Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Napoleon Bonaparte in trouble  (Read 11414 times)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Napoleon Bonaparte in trouble
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 11:39:23 pm »

Have to agree with you on the bit over the bridge. I am not a fan of that at all. The new Viking line Viking grace has the same thing and it runs the line of the ship. I think the stockness gives her looks. I do agree slender like Tor Scandinavia look nice to.
Did you win your ferry on ebay. Have you seen that 1:100 ferry on Face book

John

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2013, 11:48:44 pm »

Hi John - got b****y sniped for the FEII by 50 cents with 2 seconds to go. Looked like a dealer as he had nigh on 2000 'stars'. I hate ebay when that happens - you just dont stand a chance. Was going to let Ali borrow it to take a mould from if I got it..

Still - got my feelers on a pair of paintings at the mo (FEIV and Viking I).......

And as for the Princess Seaways and Peter Pan on FB......they are stunning!!!! We need to get him on here...

Will email you tomorrow about our possible joy-riding.....been stupid busy this week with the day job AND sorting the drawings for the laser-cutter guy.
Carl 8)

wartsilaone

• Ferry Small Ships
  • Full Mayhemer
  • It was like that when I got here!
    • Ferry Small Ships
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 09:15:34 am »

Hi guys,

You know what? I actually prefer the Danielle Cassanova, maybe it's her more conventional looks. The funnel and mast are however too close together. Green windows again, ughhh.

Ali
ferrysmallships.moonfriut.com

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 12:19:32 pm »

Hi
there has been a fair bit of snipping on ebay with sniper software at the moment. I have been hit 6 time in the last 2 months oh well never mind.
Thoes X2 ferries on FB are of such high quailty.
Ail i take it you done like green glass then LOL

John

wartsilaone

• Ferry Small Ships
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Ferry Small Ships
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 12:37:36 pm »

It's just that the green doesn't go with the blue branding. If the livery was green or the windows were blue or black it may look better.

On the subject of Ebay. My philosophy is that you bid what you would pay for an item and if you get outbid, there will be another one turn up soon enough.

However
If there is an item you haven't seen for before and you really want it you have to be prepared to bid at least 3 times the current price.
I only ever bid on items I really want and don't often get trumped.

There is a German buyer out there who seems to have an unlimited budget, the good thing is he doesn't go in for ferries.

[size=78%]Ali [/size][size=78%]  [/size]

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2013, 12:51:15 pm »

Hi Ali
fair pont on the green glass never thought of it.
That german buyer or some elese with big money does hit the odd ferry.
I lost one I was winning it at 2 sec at 62 euro then i was out bid at 125 euro. 64 euro jump at 2 sec point to a snipping program. Any there will be more along latter then there is Kassel show. If i could get the Napoleon Bonaparte I think it would look great next to Silja Seranade.
John
Have you seen thoese X2 1:100 ferries Peter Pan and Princess Seaways

wartsilaone

• Ferry Small Ships
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Ferry Small Ships
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2013, 01:05:02 pm »

I sometimes bid on 2 seconds left so it might not always be a programme.
It is a bummer when you think you might get a model for £60  then when the last second bids are in you find you've been pushed all the way up to £150. That's the way it goes, If you want an item that much you will have to pay for it. Up to now the only access I have to these models is through Ebay so it hard to compare prices and decide a limit I would bid. I'm sure I have paid over the odds for some models but they are the ones I really wanted and were hard to find.

I had a look at the Peter Pan and Princess Seaways models, they are stunning. I've bookmarked the site for future viewing.

Ali

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2013, 01:25:33 pm »

Hi Ali
I would say on ebay prices they may be a small bit higher that  at a show but not much,some times cheeper. It depends on how long ago the last one turned up.
Thoes two ferries are of duch high quailty. Shame the Princess Seaways is not RC but still a great model.

deadwood

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2013, 02:20:21 pm »

Hello,

as I already commented further above in this thread I don't find the NAPOLEON BONAPARTE (NB) that ugly,
although I must admit that I have seen more palatable ferries already.

At least I must have found her interesting enough to try to derive a lines plan of her from the rather crude profile/deckplan material which was available from the SNCM website.
As this was when I started using the DELFTship lofting software and tried to get grips at it the resulting lines plan admittedly may still leave sufficient room for refinement or better a complete fresh new go at it.
But maybe someone here might not mind me polluting the bandwidth with posting this in this thread which I find not to be too off topic here.
Let's hope the image upload works and that I sufficiently reduced the pics with ImageMagick's nifty convert (no misspelling on my behalf here, it's spelled that way) a priori.

To whom it may concern, here's the DWL hydrostatics to my line plan of NB.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2013, 02:58:26 pm »

Sniping, be it manual or automated, has been around for many years. If an item is popular then sitting on your pc making manual bids is unlikely to win you it. You'll either need to snipe it yourself or put a high maximum bid in and let eBay handle it. But either way if someone else it's prepared to bid higher you won't win, so no point making out that it's not fair somehow.

wartsilaone

• Ferry Small Ships
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Ferry Small Ships
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2013, 03:13:25 pm »

I know we're going off topic but yes if you want an item that much, you have to snipe it.  That's how Ebay works.
All is fair when it comes to the last piece that completes your collection.

If a Sextant 'Norland' appeared on Ebay, I would happily snipe it for whatever it takes to win.

Ali

deadwood

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2013, 03:36:54 pm »

I think her funnel are what makes her ,gives her that stance.
her half sister Danielle casanova funnel makes her wrong

I quite agree, John.
To me NB also looks more impressing than DC.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2013, 03:39:09 pm »

Hi
I do like what you are Abel to do with delf ships. That is some relay good work there Ralph. I do VISTA your thread on the germany forum from time to time.
 On EBay I not saying it is not FAIR. I was just saying ,compaired to the normal activity in the last few seconds there has been one or two auctions were and items has gone up between 100 and 200 % in the last few sec. These auctions  have bucked trends and stand out.One A boat running at 40 euro with 5 sec to go sundley just to 180 euro. X2 people 1 bid 179 euro the other 180,so   when they started typing the bid was 40 euro ,NO it is snipping programs. Fair enough if people want to use those programs but I heard of story were one back fired big time for some one and cost him BIG TIME £
I know how eBay works I don't need it explaining but such jumps stand out. I was just saying i have noticed it Happing in the last 2 months.

John

deadwood

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2013, 03:54:47 pm »

If they were stretched by half their length, then the proportions of length to breadth to height would come close to balance.

Yes, she's got quite a low L/B of abt. 5.8, and her B/T of abt. 4.5 is quite high.
But then, ferries, especially those built these days, are usually rather at the brink of those ratios.
The Flender  1976 built sisters TOR BRITANNIA / SCANDINAVIA are still the epitome of elegant ferry designs in my view,
but of course in their original state, before they spoiled their looks like with so many Pax ships in pursuit of SOLAS conformance with all those blisters, sponsons and duck tails.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2013, 04:08:16 pm »

Hi Ralf
 have to agree with you Tor Line twins were so elengent and the livery was perfect. Then thet went down hill with DFDS and Mobby.
I heard the duck tail on Finnjet increased her top speed to 33.5 knots.
JOhn

wartsilaone

• Ferry Small Ships
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Ferry Small Ships
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2013, 04:37:42 pm »

I have to agree that the TOR twins were the most elegant and classically designed ferries of them all. 

Ali.

deadwood

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2013, 05:05:13 pm »

I heard the duck tail on Finnjet increased her top speed to 33.5 knots.

It could well have had an effect on the ship's power consumption or maximum speed, especially if the tail was shaped or integrated into the stern as a wedge.
Similar to planing or semi-displacement vessels at high speeds (I think in terms of Froude-Number (Fn), as naval architects use to calibrate their mind set at, at around Fn = 0.3-0.32)
there can be observed a shift of longitudinal center of flotation (LCF - so to speak the centre of gravity of the effective waterplane area around which the ship pivots trimming-wise) aftwards,
which causes the hull to trim further by the stern (i.e. increase of negative trim), or kind of squat.
This usally is accompanied by an increased resistance.
So a tail or trim wedge at the stern if designed carefully adds some additional buoyancy there which results in a counter trim momentum  and avoids an increase of trim by stern.

For those interested in the ship hydrodynamics of recent ferry designs, here's an interesting paper submitted to a conference dedicated to fast sea transportation by researchers from the Hamburg Ship Model Basin.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2013, 06:06:56 pm »

One A boat running at 40 euro with 5 sec to go sundley just to 180 euro. X2 people 1 bid 179 euro the other 180,so   when they started typing the bid was 40 euro ,NO it is snipping programs.

He might have bid £500 because he was prepared to pay that much. But he only has to pay the bid increment more than the highest other bid - your 179 in this case.

wartsilaone

• Ferry Small Ships
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Ferry Small Ships
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2013, 06:20:28 pm »

The thing with our waterline hobby is that it's relatively small and you get to recognise your fellow bidders from their feedback score. There are times when I've bid just to make some people pay more because they've beaten me in other auctions in the past. Other than friends on mayhem I would rather no-one knew I was interested.

Ali   

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2013, 09:49:50 pm »

Hi  Ralph
I have just read that paper. Very intresting, thanks for sharing it

John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.