Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma Build  (Read 16876 times)

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sigma Build
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2007, 11:27:53 pm »

Good point Danny and that has been checked, pulled it over today after work and sparking fine  O0 working for a new maiden on Sunday if I get the chance...

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2007, 09:38:39 pm »

Sunday didn't work out but tonight the Sigma hit the water. Very windy conditions so not ideal :( Unfortunately no pics as no one had a camera with them.
I am going to like this boat, first trial I put an ABC 3014 on, not good it wouldn't hit the pipe. Instead of playing with the pipe I put on a 7016/3 that I know works with the engine and current pipe settings and the boat came to life, fast, stable and turns well. No GPS from today but at least as fast as my L ynx on gut feeling. For a first time out and no setup I was really happy. Then threw a 2914 on and pulled the pipe out 1/4" and off it went, when the pipe came on she took off.
With time spent on the setup this is going to be one really good ride O0 O0 O0

omra85

« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2007, 10:12:07 pm »

2914?  You'll soon have to buy aircraft props for it  ;D ;D ;D
Glad it's going well.  Now take the video camera and the GPS ;)
Pity you didn't go to Leno with it - I've just seen the results and they look as though they could use a few good FSR-O boats there  ::) ::)

Danny

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2007, 12:24:47 am »

The Dutch and Germans like those props and I can see the potential. 3014 was an absolute pig to prepare, it felt, thick, heavy and very blunt. It took ages and a lot of material removal to sharpen it. 2914 was better as was the 2716. I intended to throw the 2716 on but hadn't checked the notches, they were badly cast and wouldn't fit on the drive dog. Compared to these the Propshops are a doddle to prepare, only problem there is getting them to reply to emails when asking questions before an order. When and if I need more Propshops I will buy from the States, quicker and something called customer service.
The Swedes and Norwegians seemed to do OK in Leno.... I wonder if I could get a UK spot in Offshore (providing I do some racing) for next year  :D :o
Pics and vids will take a while, away for the weekend partying O0

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2007, 08:12:24 am »

Good grief Ian, do you and Danny ever speak English or do you talk in code to keep it all secret. :-\ ???
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2007, 06:01:06 pm »

Propellers Dicky ;) ABC 3014/2, 3.0" diameter, pitch 1.4 times diameter, 2 blades. Propshop 7016/3, 70mm dimeter, pitch 1.6 times diameter, 3 blade. What it all adds up to is d*** good fun  O0

omra85

« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2007, 08:02:08 pm »

I would imagine the 2716 would be great for straight line, but unless you're REALLY light, it will be a pig to get going after a corner.

Oh, I forgot FSR-O doesn't have corners - only nicely sweeping bends at each end!  I've heard that NAVIGA are looking into "banking" them to make cornering even easier ;D ;D

They won't let OMRA play because we're not in the MPBA, and the MPBA is the only organisation recognised by NAVIGA ::)
So unless I join the MPBA and race at 2 of the circuit event, I can't go to Internationals  :'( :'(  The circuit races in the UK are known to be incredibly exciting, sometimes having as many as 2 boats on the water at the same time  :o :o :o
Also a certain retailer of boats who you know well says we're not fast enough >:(
When I look at the Leno (or WC) results and see how well the British team did - it fills my heart with joy, knowing that the best Britain has to offer did so well.  As many as NINE laps in only 12 minutes - wow  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm going for a lie down in a quiet, darkened room.  (rant over)  ::)

Danny

AC RAZOR 45

« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2007, 10:06:12 pm »

More progress, if everything goes to plan then we will have a launch this weekend :)
Completed radiobox, didn't turn out too badly in the end.
Tank mount in place.
Kwikfill in place, some people don't like these, so far I've had no problems with them and like the easy solution to filling the tank and only two tank connections.

hi m8 could not see a fail safe in that radio box is it hidden ...alan

omra85

« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2007, 10:24:18 pm »

Alan
Ian races in Sweden - maybe a failsafe is optional - the have muscular blond Swedish giants who swim after the boat and catch it  ;D ;D
and some of them are blokes  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Danny

pete_486

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2007, 10:28:33 pm »

so thats where abba went to lol...........Pete

AC RAZOR 45

« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2007, 10:31:11 pm »

NICE REPLY DANNY, SO THATS WHAT THE BLOND BIT FROM ABBA IS DOING FOR A LIVING NOW O0 O0 O0 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

AC RAZOR 45

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2007, 10:33:26 pm »

OH NO HERE WE GO AGAIN ON THE ABBA THEME ;D ;D

omra85

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2007, 10:44:04 pm »

Its - "Mama mia, here we go again"
 ;D ;D
Danny

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2007, 03:25:37 pm »

hi m8 could not see a fail safe in that radio box is it hidden ...alan

It's a Multiplex Rx, the failsafe is built in and works well O0

The less said about Abba the better.........

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2007, 07:27:47 pm »

Son whats wrong with ABBA then, guaranteed to get you up after a few! ;D
Rubbin is Racin!

DaveMarles

« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2007, 08:37:32 pm »

I would imagine the 2716 would be great for straight line, but unless you're REALLY light, it will be a pig to get going after a corner.

Oh, I forgot FSR-O doesn't have corners - only nicely sweeping bends at each end!  I've heard that NAVIGA are looking into "banking" them to make cornering even easier ;D ;D

They won't let OMRA play because we're not in the MPBA, and the MPBA is the only organisation recognised by NAVIGA ::)
So unless I join the MPBA and race at 2 of the circuit event, I can't go to Internationals  :'( :'(  The circuit races in the UK are known to be incredibly exciting, sometimes having as many as 2 boats on the water at the same time  :o :o :o
Also a certain retailer of boats who you know well says we're not fast enough >:(
When I look at the Leno (or WC) results and see how well the British team did - it fills my heart with joy, knowing that the best Britain has to offer did so well.  As many as NINE laps in only 12 minutes - wow  ;D ;D ;D ;D
I'm going for a lie down in a quiet, darkened room.  (rant over)  ::)
Danny

Danny I don't know why you feel the need to decry the efforts of others at International races. I would suggest you have a go yourself and then we can all applaud if you win.
     Regarding the International at Leno in August, I think we had only 2 competitors in the Naviga offshore there and very difficult hot conditions.  Re.the 2007 World Champs, I noticed that the Brits won a gold medal and a silver medal in Naviga Offshore which doesn't seem too bad considering there are only 4 senior classes and a LOT of boats and very experienced international racers in the competition, but perhaps you had not noticed that. 
    The Naviga offshore course is similar to the OMRA course that was used at Telford earlier this year (except the Naviga straights are longer) and so I don't understand your sniping over that either.  If you think the Naviga offshore boats couldn't run on an OMRA course, then think again because many could run on an FSRV course.
    As for the the MPBA being the only UK association affiliated to Naviga, I'm reminded of the lottery advert,  'To win it you have to be in it'. 

Dave

omra85

« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2007, 10:31:58 pm »

(Sorry to hijack your thread Ian but.... )

Dave
My views on the misrepresentation of OFFSHORE model boat racing are well known.
It is a fact that ANY member of OMRA has to join the MPBA in order to compete in so-called offshore internationals (which are run to NAVIGA rules), including the World Championships.  The racing that NAVIGA manages is NOT offshore and usually takes place on similar lakes to multi.  The rules are more like the UK circuit racing which seems to have less support than multi.
So to race in the WC's, I have to join the MPBA again (lets not forget that I served 2 years as Midland area MPBA secretary, 5 years as MPBA multi secretary, and 1 (or 2?) years as MPBA multi chairman) and then race in two circuit races (most of the racers who I don't even know) to enable me to enter the Eliminators - which would be held if there was more interest!
OMRA is bigger than multi with more competitors (check the relative drivers championship tables) and hold more events yet do not even receive recognition from our National body or NAVIGA.
I am not 'sniping' at the individuals racing in the internationals or the WC's only at the methods used to enable them to be there in the first place. They are supposed to be representing Great Britain therefore should be the best and if that means altering the entry criteria to get more interest and the best competitors, or to include GENUINE offshore racers then that would only be a good thing.
So long as OMRA and the MPBA are not talking, this will go on - which saddens me, not because I want to "play in your backyard" but I know there are others who, given a bit of encouragement, would be delighted to be offered the chance to represent their country doing what they enjoy most.
NAVIGA, in turn, are not listening (or being given the correct information) as to how real offshore races are held so seem to be catering for people who like short fast races with no rescue (circuit).
I can hardly expect an unbiased opinion from you as you are in the business of selling boats both here and abroad so obviously you will be supporting the group buying most of your boats. You do, however, have influence with senior members of the MPBA and NAVIGA and could, should you so desire, influence decisions made about the entry criteria or the fact that only ONE national body is recognised for ALL types of model boating.  It seems unfortunate that the only type of model boating NOT incorporated in the MPBA is offshore (apart from the fact that there is one position for "offshore secretary" within the Circuit racing section which is currently vacant).  The fact that it is vacant, with so many active offshore racers should SHOUT something to the MPBA and that is that we do NOT want to be a sub section of Circuit Racing - which presumably is why so few in OMRA want to join the MPBA.
And thus why many good and dedicated racers do not enter the WC's.
Danny

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2007, 10:55:23 pm »

Wow Danny take a deep breath have a few beers and chill mate  O0,good post though and well put i felt  ;).

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2007, 08:12:47 am »

Interesting discussion, what is "Offshore"? I can relate to both camps... Me, I would like to see the offshore class run on a different shaped course every race weekend with right and left turns, tight turns, long straights and short straights, mix it up and watch the boats develop.... O0 O0

Having two organizations in the UK for such a small sport/hobby as rc boating seems slightly ridiculous, with the number of people involved one umbrella organization must be able to present a better case to authorities and councils when looking for places to run. One only needs to look at the US to see what problems two similar organizations can cause ::)

"O" may be offshore but it relates more to the type of drive and hull than ability to run on the open sea, it describes a racing boat adjusted to its racing conditions. Sure, it is more like circuit racing at the Naviga Worlds with the oval course, so be it. The only way to adjust that is to get Naviga to revert to an M course. The current course for Naviga FSR-O was voted in not too long ago, pushed by the Norwegians I believe, one of the reasons being that their large monos/catamarans had great difficulty on a M course.

Here in Sweden the "O" drivers think that the oval course is boring/not challenging, so nationally they still race their championship on a M course, this does not mean they need a second organization to do it... Due to the fact that boats set up this way are not the always at their best on an oval they run a special race weekend to decide World Championship participation, should one wish to this is the only race needed to get to the Worlds.

Danny, unfortunately for you, NAVIGA is the recognized world body for boating, to change the rules you need to be in the organization, I guess the MPBA is the same. As you have a functioning system maybe you should apply to NAVIGA for accreditation, failing that discussions with MPBA would be good, they surely don't want to turn away a successful group of modellers... A solution similar to the Swedish may be a way forward  ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.