Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma Build  (Read 16877 times)

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
Sigma Build
« on: May 12, 2007, 01:05:17 am »

Well after the various mail services attempted not to deliver it, I finally picked it up today ;D
This is the FSRO version, low cut and mean... I pictured it next to my L ynx as it gives a good idea of the size difference and other changes made.
The build will proceed slowly probably, I still have to order some stuff and a few details are not yet decided......one example is that I do not appear to have space for a 1/4 scale steer servo so I have to research and find a high torque servo to my liking.
Epoxy and carbon build. Rails are nice and sharp as is the transom.
Thanks Dave, let's hope I can do it justice.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sigma Build
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 09:39:55 pm »

Nice Ian,

did it come with the engine rails fitted included in the price?

Glenn

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 12:27:56 am »

Hi Glenn, yes it did but I chose to have them installed. As I understand from Dave this will be so from now on. It makes for an easier build for most people. The rails are also drilled for an engine mount, mine for a Top Secret mount. This. of course, means that you set it up as Dave intended...............
I am not sold on rails (more freedom with placement of stuff without) but will see how this build goes.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 12:33:15 am »

Hello Ian.

Interesting comment. I've built a few over the years and only used rails on the last refurb, so far so good, thinking they may give a little more strength to the boat. I like them.

Should be fairly easy (depending how the stern tube is fitted) to move the motore fore and aft if required.

Have fun building it.

Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 04:50:24 pm »

Hi Ian im looking forward to see how you progress with this boat good luck  ;) i still prefer woodys though ;D.

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 07:23:45 pm »

OOOOOH, very nice! ;)

Nice big workshop as well by the looks of things!

Regards

Simon
Rubbin is Racin!

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 11:50:37 pm »

Nice big workshop as well by the looks of things!

My place of work.......

Still waiting on stuff.......... :(

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 12:16:48 am »

So more stuff finally arrived, this build has been dogged by delay, first the hull, then stuff from Bluefishy and to top it off I had to go to the depot to pick up a package from Germany after that went missing for a few days.
Pics show how far I've come. Motor is in, the pre-drilled holes for the Top Secret motor mount made that easy, the motor sits so low that the bottom coil mount has to be removed. Transom is drilled and MTC stinger drive and rudder mounted. I got on and mounted the MTC sealed flex system today. The stinger is a risk as Dave has (since I ordered this one) tried a similar one on his boat without much success. Oh well if it doesn't work someone else might get to try it.
I ordered some ABC props, first time with these. The blade shape reminds of Unobtainium Propshops which I have used before but as they refuse to answer e-mail and seem not to be delivering I decided to try something else.
No "bling" just practical i hope...
More to come...

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 12:21:38 am »

More pics. Any questions, please ask away...
As the drive MUST NOT drop below the transom I taped some scrap aluminium to the bottom while marking up. I still have to make an oiler to attach to the stuffing tube as well as a few other things.....more to come...

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 07:35:02 pm »

Looking good Ian i like it  ;),also like the silicone tube between the stuffing tube and the coupling you wont be getting much water up there then  ;D .

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 12:22:47 pm »

Its to keep flex lubricant in Martin, not water out ;)

Here's a flush mounted water inlet being added, it still requires the final filing. Once filed flush it should provide a good drag-free water spply.

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 06:31:20 pm »

Hi ian,

Will you get enough water up the tube if its flush? I have often thought of trying that.

Regards

Simon
Rubbin is Racin!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 07:05:01 pm »

Its to keep flex lubricant in Martin, not water out ;)

Here's a flush mounted water inlet being added, it still requires the final filing. Once filed flush it should provide a good drag-free water spply.
  ohh goody does two jobs in one hehe  ;D.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 08:39:07 pm »

Will you get enough water up the tube if its flush? I have often thought of trying that.
I've seen these used on both FSR-V hulls and offshore hulls very effectively, there is really no difference between this and a rudder pickup. No need to stick things down into the flow. I suspect it all has to do with laminar flow, same as a NACA duct for air supply.
If you reverse this then you can do a very effective self-bailer as well, just run a loop over the waterline and down into the V.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2007, 08:58:36 am »

nice work Ian looks good to me and you wont get any drag from those pickups hehe nice work,hoiw does it work in reverse as a bailer ? will water not run in when the boat stops? or is there a secret you havent told us about  ;).by the way had the boat out the other day and got another video im still having problems with it cutting out after 20 mins or so rather than clutter your thread could you post your answer on mine and il delete this question thers a link to the vid on there too .

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2007, 10:48:19 am »

how does it work in reverse as a bailer ?
Patrick Tegelberg shows an example on MGB.com. First saw it on an aluminium piece from PiP many years ago. Basically as the boat moves it creates suction on the line which pulls out excess water. To stop water coming in when stopped you make a loop over the waterline. I used it on my jet boat with good effect.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 12:43:46 pm »

Hi Ian,

how does the flex cable join onto the MTC drive / strut assembly you have fitted?

Glenn

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 04:35:17 pm »

I'll be trying Loctite 638 on this one, lots of new things to try  ::) I have the radiobox, turnfins and last stuff now. Even getting stuff from Stockholm proved a pain in the a***, over a 10 days to arrive >:(
This build is fighting me all the way timewise :(
The innards of the radiobox are proving to be a tight fit, not got it worked out yet, might have to build myself a custom box...... :-\

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2007, 04:51:23 pm »

I'll be trying Loctite 638 on this one, lots of new things to try  ::) I have the radiobox, turnfins and last stuff now. Even getting stuff from Stockholm proved a pain in the a***, over a 10 days to arrive >:(
This build is fighting me all the way timewise :(
The innards of the radiobox are proving to be a tight fit, not got it worked out yet, might have to build myself a custom box...... :-\

So the round flex cable just a tight fit into the internal hole on the shaft? Thought it might have been a square with the round cable end at the motor clamped in the collet.

Interesting. Where did the stinger drive come from Ian? If you don't mind me asking.

I recently was messing on with fibreglass and managed to make some flat sheets which can easy be fabricated into a box. Just layed up some resin and matt on a sheet of glass!!
You can then incorporate soem timbers to mount servo's etc if you like. Wood edge round the top provides a good area to fit the lid too.

Glenn

Glenn

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2007, 07:33:11 pm »

That's right, tight fit, round peg, round hole. Europeans use it so I thought I would try....Stinger is MTC from Tom Lorenz http://modellbaulorenz.de/ not good English but good service ;D
I think I have the box cracked now, sort of, I don't want to buy new high torque standard servos when I have perfectly good 1/4 scale ones here..... it will be two tier ::) to fit everything in.. Otherwise your idea is good, simple and effective, me, I would have used plywood  ;)
I have some carbon fibre angle I made up that I may cut to try as a turn fin, anyone tried CF?

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2007, 12:31:48 am »

No, But I have a piece of carbon sheet about 6"x 5" you can have if it's any use. Not sure if you can get it to a sharp enough edge for a turn fin or not.

Let me know if you want it Ian.

Glenn

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2007, 05:47:24 pm »

Thanks for the offer Glenn, keep it for your next radio tray, if I took it I'd probably sharpen it and slit my throat. Radio box is still causing hassles, can't get the rudder link to line up nicely....forgot the big corners on the Fibox enclosures and seem to have invented drilling round corners :-[ Box in place, rudder in place, mark, check, take out and drill, now they don't line up >:( >:( I guess it will be an oversize hole and cover piece.......what a waste of a Fibox  :'(
More pics to come when (if ever) I have made some progress.

Just because I can again - LYNX, lynx, Lynx. WEIRD ::)

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2007, 02:47:58 am »

Guess I will have to fit it in the Tornado then in that case. If I get the time and inclination to get it finished off properly.

Have fun Ian, it can only get better. Probably.

G

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2007, 09:16:25 am »

Yea chin up Ian im sure it will start to come together soon ,at least you were honest when you made a mistake most of us keep quiet about it lol ;D and believe me we all make mistakes i must have redone my rudder 3 times on my build till i got it right ::).sit back have a few beers and all will become clearer!! OR NOT! depends how much beer you drink hehe  ;D.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 08:45:25 pm »

Ok, here we go, more progress...Intake filed down flush.
Mounted 2 pieces of carbon angle, 1 for tacho and 1 for GPS I think (may change).
Radio box glued down to a base plate and in position, still have to make front hold downs (any good ideas?) Kindly note the BIG hole rearward to the rudder :-[
Preparing the clunk for the tank and the tank finished, this is a 1 litre tank (fun days - out and run), it may move the cg too high when full so I am also making a smaller one for testing purposes. I still have to install the filler. I use the Dubro, some people complain of air leaks but I have yet to have that problem.
Next we have some glassed in brass for cooling water, 1 each side, 1 from the rudder (cooling head, flange and front of pipe) and 1 from the flush intake (manifold/pipe union O'rngs)
Finally a self bailer as otherwise there is no way out for any collected water with this stinger drive.
Getting there but it is taking longer than I anticipated ::)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 22 queries.