equipment, yet more expense!.I guess there could also be a requirement for water cooling so yet more potential expense. ...The question of which battery to use is also a little unclear, and I'll be interested to see what Dave uses in his build.

Exciting times in the Plastic Magic field!.

Alan

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 11:34:17 am »

Alan, you are quite right that the G2 Hydra is rather expensive but I think Dave was simply using the build as an opportunity to try out a brushless motor. As you say, a brushed setup would be quite adequate and a lot cheaper.

Colin

george

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 12:41:56 am »

Hello Again
 Thanks for All the comments and tips. I just sent on the SHG company website, an email to them Reg. the Italeri 1/35 R.C running gear that I need for my project. Will let you know if I hear back from them.
 In my email I mentioned the fact that I am in Canada and because of the time difference, not sure how much, I would not call them or vice versa.
 Thanks Again for the help.
 One thing, what are the sizes of the Three prop shafts, stuffing tubes and brass propellors shown in the posts here?
 George

george

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 01:52:33 am »

Hello Again
 Well I have Some Really shocking news, about a half hour or less after I emailed SHG I received a reply from Miss. Susan Grainger. A Very nice helpful reply with their 2012 Catalogue as well. They have parts for Both Italeri S100 and Vosper MTB 1/35 boat R.C conversions as well as the 1/72 Revell Corvette R.C Conversion plus others my mind can`t remember.
The ONLY thing they don`t have is a setup for paypal. Credit card ONLY but that is done via a phone call person to person.
I have given her my wishlist for what I want and now I await her reply.
VERY FAST email reply. Others could learn from that. Still not heard back from my other email to that other company that my post was closed on though.
George

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 02:09:47 am »

Hi George,

Glad to hear that you and SHG are in contact 1-to-1. I was going to give them a call tomorrow in case they had an email issue that they were unaware of.

Andy

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 08:05:10 am »

Hi,

My prop shafts were 2mm and close to scale.

Regards,
rICH
Regards,

Rich

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 03:43:44 pm »

Just checked my emails and found that I had received a couple from Susan Grainger at SHG, with a pdf of the 2012 catalogue.

I don't usually post information from PM's or other private correspondence, but I think that the following extracts from the two emails which were received both before and after SHG established contact with george, are worthy of reproducing here for the benefit of all.

Quote from: SHG via email Sunday November 18, 2012 9:56 PM
Dear Andy
Thanks for the heads up on this.
I am still trying to identify any emails that we have overlooked and cannot find any, we did have a problem with communications with RAAArty Gunner some time ago, we thought we had resolved the problem when we found out about it from his comments on the site, it appears not however.
George from Hamilton Ontario Canada appears to be asking where he can obtain the parts from...
If you could help with an email address for George I will forward him the information....
Regards
Susan Grainger
S.H.G.

Quote from: SHG via email Monday 19 November, 2012 02:22
Dear Andy
Contact made with George in Ontario.
Many thanks for your help
Regards
Susan
S.H.G.
p.s. I don't usually do email at this time of the night but I've got flu and am not sleeping well.

I have no connection with SHG other than as an (infrequent) customer, but have only ever found their service to be first rate.

Note to RAAArty - I will call SHG now and mention your error message, although they do appear to be on the case. Actually, did they email your catalogue or PM it?

Note to Susan Grainger, SHG. Your poorly - Go to bed and rest, before it turns to Man-Flu!  O0

Andy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 06:55:09 pm »

Topic tidied up.

This is not a forum for public berating of Traders.
 Please address these issues directly off forum.

NB. There is an error on the SHG email server/system it rejects all unknown email address'.
      I'm sure their friendly IT bod will look at it for them....

Martin  :police:

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.